If we went undefeated, would the fans come back? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If we went undefeated, would the fans come back?

Reaction Score
I think the brand power of the opponent has a lot to do with it. Look at the 30k+ games during the Diaco era, no matter how good (or unwatchable) UConn was, people would show up for brand name programs and USF who is probably the strongest 'rival' we've had in the past decade. If we played (BC/Pitt/Rutty/WVU) on a sunny day in September I think we could expect 35k regardless of our record and/or ranking. The average will get better though as HCRE gets us back to consistent bowl games.

2013 Maryland: 38,916
2013 Michigan: 42,704
2013 USF: 37,861
2014 BYU: 35,150
2014 Boise: 30,098
2015 Navy: 33,204
2015 USF: 31,719
2016 Virginia: 31,036
2016 Cuse: 31,899
*2016 @ BC: (there were a ton of Husky fans on hand to watch the worst offense of all time)

Reaction Score
Boy I remember those night games in 2010. They were magical. Complete with the ESPN cables across the stadium. I want that again.

Reaction Score
In our current situation (AAC) the interest in the games just isn’t there like when UConn was in the Big East. I had lots of buddies who would go cause they wanted to see us play West Virginia, Cuse, Pitt and Rutgers. Those same guys laugh when I ask if they want to go see Tulsa or SMU. 30,000 is the new 40,000 for the time being. If we become top 25 that could spring some more interest. Until the acc comes knocking...it is what it is!?!? I’ll keep going to every game I can...as long as I can find someone to go! That’s getting difficult, I’ve banned my own wife from coming with me cause she nags so much!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As long as UCONN is in the American Athletic Conference....No. It still feels like D2 to most. Sorry to the diehards on this board.

That's really dumb.

Reaction Score
"Fans" claim the football is garbage (or D2??) but this is a good football conference. The AAC literally brings a top-25 team to the Rent every season. It's on the fair weather folk waiting for Michigan to walk through those doors again... If you love UConn and love football, you're probably on the BY writing about attendance issues but if you "like" UConn and "like" football there is no excuse to NOT support this team now that AD Dave is cleaning up the mess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If somehow UConn could become perennial conference title contenders with an occasional title mixed in, we would fill the building.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
That's really dumb.

I don't like it either, but the average college football fan does not even know what the American is. I have been in multiple American cities (Boston, New York, Chicago) and people thought UCONN was still in the Big East.

Reaction Score
"Fans" claim the football is garbage (or D2??) but this is a good football conference. The AAC literally brings a top-25 team to the Rent every season. It's on the fair weather folk waiting for Michigan to walk through those doors again... If you love UConn and love football, you're probably on the BY writing about attendance issues but if you "like" UConn and "like" football there is no excuse to NOT support this team now that AD Dave is cleaning up the mess.

The matchups just aren’t captivating. The schools have no geographical relevance. It’s essentially conference USA.

Reaction Score
I don't like it either, but the average college football fan does not even know what the American is. I have been in multiple American cities (Boston, New York, Chicago) and people thought UCONN was still in the Big East.
Doesn’t sound like big fans of college sports...or they would know that.

Reaction Score
It's true. Everyone thinks UConn is in the Big East or ACC. They just don't care enough to know for sure. It only matters if they are playing us. My son and his friends are basketball players and they ask me what conference UConn is in when they hear something on tv that indicates to them that UConn isn't in a conference they've heard of. The only one of them that knows that sort of thing is the foreign immigrant kid that reads everything he can about every subject and plans to go to med school at Harvard or Yale. The regular kids, no clue. When I tell them the answer they go "what, they need to get in a good conference". I am then uncomfortable and sort of embarrassed because I feel like a failure. It's a weird feeling, but all of you probably understand exactly what I mean.

Reaction Score
Around here, college football fans know. Fans of a particular team, but not the overall sport, they don't know.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of the football program, non alum - so feel free to pass immediately after this point - just casual fan observance who wants to see the program succeed but wonders if it's remotely possible at this point.

Fans don't come to games:

-The team is absolutely, undeniably terrible
-The tailgating scene is really bad. I've done this, UMass, BC, Syracuse - UConn's was indescribably bad. UMass' is definitely the weirdest as it's packed to the brim, people really seem into it and then like 12 people go to the game
-It's expensive
-The match ups aren't interesting even on a traditional rivalry standpoint (no 'Cuse, etc - so even if the teams suck at least there's some sort of pride at stake)
-Not being on campus *feels* like a killer.

On the good side
-I've always liked Edsall because he seems to know how to sell the program
-Structurally and theoretically - this program should get better and be fine.

On the bad side
-The northeast isn't a football haven, so forget just the recruiting challenges - culturally it's lacking. That's the biggest mountain to climb
-The program hasn't taken advantage of the kinds of things that make college football such an ongoing circus (in a good way) like having games on campus, etc.
-You have exceptional pro teams (The Pats being obvious, the Giants winning two Super Bowls in 10 years, too) where you can just see better football
-There are good teams in the conference (actually the conference is almost egregiously underrated) but they're not traditional powers and don't travel well.. and aren't good enough to reverse market ala Spoelstra
-They've just seemingly run out of time.
-Too much of developing athletics has been tied to rebuilding Hartford

Like 10 years ago, I was all for UConn making a big go at being a D1 mainstay. They had an opportunity they smartly took - but since Edsall left post-Fiesta Bowl, they've seemingly been totally unprepared for the inevitable step back and have made almost every bad move a program can make since then. And just the way everything else has fallen around them in terms of realignment and the developments within college football itself, if just seems like it's been a combination of making bad moves and all the other things they needed to fall the right way for the program they *can't control* has fallen the opposite.

I just dunno how much 'legs' there are for this experiment anymore. The hoops program got a blessing with the 2014 national title and bought more time, but that doesn't seem headed in the right direction, which I feel like almost puts more pressure on football to get unrealistically better on an increasingly unrealistic timeline.

I saw the crappy attendance numbers tonight and said to myself 'heck with it, I should go' and did. I don't regret it - but man, this program feels like it's twitching and the athletics department as a whole is going to have an awful decision to make sooner rather than later. While there's no question getting into a P5 conference should be a priority, I can't help but feel they need to take the low hanging fruit and consider the Big East for hoops long and hard...

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
There was a lot of excitement on the move from 1aa. The stadium was full for a lot of games back then. A lot of that was based on who we were playing. Even if we were now undefeated in this conference, would most fans come back? I watch a lot of AAC games on tv. There are empty stadiums all around the conference. We have 3 ranked teams now? Does anyone (besides people on this board) care?

You still have dial up and an AOL account, don't you?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I gotta say, yesterday was the first time I’ve ever had someone say something to me about my UConn Jersey I was wearing. At BJs one of the samples guys asked me whose jersey number I was wearing. It was a #33 older jersey. I told him it was A RB named Cornell Brockington. The guy asked if ever made it next level. I said no but he was solid for us. The guy went on to say that he only knows about Dan O because he used to teach him at Shelton High. He said he was a great guy, etc.... I told him it was Dan O day with a bobble head. He laughed because he still remembers him as a HS student. Later I was leaving BJs and the receipt checker (no clue why they even have them) asked me about the program. He was a younger guy too.

So it was interesting to see that some people still have memories of the program existing. I still think if we had a schedule full of teams we have history with we’d have a more full stadium. Nobody cares about playing AAC teams, no matter how good they are. They miss playing teams they learned to hate through BE basketball. Those games had more investment in them. Wish we could turn back the clock and figure out how to keep the BE intact pre BC and Miami and VTech leaving.

Reaction Score
It's true. Everyone thinks UConn is in the Big East or ACC. They just don't care enough to know for sure. It only matters if they are playing us. My son and his friends are basketball players and they ask me what conference UConn is in when they hear something on tv that indicates to them that UConn isn't in a conference they've heard of. The only one of them that knows that sort of thing is the foreign immigrant kid that reads everything he can about every subject and plans to go to med school at Harvard or Yale. The regular kids, no clue. When I tell them the answer they go "what, they need to get in a good conference". I am then uncomfortable and sort of embarrassed because I feel like a failure. It's a weird feeling, but all of you probably understand exactly what I mean.
You feel like a failure because of the conference UConn is? I'll admit it's difficult explaining to a non diehard that UConn is no longer in the Big East and what the American Conference is but a failure is a bit much no?

Reaction Score
Back then, the upsdie to Uconn football was maybe get lucky with a local QB, win with a strong running game and defense and have a few things fall right and play in a meaningful bowl game. There was a path to be competitive nationally.

First it was Big eAst, thenPP and then Diaco...now the gap between the P5 and rest is enormous and the casual fans see a program that has ZERO chance to be relevent nationally. There is no upside to rooting for the program. The same thing is happening to the MBB program as well.

The fan base roots for the following teams: Sox, Yanks, Pats, Giants, Celtics, Knicks, Bruins, WBB...outside of the Knicks theya re all championship caliber organizations. There is no room to root for a program that literally has no chance.

So you couple that with the fact that football attendance/ratings are down everywhere, that the economy in central CT is a disaster, and that the cost of the tickets does not match the quality of play and, well, you get 14k people to a game

Reaction Score
Watching ESPN this morning, one of the announcers noted Florida has a lot of empty seats, largely attributed to the lack of offense.

Try seven years of it and Florida's stadium would be half full also.

It won't happen overnight but a good product on the field and some meaningful football games will bring back fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom