If we have 1 scholarship for next year... | The Boneyard

If we have 1 scholarship for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Is there a grad transfer out there who averages 14/7, is atleast 6'11", can hit a jump shot from anywhere, and rebound the hell out of the ball? Wishful thinking, but that's what this team needs.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Is there a grad transfer out there who averages 14/7, is atleast 6'11", can hit a jump shot from anywhere, and rebound the hell out of the ball? Wishful thinking, but that's what this team needs.
Godzingis?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if there is someone out there averaging that i dont think he'll be wanting to stay in college any longer... it's also time to work on our team instead of always bringing transfer players in

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Thon Maker. We need a dominant center who can score. Imagine if we had Diamond Stone?

Reaction Score
Thon Maker.
Looks like he's Arizona State bound. Nothing weird there... It would/will please me to see Bobby Hurley catch a postseason ban for recruiting violations.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
if there is someone out there averaging that i dont think he'll be wanting to stay in college any longer... it's also time to work on our team instead of always bringing transfer players in
We just need 1 guy who can provide experience and muscle down low. I'm not a big fan of the grad transfer either, but Evans and Kromah worked out just as the doctor ordered. I agree, we shouldn't have to rely on 2 grad transfers to lead our team, but ideally we can bring in a guy to plug some holes while also developing the young guys. I don't think Enoch will be quite ready next year.
If we can just get a guy who can come in and give us 6+ boards and be a presence rather than get bullied around like Facey/Brimah that would be beautiful.

Reaction Score
We also need another shooter/sf athletic type who could stroke the 3. I wish we could get Wayne Selden type for next year. That would be great. Let's hope Larrie is better than his numbers at VCU and has a better handle than what I have seen.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We also need another shooter/sf athletic type who could stroke the 3. I wish we could get Wayne Selden type for next year. That would be great. Let's hope Larrie is better than his numbers at VCU and has a better handle than what I have seen.
I'd rather just let Jackson and Larrier develop there. Adams, Gilbert, Hamilton and Purvis will generate enough offense and open looks for Jackson.
We desperately need a big rebounder with experience.

Reaction Score
I'd rather just let Jackson and Larrier develop there. Adams, Gilbert, Hamilton and Purvis will generate enough offense and open looks for Jackson.
Well I would love for this player to be more of the bigger shooting guard. I don't see either Larrier(lack of dribbling and shooting) and Jackson(lack of athletic talent) to be able to slide to the 2.

Reaction Score
Although it was necessary this year, with the pieces we will be having the next 3 or so years, we may not want to be looking at transfers who would demand more than 15-20 minutes per game.

Reaction Score

I tend to think that Larrier and Jackson will turn out to be serviceable players who are nothing special. We tend to deify almost every player who comes in and most of them turn out to be average to slightly above. I'm not knocking the players or the BY talent evaluators - its just what most of us do as fans. To answer the question, we need a stud center who can get us 10 rpg and score 10-15 per game. Brimah will never be that guy and the jury is still out on Enoch. And its unreasonable to expect that immediately.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I tend to think that Larrier and Jackson will turn out to be serviceable players who are nothing special. We tend to deify almost every player who comes in and most of them turn out to be average to slightly above. I'm not knocking the players or the BY talent evaluators - its just what most of us do as fans. To answer the question, we need a stud center who can get us 10 rpg and score 10-15 per game. Brimah will never be that guy and the jury is still out on Enoch. And its unreasonable to expect that immediately.
I don't expect Vance Jackson to turn into a deity. Is there anyone on here that does? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to turn into a slightly better Giffey. Not necessarily a freak athlete, but can knock down 2-3 threes a game and gives us solid defense, and occasionally explode for 15+.

I think it's very unlikely that we get a big guy who averages a double-double for next year. We just need someone with experience that can bang down low if need be, especially if we face a team like Kansas. I could see us getting a 6'11" 14/8 mid major grad transfer. After all, I think Ollie might have expected Lubin to turn into a guy who can bang down low, but it was clear that he was not that guy and we felt that hole this year.

Reaction Score

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Not sure your correct as I remember a few players lower rating coming in and making a real difference, like Napier, Boatright, and Lamb to name a few. So we never know before they put on the jersey.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should be bringing in a grad transfer that is going to start unless they're a dominant 5. A guard for depth purposes would be nice, though. There's also nothing wrong with hoarding a scholarship for '17

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think we should be bringing in a grad transfer that is going to start unless they're a dominant 5. A guard for depth purposes would be nice, though. There's also nothing wrong with hoarding a scholarship for '17

IIRC that's what we did in '14 banking on a stronger '15 class. Obviously KO is doing much, much better with recruiting than he was back then, but I'm still skeptical of banking scholarships. Plus, we will lose Purvis, Brimah, Facey, and SCJ after '17, and maybe Hamilton too if he takes a leap.

Reaction Score
IIRC that's what we did in '14 banking on a stronger '15 class. Obviously KO is doing much, much better with recruiting than he was back then, but I'm still skeptical of banking scholarships. Plus, we will lose Purvis, Brimah, Facey, and SCJ after '17, and maybe Hamilton too if he takes a leap.

Is there anyone out there, though, that we are looking at for the '16 class? Maybe someone we can redshirt and develop? I know that guard from Cal just reopened his recruitment

Reaction Score
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160229/uconn-commit-zach-brown-back-original-high-school-in-miami

Brown is still fully committed to UConn, and Shaw said he’s spoken to Kevin Ollie and that the Huskies are still committed to Brown. One thing is certain, however: Brown will absolutely not re-classify to 2016. That’s the main reason he transferred to PSA, but the adjustment and the academic stress became too much for him.

It's good to hear that:
1) KO recognized our bigs are inadequate and was pushing for an impact recruit in Brown to come for 2016
2) Once it was obvious Brown couldn't handle it, we backed off on the pressure
3) Brown's still committed to us for 2017

Reaction Score
A guard should be a strong consideration (if anyone decent is available). We have three serviceable guards on the entire roster next year (Adams, Gilbert, and Purvis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom