If we had legit QB we are a Top 25 team | The Boneyard

If we had legit QB we are a Top 25 team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we had a real Division 1 QB I think this team could be really good. I like Isiah Moore reminds me a little of Marcus Easley. Isiah Moore seems to find space to get open and catches the ball. But he needs to do it more often and against better competition. Nick Williams is a play maker nothing more needs to be said. I like McCombs at running back but with no passing game it's going to be a struggle. I think the components are there to be a top 25 team but with lack of QB play not going to happen this year. Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Our RBs are clearly not up to the Todman/Dixon/Brown level we've been at the last few years

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Disagree. Our special teams, OL, and RB positions are not close to top 25 level. WR's and TE's are good but not spectactuar. With an average quarterback we are probably undefeated right now, but would be more of a 40-45 team instead of a legit Top 25 team.

With a really good QB like Wilson, Luck, Griffin, etc? Yeah, we'd be top 25.

Reaction Score
Our RBs are clearly not up to the Todman/Dixon/Brown level we've been at the last few years
Our RBs are not even of the Chris Bellamy, Cornel Brockington level. After the run of RBs we've had, I'm shocked mcCombs is starting for us. Frey or Meme Wylie would make us a very different offense right now.

Reaction Score
Our RBs are not even of the Chris Bellamy, Cornel Brockington level. After the run of RBs we've had, I'm shocked mcCombs is starting for us. Frey or Meme Wylie would make us a very different offense right now.

Agreed. McCombs is okay, but he goes down as soon as he's touched.

Also noticed during the Vandy game, on McEntee's INTs, McCombs wanted nothing to do with making a tackle. Doesn't mean he isn't a nice player - but we're in trouble if he's our workhorse.

Reaction Score
While it's way, way too early to give up on our young QB's I'm intrigued with Casey C. His team won 64-14 tonight (50 points so they're ok) Beat New Fairfield, who I'm sure is no powerhouse, but none the less.....

Reaction Score
I don't think we'd be ranked, but even w/ an average QB we would unquestionably be 4 - 0.

Reaction Score
All about the O-Line! this is the first game i watched on TV because I've seen every other game live (drove to vandy) and it was so obvious how bad our O-Line is--- i don't understand why either... When Mac had time to throw, or at least an avenue to move he was solid, running game-- he had no where to go! O line is bad!!!

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
If we had a real Division 1 QB I think this team could be really good. I like Isiah Moore reminds me a little of Marcus Easley. Isiah Moore seems to find space to get open and catches the ball. But he needs to do it more often and against better competition. Nick Williams is a play maker nothing more needs to be said. I like McCombs at running back but with no passing game it's going to be a struggle. I think the components are there to be a top 25 team but with lack of QB play not going to happen this year. Any thoughts?
Calling RutgersAl to the Forum, Calling RutgersAl to the Forum!

Reaction Score

I love the enthusiasm but lets not get carried away. Our Defense is first-rate, probably a top-20, top-15 crew.

But there are holes all over the map on offense besides the QB.
  • Our running back stable in particular is very, very weak. McCombs is shifty but can't get to the edge with pure speed and has zero ability to break tackles. The second someone breathes on him he is down.
  • WR is OK but there doesn't seem to be anyone in the bunch who can go up and get the ball. Love lil' Nicky Williams but lets ease up with the Welker stuff. He has great COD skills but I want to see if more than once every 7 games.
  • TE is solid but so far unspectacular
  • OL has been a HUGE dissapointment. It has to be an issue in picking up the new scheme, because the players did not just get worse all of the sudden. Going from 2008 International bowl when we threw 6 passes because we pushed UB around to this game was an enormous wake-up call up front.
  • And then there is QB

So, like I said love the enthusiasm, but I believe you are incredibly off-base with your analysis of the situation.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Agreed. McCombs is okay, but he goes down as soon as he's touched.
Todman was exactly the same his freshman year, the difference was that we had Brown (and Dixon) back then. Todman had more speed but he also went down immediately.

Reaction Score

Todman wasn't on the Todman level his first year.

You can't just throw players out there, you have to let them develop.

Reaction Score

Absolutely. There are going to be bumps along the way at any position for freshman. Then the game begins to slow down, they pick up things . . .etc.

I would like to see Foxx get some time. In his very limited time, it is obvious he is quicker than Mcoombs, and at worst he is the equal to him in pass blocking (Heck, everyone who posts on this board is equal to McCoombs as a pass blocker) Even if it is five carries. Lets see what he does with the small opportunity.

Reaction Score
You're not giving credit to UBuffalo. The local papers tout their DLine as their most experienced, mosr talented ever. Then, give the OLine some slack because we are seriously below our standard RB at this time.

I think we really miss Robbie Frey ... and Sherman.

Reaction Score
Hard to say if we'd be top 25, but i agree we'd be 4-0 as both losses were winnable with better QB play...that being said, RB and OL has room to improve...D has been solid and good enough to be 4-0

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think we really miss Robbie Frey ... and Sherman.
I think Meme could have been a nice option for us between the tackles. 40/40/20 between Frey/Meme/McCombs could have been very effective. And yes, without a doubt we are missing Sherman greatly.

Reaction Score

Agreed but you also can't expect a player who played between 145-150 lbs in high school where he was quick and blew by people to put on 15-25 lbs and retain that same quickness and speed; and this more than anything is what we are seeing with McCoombs. He was listed by Rivals as 5-8 180 lbs in his recruiting bio, but guys I know through work from Staten Island say he was more like 140-145 lbs his senior year at St Joseph by the Sea. He is now listed as 5-8 172 lbs on the roster.

Reaction Score
Agree with others. Too many questions at RB, O line, to be a legit top 25 team at this point.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Credible QB plus a Todman level running game and some better depth (for example on the O-line) would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom