If we had a team as good as Villanova's | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If we had a team as good as Villanova's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know the solution because I always look at things through a basketball prism. But if football has to get stronger in our conference then so be it, our league teams are in football rich zones. Not all of the power 5 conference football teams are good. But as far as basketball goes right now they have a stranglehold on the good TV time and that affects our potential recruits. They know what's on and when as far as marquee matchups and they want exposure. Even crap ACC teams play he high visibility ones.

Reaction Score
With this situation. Soon you are going to see Connecticut have to travel thousand of miles in their OOC to play teams that are considered legit enough to boost RPIs and credibility. This is what I been talking all along. We can hate all the Northeast programs because they are our rivals... but overall we need the region to succeed. Do you we really wanna be forced to play games across the country in the OOC season. Teams that you can't relate to, teams that generate no interest back home? teams that have no history against us? teams that don't draw TV ratings in the Northeast. Teams that you can't hop on your car and drive 2-8 hours to watch your team play at their home

Maybe I'm exaggerating. But I do feel the worst is yet to come. Not only for Connecticut... but for everyone.

these sanctions on Syracuse only make it worst (as much as I hate them)

Reaction Score
With this situation. Soon you are going to see Connecticut have to travel thousand of miles in their OOC to play teams that are considered legit enough to boost RPIs and credibility. This is what I been talking all along. We can hate all the Northeast programs because they are our rivals... but overall we need the region to succeed. Do you we really wanna be forced to play games across the country in the OOC season. Teams that you can't relate to, teams that generate no interest back home? teams that have no history against us? teams that don't draw TV ratings in the Northeast. Teams that you can't hop on your car and drive 2-8 hours to watch your team play at their home

Maybe I'm exaggerating. But I do feel the worst is yet to come. Not only for Connecticut... but for everyone.

I'd rather play strong teams in our region as opposed to having home and home contracts with Texas and Stanford. We need other programs to step up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Dude, I said this a thousand times before. Connecticut alone is not enough to make the region watch College basketball. You need at least 5-6 teams playing each other every year that are on the running for the championship. For example: Syracuse, Connecticut, Providence, Villanova and any other team (st. john's, GT, Temple). That will keep people interested. Who the ** wants to watch a Kentucky team or a team from the Midwest every day on TV... a team you can't relate and you can't watch live even if you wanted to...

The breakup of the Big East is gonna have a more long lasting impact on the region than many of us think
I think you're the first Ignore of the post-season. You keep saying the same thing.

Reaction Score
I think you're the first Ignore of the post-season. You keep saying the same thing.

Yes I'm saying the same thing. I'm glad you realized. I'm saying the same thing because I'm worried about it. It seems like no one else truly cares.

Reaction Score
How in the same post can you say the hybrid model was never going to work and then the Big East with Penn St even though they had a bunch of catholic schools with no football, making it a hybrid model, would have been fine?
Penn State is the difference. Even though they stink at hoops, they were the big dog among eastern schools. They would have solidified the league. Without Penn St., the football schools got no respect. This is why they went out and got Miami. Unfortunately, because Miami was such an outlier, they always had their eye on the door.

Reaction Score
If you had nova going far in your bracket, you're gonna have a bad time
2ubPze1.jpg

Reaction Score
My biggest nightmare. If Georgetown loses and they are losing right now... they will be no Northeast team left in the NCAA. Sad days coming for Northeast basketball. The northeast is getting shut out of big time NCAA just like college football. I wonder how much longer will Connecticut be able to hold, and Syracuse (under sanctions).... that's it

G Town? PE-TOOWEY!!!! I spit on G Town.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yeah but unfortunately. ESPN and the Power-5 are quick to make people forget that. Its crazy how on a yearly basis they re-write which conference is the most powerful, which one gets the most bids... things move very quickly in the CBB landscape. Everyone is quick to point out that conference is weak, this conference is strong, this conference is the best... etc.

Because those are kinetic measurements? Those things typically do change from year to year.

Reaction Score

By the way, Maryland is still in the tournament. If Georgetown is a northeastern team, then so is Maryland. So they're not all out.

In fact, Maryland plays West Virginia, who I think of as Appalachian/Atlantic, but they also have northeastern cred.

I'll be rooting for WV.

Reaction Score
Pitt and Cuse made their move to protect football. Football is always going to be the first priority with them. The hybrid model was going to fail eventually. UConn recognized that, which is why they moved up in football. The BE was shortsighted not to add Penn State during the 80's. It was Penn St. going to the Big 10 that destabilized everything. With Penn St. in the fold, it would have been easy to start the football league. No league with PSU in it was ever going to be marginalized. You would have added the rest of the eastern football schools (WVU, Rutgers, etc), and maybe a school or two from bordering regions. None of the core schools would have ever left.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda..

Reaction Score
By the way, Maryland is still in the tournament. If Georgetown is a northeastern team, then so is Maryland. So they're not all out.

In fact, Maryland plays West Virginia, who I think of as Appalachian/Atlantic, but they also have northeastern cred.

I'll be rooting for WV.

Geezz. totally forgot about Maryland! Even though they never had the traditional northeast feel as they were always part of the ACC. Nonetheless I will root for them. I have no one left closer to root for in this tourney. busted bracket

Screw WVirginia

Reaction Score
Geezz. totally forgot about Maryland! Even though they never had the traditional northeast feel as they were always part of the ACC. Nonetheless I will root for them. I have no one left closer to root for in this tourney. busted bracket

Screw WVirginia

Maryland lost to West Virginia.

Go WV!

(UMd is a mortal enemy of UConn and should always be treated as such.)

Reaction Score
Maryland isn't worthy enough to be UConn's mortal enemy. That program sharted the bed when they let Gary Williams go, and they've never recovered.

Reaction Score
Maryland isn't worthy enough to be UConn's mortal enemy. That program sharted the bed when they let Gary Williams go, and they've never recovered.

Gary Williams couldn't stomach the AAU system. He recruited well when you mainly had to deal with high school coaches, but the AAU system is such a slime pit, and at his age, he couldn't make the adjustment, which is why Maryland faded over his last few years.

Reaction Score
Gary Williams couldn't stomach the AAU system. He recruited well when you mainly had to deal with high school coaches, but the AAU system is such a slime pit, and at his age, he couldn't make the adjustment, which is why Maryland faded over his last few years.

I always thought he was super whiny about it, but you do kind of have to respect a guy who has a line he won't cross, especially when it's as dirty as the AAU system.

Reaction Score
If we had a team as good as Villanova we wouldnt have won a national championship last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom