If We Go Independent In Football... Scheduling | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If We Go Independent In Football... Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has done ok with independence and its NBC deal. If we can get a similar (but lite-version) with SNY, why are we not in a better position for football than we would be streaming on the AAC? Imagine we are on TV in NY for every football game for years to come. I don't think we would lose ground in football. And scheduling would come because we are on TV in NY- no? I suspect/hope this is what we are going to hear about independence and it will end up being much better in the end for us than being in AAC.
All good points but the AD will need to some how make up the loss of guaranteed money that the football program loses by going independent. It's a bold move but the money shortfall needs to be addressed, and maybe it already has, but only those very close to the program would already know that. The other option is football only in the AAC (very unlikely) or the MAC. An SNY football deal helps a lot, and I love the fact that UCONN basically just told ESPN to gfthmslvs. Bottom line UCONN football needs to have a better season than the last one, the pressure is on the BOT, the AD, and Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
PP was probably the most knowledgeable coach UConn has ever had. But he had major flaws as a college coach unrelated to knowledge of the game. Thing is, and this still gets me, UConn could have had just about any coach that we wanted after the 2010 season by explaining away the RE departure as a long festering clash with the AD. And yet the powers that be chose PP.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's been a rough ride since 2015 for sure, but we are no worse off than we were a week ago in FB and BB looks a bit better. The balance sheet will also look better.

Look at it this way, the school has been slow to act forna very long time. Think about hoe much of a no brainer this had to have been for them to get off the block?

Win and we'll be no worse off with a higher upside.

Reaction Score
It's been a rough ride since 2015 for sure, but we are no worse off than we were a week ago in FB and BB looks a bit better. The balance sheet will also look better.

Look at it this way, the school has been slow to act forna very long time. Think about hoe much of a no brainer this had to have been for them to get off the block?

Win and we'll be no worse off with a higher upside.
How exactly will the balance sheet look better?

Reaction Score
I'm resigned to an independent football schedule. The question is when? Will the AAC let us take basketball a year earlier than the required 27 month notice called for, and let is keep our FB a year longer? Will they ask for more cash for this?

How about they let us stay for for 3 home and away bball games in both sports in perpetuity? I'm spitballing obviously.

An independent schedule isn't much different for me than an AAC schedule. I never hated the league but it didn't get the juices flowing like games against Rutgers, Pitt, and Syracuse did. If we're playing FIU at home is not that much different to me than if we are playing UCF.

Reaction Score
The AAC might have been tough to look at, but it sure was solid. Going to the Big East feels like going to the MAAC.

Let's schedule a road game at Fairfield University, @superjohn !

Reaction Score
PP was probably the most knowledgeable coach UConn has ever had. But he had major flaws as a college coach unrelated to knowledge of the game. Thing is, and this still gets me, UConn could have had just about any coach that we wanted after the 2010 season by explaining away the RE departure as a long festering clash with the AD. And yet the powers that be chose PP.
The guy that hired Pasqualoni had no knowledge of anything, his mishandling of the athletic dept as a whole, reverberates to this day.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The UMass schedule is a step down from an AAC schedule, but it's better than I expected. Maybe independence can work.

College football without friends (a conference home) is very lonely.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How exactly will the balance sheet look better?

By not losing the $1M we get for WBB, by being able to sell our FB games and T3 MBB games, and by saving a ton of money in travel costs for our non-revenue sports.

This is a money decision more than anything else. Some will try to add increased attendance for playing the old C7 schools in MBB. I'm not willing to go that far as I think the losing was a much bigger factor.

Reaction Score
By not losing the $1M we get for WBB, by being able to sell our FB games and T3 MBB games, and by saving a ton of money in travel costs for our non-revenue sports.

This is a money decision more than anything else. Some will try to add increased attendance for playing the old C7 schools in MBB. I'm not willing to go that far as I think the losing was a much bigger factor.
We get closer to $2m from SNY currently

Reaction Score
A scheduling alliance between BYU and UConn will happen. It’s the right thing to do, and will make sense for both parties. Once details of the agreement are worked out (will it be a home-and-home series, perhaps include a neutral-site contest, and will BYU try to get a 2-for-1 agreement from the desperate Huskies?) the two sides should be open to announcing a series.
How will UConn’s reported return to the Big East impact BYU football?

Reaction Score
Could the independent college teams join together to get their own post season bowl game?

Reaction Score
The guy that hired Pasqualoni had no knowledge of anything, his mishandling of the athletic dept as a whole, reverberates to this day.
True dat. Hathaway wasn't a strategic thinker or a dynamic leader. He thought he'd garner lots of attaboys from the BOT by getting PP for cheap money and making CT HS Coaches happy.

Reaction Score
If we get 6 home games a year it will be a minor miracle.

If this program still exists ten years from now then God intervened.

Reaction Score
True dat. Hathaway wasn't a strategic thinker or a dynamic leader. He thought he'd garner lots of attaboys from the BOT by getting PP for cheap money and making CT HS Coaches happy.
Didn't Larry McHugh pat him on the back?

Reaction Score
Didn't Larry McHugh pat him on the back?
Yes he did. That's what Hathaway was aiming for. He wanted to avoid having to sell the BOT on an expensive big name when the budget was (and always is) an issue. Bottom line he was gutless.

Reaction Score
Yes he did. That's what Hathaway was aiming for. He wanted to avoid having to sell the BOT on an expensive big name when the budget was (and always is) an issue. Bottom line he was gutless.

Hathaway saved a dollar by turning off the heat and the pipes burst.

"Although in recent days it appeared certain that former UMass and New Haven coach Mark Whipple was in line to take over for the departed Edsall, the Huskies have instead turned to the 61-year-old Pasqualoni to be the second head coach in the Division I-A (FCS) era.

One of the sticking points in negotiations with Whipple apparently involved the assistant coaches he'd bring with him and how much they might be paid. Hathaway also put a great deal of stock in Pasqualoni's Big East experience, it seems, in reversing course regarding Whipple."

Reaction Score
In not-so-good news, Vandy & SMU have scheduled a 2-for-1. I know they're in the SEC, but I didnt think Vandy had so much cache. Doesnt bode well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we get 6 home games a year it will be a minor miracle.

If this program still exists ten years from now then God intervened.

I wouldn't want more than 6 home games, and 5 may not be a bad idea. I think season ticket sales would increase with a shorter schedule, because some fans just aren't interested in the commitment of 7 games. I think the casual fans will have fewer choices, which will make the stadium fuller for the games that are played.

This isn't an original idea of mine. The NBA is considering cutting their season length for the same reason, and MLB has been bouncing around a shorter season for years.

The customer demand just isn't there for 7 home games. The only reason to do 6 would be if SNY wanted 6, and then maybe we can work out something for a joint broadcast of a road game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
These schools have open 2020 dates
FSU

Miami

Vetch

SMU

UCF

Florida international

La tech

Southern miss

Uab

Air Force

Arkansas

Coastal Carolina

Louisiana Lafayette

Its time to get working on this schedule 2020. Send Aresco his $10m. I dont want to wait around to be involved in the ESPN renegotiating of its new $1b deal with its faux $7m per school.

Whose got the open dates for each one of these schools figured out? We get as many as we can and then we plug the holes with FCS. So 2020 could be (and likely will be) a season with more than 1 FCS game.

Need to runaway from Aresco as fast as possible. We can threaten to play the slow game (stay the full 27 months), but it sure will be miserable being someplace we dont want to be - plus we need to strike while the iron is hot with SNY and whatever help Fox is ready to provide. That can't get cold.

Let's GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog