If we get past Arkansas… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If we get past Arkansas…

Reaction Score
A three point loss on the road three months ago with no Martin and no Sanogo? It wasn't terrible, and it still completely misses the point to which he's responding. (He's right, by the way, this idea that this team can "lose to anyone" is pretty dumb. Their ceiling might not be as high as some other UConn teams, but their floor is much higher too.) They can beat a good portion of the teams in this tournament on nights when their offense abandons them because they're going to rebound the ____ out of the ball and defend.
They were fortunate to beat St John’s in both games and they were one of the few teams to lose to Xavier while X was in their free fall even they they avenged that loss. Remember they had close games to St bonaventure and VCU.

UConn’s offense can be hard to watch at times and they lack depth. They can lose to anyone that isn’t a 15 or 16 seed. Having said all of that, they do match up well with NM St based on what I have read.

Reaction Score
Weren't we missing one or both of Adama and Tyrese ?
They were without both, but they still should’ve won that game. They blew chances to blow that game open when they were leading between 7-10 points

Reaction Score
Don’t count out UVM. I’ve watched over a dozen of their games this season. Davis and Shungu are a great scoring duo, they take care of the ball, don’t waste possessions, and have strong guard play. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take down Arkansas.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Don’t count out UVM. I’ve watched over a dozen of their games this season. Davis and Shungu are a great scoring duo, they take care of the ball, don’t waste possessions, and have strong guard play. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them take down Arkansas.
I like UVM a lot. But I don’t see it. Even Arkansas recent loss to Tennessee was scary. They were down like 30 and almost won.

Reaction Score
They were fortunate to beat St John’s in both games and they were one of the few teams to lose to Xavier while X was in their free fall even they they avenged that loss. Remember they had close games to St bonaventure and VCU.

UConn’s offense can be hard to watch at times and they lack depth. They can lose to anyone that isn’t a 15 or 16 seed. Having said all of that, they do match up well with NM St based on what I have read.

You lose me when you start with “they were lucky to sweep” some team but more generally a one seed lost by twenty to a 16 and then won the national championship a year later. So upsets happen. It still doesn’t change the idea that UConn is better insulated than a lot of teams that hang their hot on making a ton of jump shots.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"If we get past Arkansas"

200.gif
You do not own the Mojo @Deepster the Mojo owns you.

Reaction Score
This is not as good of a Vermont team as some of the previous ones.
They certainly don’t have a Taylor Coppenrath on this squad. And I didn’t say they would beat Arkansas. But by all measures, you’re throwing out an opinion not based on fact. Of their 17 conference wins, 16 were by double digits and most were blowouts. They are 2-1 against NCAA tournament teams this season, with a 10 point loss to PC.

Reaction Score
I want Uconn to avenge that ugly 35 point drubbing Arkansas gave to us during that awful 2017/18 season a few years ago. Tyler Polley and Isaiah Whaley were freshman that year, and I'm sure they haven't forgotten about that game.

Reaction Score
Re: Arkansas vs UVM.. Called March Madness for a reason. UVM's A game can beat Arkansas's B game.. Lower-rated teams will be beating higher-rated as they always do. Having Larry Brown game-planning ahead of a Gonzaga-Memphis game could be interesting.

Reaction Score
It's amusing how aggrieved some of NMSU's fans are at the mere idea that another team's fans would imagine match ups past round 1.

Reaction Score
It's amusing how aggrieved some of NMSU's fans are at the mere idea that another team's fans would imagine match ups past round 1.
Well it is rather presumptuous. We'd be killing another team's fans for doing the same if they were playing UConn in the first game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lots of love for Memphis I’m surprised - Penny will be out coached by Boise St.

Reaction Score
I like UVM a lot. But I don’t see it. Even Arkansas recent loss to Tennessee was scary. They were down like 30 and almost won.

I’ve seen UVM a few times this year. I don’t think they’re athletic enough or good enough individually to play with Arkansas. They did very well this year, but UVM has had a number of teams that have won the conference with substantially more individual talent than this one.

One tie to the Big East. Mazulla, who plays guard for them (started at GW and transferred there), is the younger brother of a Mazulla who played for WVU before they bailed on us.

Reaction Score
They certainly don’t have a Taylor Coppenrath on this squad. And I didn’t say they would beat Arkansas. But by all measures, you’re throwing out an opinion not based on fact. Of their 17 conference wins, 16 were by double digits and most were blowouts. They are 2-1 against NCAA tournament teams this season, with a 10 point loss to PC.
The wins were Yale and Colgate. Neither of them beat anyone good either.

I’m not trashing Vermont. They play very fundamentally solid basketball. But I’ve seen a number of Vermont teams since the Copperwaith era that had substantially more individual talent that made an upset possible than this one

Reaction Score
Well it is rather presumptuous. We'd be killing another team's fans for doing the same if they were playing UConn in the first game.

The whole fun of the tournament is doing a bracket and thinking about future match ups... If that is off the table for you or them, then you're just party poopers.

Reaction Score
The whole fun of the tournament is doing a bracket and thinking about future match ups... If that is off the table for you or them, then you're just party poopers.
That's acceptable, of course.

But the OP was, "If we get past Arkansas …I think we go to the Final Four. I like our chances against Gonzaga and Duke. I think we match up well with both."

What about saying this? "If we get by New Mexico State and Arkansas...."

Reaction Score
That's acceptable, of course.

But the OP was, "If we get past Arkansas …I think we go to the Final Four. I like our chances against Gonzaga and Duke. I think we match up well with both."

What about saying this? "If we get by New Mexico State and Arkansas...."
Strictly speaking, shouldn't Vermont be mentioned too, if we're going to not hurt anyone's feelings.

I think the OP used beating Arkansas as being equal to getting to the sweet 16, and since those games were not the focus of the point they were making, they framed it the way that first popped into their head.

But literally every fanbase looks down the bracket for exciting possibilities, so their indignation is just funny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom