If we fix offense, shooting will get better | The Boneyard

If we fix offense, shooting will get better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I cannot believe what I have been watching on offense this season, capped off by a new level of total ineptness last night in second half. I love coach Ollie, let me repeat, I love coach Ollie and would be happy
if he signed lifetime contract. But - He must improve his coaching of the offense. He blamed the shooting, but it is difficult to shoot when you have very little open shots and everything is forced with shot clock winding down. It seems impossible to have 4 shot clock violations in a game and two in a row at end of game. How many clean looks do we get? How many times is Sterling set up for an open jumper? I can't even remember him taking an open shot in second half. I do believe that we have some very nice individual players but whatever the lack of synergy is, that is what we have, and that I believe is on Ollie. He's got to figure out how to get an offensive flow and some open looks, and yes our guys have to have to start making lay ins and dunks (phil).

Reaction Score
The double screen curl play for a jumpshot or floater or the double stack offense where we run curls off the low post screens on both sides. These plays result in constant movement and a more free flowing offense. Our offense now quite often is spread it out and have Nolan set the high post screen but then he never gets it back off the screen. How easy is that offense to defend? This explains why many times it's pass the ball around the perimeter and put up a forced outside shot when the clock is running down. I blame this lack of adjusting the offensive play calling on Ollie.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with Huskdog and a point I was going to make. We run high pick and roll all the time, but when was the last time you ever so a pass
to the person rolling??? NEVER. Our opponent knows this and it makes it much easier to defend and they can focus on the hedging and going over the screen to stop the ball.

Also, it is up to Ollie - he needs to fix this mess of an offense. We are shooting bad, because we are not getting on the break and in the half court are not getting good shots - period.

Reaction Score
I don't think offensive play design is the whole problem. We have a VERY experienced coaching staff of former player/coaches who have a complete array of plays they draw up. The problem is getting the players to follow through. If the shot clock after bringing it up and a pass or two is 14 seconds, it's now bailout and desperation time and these players are not patient or comfortable with it. What follows is a covered 3 or a drive into the trees, one and done. Will we have someone who can create a shot off dribble next year?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
From an outsiders perspective, your offense doesn't seem much different than it did when you won the National Title. To me, it is entirely predicated on guards beating there man off the dribble and creating plays for the non-ball handlers. The problem is you don't have a guy like Napier to make those backbreaking plays. In last nights game, when the offense was bogging down, Napier would hit a backbreaking step back three to push a 2 point lead to 5, which would probably result in a 5-7 point win. To me it seems Ollie benefited much more from Napier than Napier did from him.

Reaction Score
It's been said before - 20 for his last 91 - "if" he goes 6 for 12 we win.

There, Offense fixed

Reaction Score
The double screen curl play for a jumpshot or floater or the double stack offense where we run curls off the low post screens on both sides. These plays result in constant movement and a more free flowing offense. Our offense now quite often is spread it out and have Nolan set the high post screen but then he never gets it back off the screen. How easy is that offense to defend? This explains why many times it's pass the ball around the perimeter and put up a forced outside shot when the clock is running down. I blame this lack of adjusting the offensive play calling on Ollie.

Agreed. We send Miller out to the high post too. I'd not give Phil the ball back either. After the post screen we make another perimeter pass and the next thing you know we have 5 seconds to shoot 23 feet from the basket.

Better offensive sets should get us more open looks. However, Dham and RP are missing the few open looks they are getting.

Reaction Score
It's been said before - 20 for his last 91 - "if" he goes 6 for 12 we win.

There, Offense fixed
20 for 91? That is not a bad spell, it's a bad season. He would have to improve on that quite a bit to BECOME a bad shooter. If I was KO I would tell him that for now he can take uncontested 3's and shots within 5 feet of the basket.

Reaction Score
20 for 91? That is not a bad spell, it's a bad season. He would have to improve on that quite a bit to BECOME a bad shooter. If I was KO I would tell him that for now he can take uncontested 3's and shots within 5 feet of the basket.

I know huh? Unfortunately our guys aren't too good unless he improves and starts making 40 plus % soon and that is the reality. He gets to the lane better than anyone, gets better looks from short than anyone so he needs to score more than anyone.

Tomorrow would be a great start. I feel for the young guy, he's struggling and I am sure frustrated as hell or more than we could ever know. Hope for his sake he finds a way out of these doldrums offensively. Look he doesn't pout because he rebounds like hell still the fight is there.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We don't have a player that can pick and pop. That's what Ollie wants as a part of his offense. Also the offense as of now needs to run through miller. With next years class coming in I think you'll see the type of team and style of offense that Ollie wants

Reaction Score
If only we made more shots, we'd score more points.

Someone a few weeks ago had the best advice of all. We should just dunk every possession. For some reason we don't and that is a very high percentage shot. No idea why KO doesn't dust off the "dunk" play. Poor coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom