If We Could Solve This Basketball Phenomenon | The Boneyard

If We Could Solve This Basketball Phenomenon

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The funniest show on TV may be SNY’s Connecticut women’s basketball postgames, during which three-person discussion and analysis is provided to explain why and how UConn won by 40."

No, that's not it, though it I in the article and I think it's a yuck. No, it's about coaches who turn the last minute of a decided game into 15. How to solve whatever that is that is going on in the losing coach's mind and get the thing over with!

Two fixes that will put a stop to crazy-long basketball games | New York Post

Of course, the only reason I care: "TV is not happy with these endless endings, either, as the starts to the next game, event — programming of any kind — are being lost, joined deep in progress or delayed.? My game, UConn v. Victim 90 something, is already over!!!

Reaction Score
"The funniest show on TV may be SNY’s Connecticut women’s basketball postgames, during which three-person discussion and analysis is provided to explain why and how UConn won by 40."

No, that's not it, though it I in the article and I think it's a yuck. No, it's about coaches who turn the last minute of a decided game into 15. How to solve whatever that is that is going on in the losing coach's mind and get the thing over with!

Of course, the only reason I care: "TV is not happy with these endless endings, either, as the starts to the next game, event — programming of any kind — are being lost, joined deep in progress or delayed.? My game, UConn v. Victim 90 something, is already over!!!

To speed up the game and thus have more air time to present the end of the games---SWITCH TO THE WOMEN'S FORMAT 4 QUARTERS---THEY END 15 OR MORE MINUTES EARLY. Or for the networks for basketball or football set a realistic schedule with a minimum of 45 minutes buffer to allow the prime time show to arrive on time. The 4 quarters with a buffer for BB works fine--football needs adustments to avoid the boring 40 minute last 10 minutes of the game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I like his suggestion of not allowing a team without possession to call a timeout. I think this could be taken a step further to adopt the international rule of not allowing a timeout while the ball is live.

BroadwayVa raises a good point about the four-quarter format, which reduces the number of preordained stoppages (media timeouts + breaks between halves/quarters) from 8 per game to only 6.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
How about calling those late fouls what they are; deliberate fouls and give the fouled player two shots and the ball out of bounds. Or, if that is too severe, one shot and the ball out of bounds.
until the foul limit is reached, then two.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How about calling those late fouls what they are; deliberate fouls and give the fouled player two shots and the ball out of bounds. Or, if that is too severe, one shot and the ball out of bounds.
until the foul limit is reached, then two.

I would agree in principle. However, I've been dismayed to hear so many commentators (e.g. Burke, Antonelli) talk about how much they miss the "drama" of the one-and-one. I like the abolition of the one-and-one (part of the recent WCBB rule changes) because I believe it makes teams more reluctant to resort to fouling as a late-game tactic.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn versus South Carolina is coming very soon. I don't see a problem here. Or, if nothing else, I see a quick remedy.

Give me more of this lovable team, and I'm happy.

Was the OP article a problem during Uconn's entire historic 95-game winning streak? Was the 90-gamer worse? Were Stewie or Maya bad for the game? What's good for the game?

To me, everything we've had the privilege of witnessing has been good for the game. It could be the greatness of Maya and Tina Or the Three Stooges (Stewie, Morgan, and Mo). Greatness is good for a sport, just as were Usain Bolt or MichaelPhelps.

I prefer the game played at its finest. Great teams flourish, and sometimes they lose. Hopefully, South Carolina at home will be a great platform for the sport and an opportunity for UConn to write its own history book. Hell, I'd read it, and even order it on Amazon.

Personally, I can't wait for Tulsa, even if Tulsa can certainly/happily wait for UConn.

And go Pats!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I like his suggestion of not allowing a team without possession to call a timeout. I think this could be taken a step further to adopt the international rule of not allowing a timeout while the ball is live.

BroadwayVa raises a good point about the four-quarter format, which reduces the number of preordained stoppages (media timeouts + breaks between halves/quarters) from 8 per game to only 6.
Yep. The 4 quarters, while not my favorite, do appear to shave up to 15 minutes off some games.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Was the OP article a problem during Uconn's entire historic 95-game winning streak? Was the 90-gamer worse? Were Stewie or Maya bad for the game? What's good for the game?

Sorry I wasn't clear on this: it's a problem in the men's game, so it screws up the start of the next game up - often women's game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To speed up the game and thus have more air time to present the end of the games---SWITCH TO THE WOMEN'S FORMAT 4 QUARTERS---THEY END 15 OR MORE MINUTES EARLY. Or for the networks for basketball or football set a realistic schedule with a minimum of 45 minutes buffer to allow the prime time show to arrive on time. The 4 quarters with a buffer for BB works fine--football needs adustments to avoid the boring 40 minute last 10 minutes of the game.
Football just needs adjustment. At least on the college level. Yeah, we missed the games this year because my wife was ill. But - if the game wasn't a 4.5 hour marathon, often - we might have been less daunted. Still a long day, what with pre-game booster club meal (avoids traffic and parking snares) etc., but a shorter game would help.

I know there are rules differences, but - if the NFL can manage most games to just about 3 hours, college ought to try and come close.

Of course, 5 minute time outs for endless commercials that I fast forward through are part of the problem too.

Reaction Score
Football just needs adjustment. At least on the college level. Yeah, we missed the games this year because my wife was ill. But - if the game wasn't a 4.5 hour marathon, often - we migh

Two things Knight--my wishes and prayers are with you for your wife. After a life time with a person---the emotions are strong!!
2. Amen! On your comment about the NFL. Amen!!

Reaction Score
Sorry I wasn't clear on this: it's a problem in the men's game, so it screws up the start of the next game up - often women's game.
let me be strong with this OPINION---we will take this thread where we take it!! NFL, AFLIO, Disney, Women, Men,
We are free floating!! Whether you are clear or mud!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
can a brother get a witness???
I viewed it and will attest thereto. Plus we share some genetic encoding. This you have a witness from me. Brother.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You missed the point of my post, or the main thrust. To wit, go Pats!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom