If UCONN wins out..... | The Boneyard

If UCONN wins out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we beat Cinn and bowl, does HCPP get at contract extension? I hope not, but does that topic become a reality.

Reaction Score
He isn't getting an extension but he isn't getting fired, if that's what you're asking

Reaction Score
he was going to be here next year regardless of our performance in the last few games, so you might as well enjoy the wins. I've never heard of a coach with 3 years left on his contract being extended due to a .500 performance

Reaction Score
F^(& YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy FfldCntyFan....get a patch for your blow-up doll....everything will be ok.

Don't want HCPP back either, but I don't have confidence in the AD/President....could see them take the cheap way out and try to extend rather than investing in a better candidate

Reaction Score
He is not getting an extension. The only place this is a real topic of discussion is on this thread.

Reaction Score
We have a top 10 defense nationally and have gotten good QB play. We played a relatively weak schedule this season. How in the world are we struggling to get bowl eligible?

Answer, our coaches, in their infinite wisdom, decided to revamp the OL and royally ducked up our running game in the process. You have a defense like we have and run the ball you win a lot of games. You duck up the running game and this is what you get.

Extension? No. Ward should be sitting down with P at the end of the season and ask the question "why do we keep you on?" Frankly, I fully expect P back next season. But, if he is allowed to come back and keeps GDL and we live through this season or worse then I would send Ward out first and let the new AD work on a new football coach and getting us into a new conference. Ward can be the AD at the Virgin Island College.

Reaction Score
We have a top 10 defense nationally and have gotten good QB play. We played a relatively weak schedule this season. How in the world are we struggling to get bowl eligible?

Answer, our coaches, in their infinite wisdom, decided to revamp the OL and royally ducked up our running game in the process. You have a defense like we have and run the ball you win a lot of games. You duck up the running game and this is what you get.

Extension? No. Ward should be sitting down with P at the end of the season and ask the question "why do we keep you on?" Frankly, I fully expect P back next season. But, if he is allowed to come back and keeps GDL and we live through this season or worse then I would send Ward out first and let the new AD work on a new football coach and getting us into a new conference. Ward can be the AD at the Virgin Island College.

This. I said at the beginning of the season that if Whitmer was an upgrade at QB, we could compete for the Big East Championship. Nothing I have seen this season makes me think I was not being reasonable in my expectations. What I didn't count on were (i) the D not being able to generate anywhere near an average number of takeaways, much less what you would expect from an aggressive D, and (ii) the coaching staff so completely f###ing up our running game that we've had a complete identity change from last season to this one.

There is zero chance he will be fired when we win tomorrow (I'm not even considering what if we lose), but given the two years of performance we've seen and his age I would be shocked if he got an extension.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
If we win and go to a bowl game and win AND he gets an extension, I will never buy another ticket for any games and will stop donating the little money that I have to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Rk Player Cmp 6 Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Chandler Whitmer 192 330 58.2 2400 7.3 5.7 8 15 118.2
Is this really good quarterback play?

Rk Player Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Johnny McEntee 172 335 51.3 2110 6.3 5.9 12 8 111.3
If we got McEntee performance from last year we might have a couple more wins this season.

Reaction Score

If we got McEntee performance from last year we might have a couple more wins this season.

I'm sort of floored that you could post those number and then reach your conclusion. We would be better off with a QB who throws for a yard less per attempt and completes 7% less of his passes? And doesn't move as well in or out of the pocket?

Reaction Score

<scratching head wondering if serious>

Reaction Score
If you take into account interceptions McEntee's yards per attempt is slightly higher at 5.9 vs 5.7. Rushing avg per carry is -2.7 Mac vs -2.2 Whitmer, not really seeing any mobility diference. Couldn't find fumbles anywhere, and don't feel like going game by game to find out the totals. I don't think McEntee is a better QB than Whitmer, I just don't see this year's quarterback play as that much better than last year's if at all.

Reaction Score
If you take into account interceptions McEntee's yards per attempt is slightly higher at 5.9 vs 5.7. Rushing avg per carry is -2.7 Mac vs -2.2 Whitmer, not really seeing any mobility diference. Couldn't find fumbles anywhere, and don't feel like going game by game to find out the totals. I don't think McEntee is a better QB than Whitmer, I just don't see this year's quarterback play as that much better than last year's if at all.

OK.

Reaction Score
UConn has had good QB play? Nonsense! What it has had is better QB play than we've seen in every year since '04 (with the possible exception of the final 8 games in '09). What it has had was the glimmer of potential as this season wore on. But the bar has been set pathetically low at UConn. We're happy when one of our would-be QBs can throw a spiral and occasionally hit a receiver in stride.

As for everything else PP is guilty as charged. A defense that is solid but can't get turnovers. A running game that now sucks completely. An offense that is the laughting stock of college football - or at least in contention.

Fire PP. Fire him as soon as this season is done. Don't even allow him to say good-bye to the team. If its good enough for Randy its good enough for P.

Reaction Score
This. I said at the beginning of the season that if Whitmer was an upgrade at QB, we could compete for the Big East Championship. Nothing I have seen this season makes me think I was not being reasonable in my expectations. What I didn't count on were (i) the D not being able to generate anywhere near an average number of takeaways, much less what you would expect from an aggressive D, and (ii) the coaching staff so completely f###ing up our running game that we've had a complete identity change from last season to this one.

There is zero chance he will be fired when we win tomorrow (I'm not even considering what if we lose), but given the two years of performance we've seen and his age I would be shocked if he got an extension.
I think that about sums it up. Last week I would have said he's definitely back even if we lose, and oddly I don't think we will biz, but now I'm not so sure. I could see Manuel feeling he needs to do something to restore some degree of trust with the fan base and the two things that would do that are fire Pasqualoni and extend Ollie. I doubt they solve his, and I think its questionable whether they solve UConn's problems, but I could see him taking both steps.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm sort of floored that you could post those number and then reach your conclusion. We would be better off with a QB who throws for a yard less per attempt and completes 7% less of his passes? And doesn't move as well in or out of the pocket?

Doesn't that show 7 more INT's?

I think that's a really big deal.

Reaction Score
UConn has had good QB play? Nonsense!

TDH, I'm sure I nor anyone else will ever convince you of this, but I think what you fail to realize is that the running game is critical to a successful passing attach in college football. Sure, there may be exceptions, but just about all college offenses need a running attach to keep defenses honest. The OLs and QBs are just not talented enough (typically) to handle pressure that defenses can bring if they do not have to play the run. Rewatch the Syracuse game (on second thougth - don't), their DEs and LBs lit us up because the DEs didn't have to worry about holding the edge and the LBs did not have to worry about gaps. All they had to do was either make a run at the QB or fall back into coverage.

I think Whitmer is a solid QB. I think given what he had to work with this season his play has been commendable. And if we could run the ball this year we don't lose to NC State, Temple, USF and probably WMU. Our last two wins are due in large part because we finally figured out a way to open holes for McCombs. To my eye we made a change on the OL that has allowed that to happen. I know fans like you like to wing the ball all over the place, but when you have a defense like UCONN has, all you need to do is control the ball a little on the ground and set up some play action. Do that, and you win a lot of games.

I will say it again. If we run the football with only modest success this year (much like we have the last two games) we go at Cincy with a minimum of 8 wins and possibly 9. These guys ducked up big, but it wasn't with the passing game, it was with the OL and the running game.

Reaction Score
My son thinks that PP has taken over the offense and GDL is sitting in glass house pretending he is still in charge, as it has been a change on the OL as if all of a sudden they suddenly figured out how to
open holes for Lyle.

Reaction Score

You don't see a mobility difference? Have you watched a game or do you think you can find it in ypc?

I think JM took more than his fair share of the blame for last year. But I'm really floored that someone can think we haven't had better QB play. but to each their own.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You don't see a mobility difference? Have you watched a game or do you think you can find it in ypc?

I think JM took more than his fair share of the blame for last year. But I'm really floored that someone can think we haven't had better QB play. but to each their own.

What about the turnovers BL?

Reaction Score
What about the turnovers BL?

CW obviously threw more picks. Someone if they want to do the research can tell me what total TOs were for each.

I still don't think their performances are close. I think Whitmer's rating is higher and he did it without the ground game that JM had last year. If you feel differently, you are entitled to your opinion. But I don't see a huge concensus for starting JM over a healthy CW, and that's even after last week which was, by far, Whitmer's poorest game of the year.

Going forward, Chandler has to throw less picks. I think he's done a better job with that as this season has progressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom