If UConn is first choice, do we carry 3/4s majority? Who votes? | The Boneyard

If UConn is first choice, do we carry 3/4s majority? Who votes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If the vote were to occur today, who are voting members?

Is Cuse?
Is Pitt?
Is ND?
Is UMD?

This dictates how many no votes we can absorb and still get through.

The worst case scenario is only 11 voting members that would be the current 12 (excluding pitt and cuse) and excluding lame duck UMD.

at 11 voting members we can only absorb 2 No's. All other scenarios we can absorb 3.

Anybody know for sure?

Reaction Score
I'm sure UMD doesn't vote. As for the others it would be logical to give them a vote but I don't know this for sure.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
UMD doesn't vote, at least if you assume the Big East model is the same as the ACC's. Cuse, Pitt, etc didn't vote for the dreck we acquired in Marinatto's Grand Food Tour 2012.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm bringing this around again. Everyone keeps talking about us vs. ville but if there are 11 voting schools which seems to be understanding, 3/4ths majority is 9 yes'. I have no reason to believe BC moves off their NO vote. That means Clemson and FSU alone can block our move. I can easily see a stalemate even w 8 schools firmly on board.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm bringing this around again. Everyone keeps talking about us vs. ville but if there are 11 voting schools which seems to be understanding, 3/4ths majority is 9 yes'. I have no reason to believe BC moves off their NO vote. That means Clemson and FSU alone can block our move. I can easily see a stalemate even w 8 schools firmly on board.

Blaudshun already reported that BC was a definite yes for UConn this time around.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
“@TuxedoYoda: ACC presidents need a 3/4 majority vote to add a team. I was told that, as of yesterday evening, no candidate yet had a 3/4 majority.”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Problem schools for UConn are Florida State, Georgia Tech and Miami.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Problem schools for UConn are Florida State, Georgia Tech and Miami.

Why does Shalala hate us? I never understood that. Did we crush the hopes of a budding Miami hoops program once to often or something?

Reaction Score
Fishy...Armonk stated Cuse and Pitt do not have voting rights yet. So only 11 teams have votes.

You'll need 9 of 11 votes.

Reaction Score
Another good question would be who are the problem school for L'ville and how dug in is each school for either Uconn & L'ville.

I would think schools firmly against L'ville would be Duke, UVa, Wake, UNC (BC should be since they tout academics all the time).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Assuming they dig in to get their choice and hold leverage, is there equall opposition to the next choice Louisville or otherwise?

Reaction Score
An initial stalemate might not be bad...UL and UConn could be floated as a package.

Reaction Score
I don't think Clemson is opposed. For whatever reason they get that Louisville isn't that much of a get. Florida State and Georgia Tech fancy themselves big time football powers being held back by the weak ACC...Florida State at least can remember when they were relevant. Georgia Tech is sort of laughable. I don't quite understand Miami myslef though I have been told they are opposed to the continued northern expansion. Makes little sense, but that's what I hear.

Reaction Score
I am thinking GT would be on our side. They are very strong academically and Herbst has loads of contacts in the Georgia university system.

I'm guessing the way the meetings work is they take a straw poll. UConn would probably get 6-7 votes and UL 2-3. Then the majority convinces the minority to come around to their side. UConn is almost identical to Maryland, so I think that would be the key argument - that they are simply replacing like for like.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't get GT. Shalala vowed we would never play at the U again in football because Blumenthal was mean to her.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech returned 2,000 tickets to UGA for their game last weekend. Any notion that GTech thinks of themselves as a big time football school is laughable.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm afraid they don't want to replace like for like. They want to replace Maryland for bigger and better. Some, FSU seemingly included, believe that to be Louisville. Most are resigned bigger and better aren't out there as ND ain't joining.

Reaction Score
I am thinking GT would be on our side. They are very strong academically and Herbst has loads of contacts in the Georgia university system.

I'm guessing the way the meetings work is they take a straw poll. UConn would probably get 6-7 votes and UL 2-3. Then the majority convinces the minority to come around to their side. UConn is almost identical to Maryland, so I think that would be the key argument - that they are simply replacing like for like.

All Swofford has to do to convince the minority is say either you change sides or we'll just wait for Pitt and SU to join and vote again then.

Reaction Score
How bad does FSU sound making a case against UConn? "We need Louisville, they have better football!" They sound as bad as BC last year.

On the other hand, UConn may have to wait a year to break this stalemate, for Pitt and Cuse to join the conference.

Reaction Score
Typically, in academia, when there is a stalemate, everyone goes along with the majority. It's how these committees work. They know they will not convince to enough others to add Louisville, at which point the question becomes whether they need 14. If everyone agrees on that, then the holdouts should approve UConn.

The only reason this might play out a different way is because Florida State may be threatening to leave, at which point collegiality goes out the window--"So long suckers!!"

The schools favoring UConn would have to consider whether they'd want to be affiliated with Louisville in the event/likelihood that Florida St. leaves the conference. On the other hand, they too may resign themselves to the idea that they'd have to invite Louisville regardless if Florida St. leaves the conference.

This is a Gordian knot. Florida St. realizes they have leverage (for now) so collegiality be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom