If there was ever any question about Crystal's growth. . . | The Boneyard

If there was ever any question about Crystal's growth. . .

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
between last year and now I think last night's game answered it. I thought she played an excellent game. Her decisions seemed spot on and she had a great sense of the flow of the game. She is a great ball handler and will establish herself as one of the best UConn point guards.

Reaction Score
between last year and now I think last night's game answered it. I thought she played an excellent game. Her decisions seemed spot on and she had a great sense of the flow of the game. She is a great ball handler and will establish herself as one of the best UConn point guards.
You my friend know basketball!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What stands out to me is that any other player shooting the way she did against SC would be vilified but since she does so many other things to keep us in the flow, we see it as a small blip and not a referendum on her "readiness" for big games. :)

Reaction Score
Offensively she struggled last night, but man did she make up for on defense. She didn't allow Harris any free space and it really disrupted SC ability to run their offense. She has really came into her own and has taken over ownership of the offense. As Geno said, Crystal's growth as a point guard has allowed Kia to concentrate on other things, which has really helped the whole team. It showed last night in allowing Kia to concentrate on her scoring and defense and my did Kia score and play defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The charge she took on A'ja Wilson was a highlight for me. Can I change my bad ass vote?

That was a funny play because Aja basically had made up her mind to go near half court so Crystal had a boatload of time to get set.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That was a funny play because Aja basically had made up her mind to go near half court so Crystal had a boatload of time to get set.
She looked like she had her heart set on drawing a foul. It was funny seeing her drop her shoulder in anticipation of contact. That was a lot of ground to cover to get down to Crystal Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
She was everywhere last night. Never waivered, showed great maturity and confidence!
Good lord when she took that charge from Aja Wilson Head bang I couldn't believe she got up after that!!!
upload_2018-2-2_13-43-24.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am also surprised how often after a shot (not always hers) , she runs head first towards the basket looking for offensive rebounds. :D

Reaction Score
I am really amazed at her growth on the defensive end. She was a liability on defense last year! I remember when Geno couldnt keep her on the court in the Texas game because she was burned so badly on defense. Now she is a tough and smart defender. Man, she has worked hard and dedicated herself! :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the things Geno preaches is that whether or not you make shots does not determine whether or not you play well. Crystal's game last night was a perfect example. She was 1-10 but played exceptionally well. She ran the Huskies offense masterfully, and would have had more assists had it not been for some missed bunnies by her teammates. Her defense was tenacious. Certainly the charge she took against an oncoming truck was the highlight, but what really impressed me was how she was basically glued to Ty Harris. I had not seen that type of defense since Mo. Crystal was so intense on defense, that she wouldn't even allow Harris to get to the middle of the floor to initiate SC's offense. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
One of the things Geno preaches is that whether or not you make shots does not determine whether or not you play well. Crystal's game last night was a perfect example. She was 1-10 but played exceptionally well. She ran the Huskies offense masterfully, and would have had more assists had it not been for some missed bunnies by her teammates. Her defense was tenacious. Certainly the charge she took against an oncoming truck was the highlight, but what really impressed me was how she was basically glued to Ty Harris.

Quintessential UConn offense and defense: initiated and directed the offense, three assists with zero turnovers; stuck like an irritating burr to whichever USC guard she was haunting, with zero fouls. She also upped the penetration part of her game, which I have been hoping for, just as her predecessor did as she grew into her role. So the shots weren't falling, not a big deal. The rest was golden.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
She looked like she had her heart set on drawing a foul. It was funny seeing her drop her shoulder in anticipation of contact. That was a lot of ground to cover to get down to Crystal Dangerfield.

Exactly. And based on the calls last night involving A'ja; if A'ja hadn't lowered her shoulder the call might have gone against Crystal.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Lowered her shoulder? I think Wilson hit Crystal directly in the torso with her kneecap....

Lol. Based on their size difference that's what should have happened. But take a look at this:

Edit:
Darn, did that wrong. I thought I was pasting just the bit with the contact, not the entire video. Guess I need to reread Nan's helpful hints. Anyhow it clearly shows the lowered shoulder into Crystal torso, at 25:24

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol. Based on their size difference that's what should have happened. But take a look at this:

Edit:
Darn, did that wrong. I thought I was pasting just the bit with the contact, not the entire video. Guess I need to reread Nan's helpful hints. Anyhow it clearly shows the lowered shoulder into Crystal torso, at 25:24
Nah you did it right. Here is backed up another few seconds to include the play in real time.

Reaction Score
One of the things Geno preaches is that whether or not you make shots does not determine whether or not you play well. Crystal's game last night was a perfect example. She was 1-10 but played exceptionally well. She ran the Huskies offense masterfully, and would have had more assists had it not been for some missed bunnies by her teammates. Her defense was tenacious. Certainly the charge she took against an oncoming truck was the highlight, but what really impressed me was how she was basically glued to Ty Harris. I had not seen that type of defense since Mo. Crystal was so intense on defense, that she wouldn't even allow Harris to get to the middle of the floor to initiate SC's offense. It was a beautiful thing to watch.
Well stated!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom