If there is no season | The Boneyard

If there is no season

Reaction Score
I want to start off by apologizing if this has been covered. Lets just say that there is no season this year. Would players retain their eligibility? In other words, would Paige still have 4 more years? If that happened and her friend happened to join her, would they get to play together for 4 years instead of 3 (and would this be worth missing a year)? Also, what would happen to scholarships? Would the NCAA allow extras for players who stay longer and those who have previously committed? This is all conjecture at this time but, who knows, it might become a reality in the near future.

Reaction Score
Would you want to use your full eligibility at that point? You only have so many years to have a pro career, so would you stay in college until you're 23-24 just to use up all of your eligibility? Probably not.

Reaction Score
My question is about scholarships. What does a spring sport coach do if he has 4 players coming in and taking the scholarships of players presumed to be going (the seniors). In BB I'm sure there are teams (not UConn) loaded with seniors and with large freshman classes coming in.
The NCAA will have to provide relief by extending roster sizes and that won't help incoming freshmen expecting some minutes on an 19 player roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My question is about scholarships. What does a spring sport coach do if he has 4 players coming in and taking the scholarships of players presumed to be going (the seniors). In BB I'm sure there are teams (not UConn) loaded with seniors and with large freshman classes coming in.
The NCAA will have to provide relief by extending roster sizes and that won't help incoming freshmen expecting some minutes on an 19 player roster.
The NCAA has already done this. Theoritically spring team rosters in 2021 will be larger than normal.

"Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I want to start off by apologizing if this has been covered. Lets just say that there is no season this year. Would players retain their eligibility? In other words, would Paige still have 4 more years? If that happened and her friend happened to join her, would they get to play together for 4 years instead of 3 (and would this be worth missing a year)? Also, what would happen to scholarships? Would the NCAA allow extras for players who stay longer and those who have previously committed? This is all conjecture at this time but, who knows, it might become a reality in the near future.
Yes.
Yes.
IMO no.
Scholarship will remain unchanged.
The NCAA will likely expand the roster size as they did for spring sports in 2021- see post directly above.

Reaction Score
The decision has already been made for fall sports athletes at schools that have already cancelled fall sports . The athletes will not loose any eligibility. So you could assume that the same will apply for winter/spring athletes.

Reaction Score
Because Bueckers would retain 4 years of eligibility in this case, yes they could play 4 years together.

Reaction Score
With a full-scale vaccine looking more and more likely by end of 2020, I think we'll see parallel college basketball & football in the spring. Just my guess.

Reaction Score
Looking at Lacrosse the senior class of 2020 was allowed to play another year. Some choose to return after graduation, some did not. With current financial picture I find it hard to believe a returning senior (class of 2021) would not count against the total allowed number. So my question is can the college Add any returning senior to the 15. I have not seen any info on scholarship count. Another thought since the player wants to return for a fifth year wouldn’t they be grad transfer eligible?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With a full-scale vaccine looking more and more likely by end of 2020, I think we'll see parallel college basketball & football in the spring. Just my guess.
And I have some nice oceanfront properties in AZ for sale. :rolleyes: :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Also means Paige could go Pro in 2 years because of age

I think this is a more likely scenario than Paige staying 5 years at UCONN. Top talent frequently leaves early to go pro, and Paige has extra incentive with a massive social media following she'll be able to monetize. More at stake for her than most early entrants. Staying a 4th/5th year would cost her a lost of money she'd otherwise earn compared to leaving early.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The NCAA has already done this. Theoritically spring team rosters in 2021 will be larger than normal.

"Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay.

The difference between football and basketball rosters (limited number all on full scholarship, excluding walk-ons who get no financial aid) and the other sports (number not limited, # of scholarship dollars limited, can offer partial scholarships (and other players can be on non-athletic scholarships)). This may come into play.

At Arizona we saw many of our underclass-women abandon the University / Softball team for other schools once the really, really high quality seniors all announced their return. This is a huge problem as well, at least for the future.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The difference between football and basketball rosters (limited number all on full scholarship, excluding walk-ons who get no financial aid) and the other sports (number not limited, # of scholarship dollars limited, can offer partial scholarships (and other players can be on non-athletic scholarships)). This may come into play.

At Arizona we saw many of our underclass-women abandon the University / Softball team for other schools once the really, really high quality seniors all announced their return. This is a huge problem as well, at least for the future.
This ruling did not cover football and basketball only spring sports specifically these:
I'm not sure I follow. Do the normal transfers rules not apply here? I had assumed that the intent of this ruling was you can expand your roster and financial aid to cover your own players should they decide to return. If a player decided to transfer the new team shouldn't be able to accommodate them with expanded financial aid or scholarship. BTW I've been to the Arizona campus and seen quite a few National Championship banners for Women's golf and a ton for Softball. I bought a Nick Fowles (Super Bowl Champion and Philadelphia Eagle forever) Arizona jersey from the bookstore when I was there.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This ruling did not cover football and basketball only spring sports specifically these:
I'm not sure I follow. Do the normal transfers rules not apply here? I had assumed that the intent of this ruling was you can expand your roster and financial aid to cover your own players should they decide to return. If a player decided to transfer the new team shouldn't be able to accommodate them with expanded financial aid or scholarship. BTW I've been to the Arizona campus and seen quite a few National Championship banners for Women's golf and a ton for Softball. I bought a Nick Fowles (Super Bowl Champion and Philadelphia Eagle forever) Arizona jersey from the bookstore when I was there.
I was referencing the difference in scholarship if WBB ends up being handled similarly.

These are normal transfer rules - the players opted to transfer because they saw their playing time going away. In softball, there is usually no sit-out, although there can be if the school objects. As someone else mentioned, where do the minutes (innings in Softball) come from when you have all conference and even all Americans coming back that you thought were leaving. I think Arizona has 6 coming back and at least 5 or 6 underclass-women transferred - some because they figured they wouldn't get to play at all and others because they expected to be moving into a major role and its not happening.

I'm not 100% sure on the NCAA's changes - I know they are offering financial assistance aid for the players receiving extra eligibility and they are allowing some changes in scholarships, but in these sports they are not "head count" and the roster is not limited as it is in basketball (i.e. players get partial scholarships, it is the money that is capped).

Arizona has a rich sports history, with baseball and women's golf both having multiple Natty's. Softball has 8, most in the '90's last in 2007 (I think), followed by a bunch of years not making the World Series. We were always good, just not great, for the run of years where we missed out, but we are "back". Our coach, Mike Candrea, is contending with the Michigan coach for most career wins.

Yes, we are Nick Fowles fans as well. For Giants fans that "hate" the Eagles, we were rooting them on in their Super Bowl run.

Reaction Score
I think this is a more likely scenario than Paige staying 5 years at UCONN. Top talent frequently leaves early to go pro, and Paige has extra incentive with a massive social media following she'll be able to monetize. More at stake for her than most early entrants. Staying a 4th/5th year would cost her a lost of money she'd otherwise earn compared to leaving early.

I think that kind of decision may be effected by the success/failure of the team...........if PB leads UConn to several national championships she may feel her mission has been fulfilled while if they come close but are winless she might have an incentive to stay until that is accomplished......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Looking at Lacrosse the senior class of 2020 was allowed to play another year. Some choose to return after graduation, some did not. With current financial picture I find it hard to believe a returning senior (class of 2021) would not count against the total allowed number. So my question is can the college Add any returning senior to the 15. I have not seen any info on scholarship count. Another thought since the player wants to return for a fifth year wouldn’t they be grad transfer eligible?
From March of 2020 and NCAA official website:
"Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay."

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think that kind of decision may be effected by the success/failure of the team...........if PB leads UConn to several national championships she may feel her mission has been fulfilled while if they come close but are winless she might have an incentive to stay until that is accomplished......

I agree that would definitely factor into it. I think this was a primary reason why Ionescu returned and why Deshields initially wanted to return

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom