If there is no more Big East Tournament | The Boneyard

If there is no more Big East Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...due to the league breaking up, I had an idea for an early season tournament...

Call it the Big East Classic. Bring a few old Big East teams (Pitt, Syracuse, potentially UConn, etc) to the Garden in November or December to play a two day doubleheader vs. other traditional teams.

So say the Saturday after Thanksgiving, (just making up a day), you could have UConn/St Johns at 7 and Syracuse/Georgetown at 9. Then the next day maybe Villanova/Pitt followed by Seton Hall/Rutgers.

I think it would be a good way to recreate the Big East tournament in terms of getting a bunch of fans into the city to watch their teams, even if it isn't an actual tournament.

Also you can arrange the games so no one is playing teams in their same conference, but at the same time there are enough teams out there that you won't have to play the same team each year, and there's potentially enough teams that sometimes schools can take the year off. I just think it'd be cool to have a mini BET atmosphere each year since that's one of the biggest things we'd lose with a conference switch.

Reaction Score
You may see it. But games in November are a poor substitute for games in March in terms of having an "event."

Reaction Score
...due to the league breaking up, I had an idea for an early season tournament...

Call it the Big East Classic. Bring a few old Big East teams (Pitt, Syracuse, potentially UConn, etc) to the Garden in November or December to play a two day doubleheader vs. other traditional teams.

So say the Saturday after Thanksgiving, (just making up a day), you could have UConn/St Johns at 7 and Syracuse/Georgetown at 9. Then the next day maybe Villanova/Pitt followed by Seton Hall/Rutgers.

I think it would be a good way to recreate the Big East tournament in terms of getting a bunch of fans into the city to watch their teams, even if it isn't an actual tournament.

Also you can arrange the games so no one is playing teams in their same conference, but at the same time there are enough teams out there that you won't have to play the same team each year, and there's potentially enough teams that sometimes schools can take the year off. I just think it'd be cool to have a mini BET atmosphere each year since that's one of the biggest things we'd lose with a conference switch.

I like the idea but add teams like Gtown, and St.Johns and possibly Nova to the mix to get the old school rivalries

Reaction Score
You may see it. But games in November are a poor substitute for games in March in terms of having an "event."

I think it's better than no substitute. I don't see how broken-up Big East teams can play current ones in March, so this could be a fun and pragmatic option even if the Big East catholic schools keep the current tournament going too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom