If the Big East had any guts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If the Big East had any guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me make sure I have your position clear.

Do you really think that ESPN is conspiring with the ACC behind the scenes to raid the Big East, specifically telling them which teams to go after, in order to fork over even more money/years for a partner they already have, while opening themselves up to a gigantic antitrust/collusion lawsuit that could cost them 10 figures? And your proof of this is a quote from Gene DeFillipo, someone you have repeatedly called a liar and a shady character?

Really? That sounds logical to you? You really think that's what happened? Be honest, do you really think that's what happened at all? Really?

How about the idea that Gene was using UConn as a pawn to get some support from a BC community that's been trying to run him out of town for a year and a half? Maybe the Big East overreacts (by doing something stupid like you suggested) and ticks off ESPN, driving down the value of their own contract negotiations?

Either of those far more logical ideas ever run through that brain of yours, or were you already on the sixth draft of your insane missive?

What can UConn/the Big East do? They can go through diplomatic channels and ask questions- as partners of the last 30 years, with another negotiation coming up, with ESPN's participation serving to only enhance the bidding price for all parties involved. That's how you get answers. By talking to people, quietly, behind the scenes. Not by lobbing hand grenades at them because of what some unreliable boob in Boston told another reporter. Enough airing this crap in public- nobody likes it, it leads to stupid questions being asked of coaches and players who don't know anything about it and could care less. It's unbecoming. Act like adults- the sad thing is that would be setting a great example at this point.

You also have some nerve talking to me about mixed loyalties. I wish I had that kind of influence or power. Far, far from it. Unless UConn joins the National League, my current line of work doesn't even involve them. At all. Nice try.

I'm using Occam's Razor. You're using a tinfoil hat and searching for the soundstage where they filmed the moon landing. That's my agenda- sticking to what we know, and what makes logical sense, without polluting it with another layer of conspiracy theories by a Husky-themed Jesse Ventura.

I am just going off what he said and what ESPN has done. You are the one creating an elaborate explanation for what is happening right in front of your face. Sometimes things simply are as they seem.

I wish we lived in your world where if you ask nice and say "pretty please" you get what you want, and we all had a personal unicorn too. It is an incredibly naive view of business and the world. ESPN has already gutted the Big East, in case you didn't notice. The conference already tried asking nicely, and when it didn't accept ESPN's lowball offer, ESPN tried to take the league out. If ESPN wanted to play nice with the Big East, it could have simply told the ACC that ESPN had a contract with the Big East and as a result wanted no part of a raid.

There are billions of dollars in play and you would expect people to play rough as a result. If UConn and the Big East are not prepared to play rough too, they will be destroyed. Pretty please doesn't cut it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
ESPN is like Gordon Gecko. They listen to proposals and back the ones they like.

They have what they want: enough primo teams to win almost every time slot in College Football. Fox can throw one Big12 game out there and a one BiG game a week tops and at best they are competitive with ESPN for 2 time slots a week.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If we're looking for a conspiracy, where looking in the wrong place, IMO.

Swofford and the ACC geniuses determine that they've signed a below market deal. They discuss this with ESPN and are told that by adding teams, they can renegotiate. ESPN, of course would be asked if there would be teams that would or would not be preferred.

IIRC, the ACC has said that they had about 10 teams that they considered. They run these teams by ESPN who replies with market-based preferences. Syracuse, Pitt, RU and UConn all pass this muster with SU, Pitt and UConn being amongst the top 3. UConn gets hurt by BC and the ACC sends out feelers to SU and Pitt.

Pitt, when confronted with the dilemma of having to approve the new ESPN deal and facing the prospect of bailing on the BE after it approved the deal, leads the charge to quash it. How would Pitt look if it approved the deal, explained to it's fan base how good the deal is and then left the BE for a lesser deal with the ACC?

I think this is where the conspiracy lies and the majority of the machinations occurred. Pitt will say they killed the deal on it's own merit and then jumped but I question the likelihhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin
Top Bottom