If the ACC doesn't offer UConn, what do you do? | The Boneyard

If the ACC doesn't offer UConn, what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First, you have to continue to upgrade the athletic program and academics. Then you announce a major fundraising effort to improve not only athletics, but academics and make this the top priority. Recognizing that BE basketball will be weakened considerably, you schedule aggressively OOC. Next, make decisions on Ollie and PP. I would give Ollie a contract and look for a young OC to take over for GDL. If PP doesn't go along, fire him and bring in a new HC. UConn will now be competing for regional recruits against Rutgers, Maryland, and PSU (Big 10) and BC and Syracuse (ACC) and UConn will not compete with our current coaching staff if we have to sell only the BE. Herbst needs to evaluate Manuel. Is he the right guy? UConn needs a major fundraiser/booster in the AD role and I have seen none of that from Manuel. UConn needs to understand that we now have a sense of urgency and waiting is not an option.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's over man. The time for all of this was the past year.

It's done. Our #1 football rival Rutgers is going to making over $25M+ (conservatively) more than us every single year.

You just can't overcome that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We absolutely will not be competitive for football recruits.

We are in a box - we have the ACC in New England and New York and we have the Big Ten on the southern doorstep. We're peddling Tulane against Michigan and Florida State.

Ball game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
But we'll get to play Boise State at The Rent once every 16 years!

Reaction Score

It's done. Our #1 football rival Rutgers is going to making over $25M+ (conservatively) more than us every single year.

So, schools like Boise St., Utah, TCU, Louisville... have managed to do well with less TV revenues. UConn has won basketball championships and built a semi successful football program with limited TV revenues. You have to work smarter and harder! BTW, where do you think all of that Big 10 money is going to at Rutgers and Maryland? These schools had huge athletic deficits and Rutgers was using student fees to fund the athletic program as their programs weren't carrying their weight.

Reaction Score
Go back to the Virgin Islands, chill out.

I can't believe we were trying to outfax Cincy to the ACC offices, or andy Katz, or whoever.

What has become of us? Shouldn't our leaders have already given an incredible sell of what we have to offer? In the past week they should have been calling any ACC president that would listen. You sure as hell know Jurich and Pitino were out front and center and probably behind the scenes doing everything they can to push the lie that their football team is top 10 even after we bludgeoned their QB and beat them in their own stadium.

My God, Herbst and Manuel. WTF.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We absolutely will not be competitive for football recruits.

We are in a box - we have the ACC in New England and New York and we have the Big Ten on the southern doorstep. We're peddling Tulane against Michigan and Florida State.

Ball game.

The good news is there isn't much further for UConn to fall in the recruiting rankings anyway.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
First, you have to continue to upgrade the athletic program and academics. Then you announce a major fundraising effort to improve not only athletics, but academics and make this the top priority. Recognizing that BE basketball will be weakened considerably, you schedule aggressively OOC. Next, make decisions on Ollie and PP. I would give Ollie a contract and look for a young OC to take over for GDL. If PP doesn't go along, fire him and bring in a new HC. UConn will now be competing for regional recruits against Rutgers, Maryland, and PSU (Big 10) and BC and Syracuse (ACC) and UConn will not compete with our current coaching staff if we have to sell only the BE. Herbst needs to evaluate Manuel. Is he the right guy? UConn needs a major fundraiser/booster in the AD role and I have seen none of that from Manuel. UConn needs to understand that we now have a sense of urgency and waiting is not an option.

It's probably a bit too soon to be thinking so pragmatically but I agree with every single recommendation you made. Everyone complains about our current lot but the fact remains that we always needed to win at some point to make this all worthwhile. Winning in a massively diluted Big East wont feel as good as being more competitive in the B1G or ACC but we still need to try and win.

As much as the Big East is now Conference USA with slightly better B-ball, we still need to win it. Step up administration.

Reaction Score

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where does the $$$ come from?

You need an annual fundraising subsidy of at least $10 million to keep this going.

Reaction Score
We can still be very competitive in hoops. In football we are toast. The Rent is going to have 10K fans in it eventually and just a good place to tailgate and consider going inside to see the game. Fair or not, this is Herbst and Manuel's legacy.

Reaction Score
We can still be very competitive in hoops. In football we are toast. The Rent is going to have 10K fans in it eventually and just a good place to tailgate and consider going inside to see the game. Fair or not, this is Herbst and Manuel's legacy.

We have to sober eyed about football. This is a mid-major program, it needs to take the same steps other mid-majors took when they pulled themselves up from the depths. This means spending money on top quality coaches or spending money to keep the best in place.

We need to be realistic as well, the success rate, isn't very high. Just making more Pasqualoni hires is just more half measures.

Reaction Score
In Soccer when a team finishes at the bottom of their league they get relegated into a lower league. After a team gets relegated, one of two things happen. Either the fanbase abandons the club because they are frustrated and don't want to watch inferior competition or the fanbase rallies around the club because they realize the club needs their support more than ever and that by supporting their club they will have a better chance of getting promoted in the future.

I'll let WM and SH figureout what needs to be done institutionally, but us as fans, the best thing we can do right now is simply attend games and support the team(s).

Reaction Score
Dont want to give the impression this is a cheap shot,fwiw,Im a CT native from Bridgeport and an ECU alum.ECU travels well and gives both UNC an NC State a run for their money when they play taking both schools leftovers in football.My honest perspective is both football programs at this point are fairly equal with perhaps the Pirates having a better past in their rankings and having beaten Miami when they were ranked number 1.One thing you notice when you move from your native area is that in sports,players that are household names and thought to be nationally known become a who is he in your new locale.UCONN has always come first in my fan loyalty,but the PP hiring really seemed to be a huge step backwards from where I sat.This trial run on KO also seems to be an odd maneuver and has to make an outsider question why it would be handled the way it was.
I should mention as an afterthought that ECU even playing the tobacco road schools was enacted in state legislation,the power brokers in Raleigh never play fair and make sure the playing field is never level.Not getting the invite into the ACC might be a blessing in disguise.I recall in pee wee football the coach for the linebackers would drill into our heads dont commit until you are sure where the balls going,a step in the wrong direction puts you 2 steps away from the play.Im thinking when the dust clears the ACC will a step in the wrong direction and there may be a more viable option.

Reaction Score

The money isn't ring fenced. Especially in a public university that has a huge problem with funding. It isn't like they are going to go out and buy a bunch of helicopters. It hurts but not that much. The prestige is a bigger issue than the money.

Reaction Score
We have to sober eyed about football. This is a mid-major program, it needs to take the same steps other mid-majors took when they pulled themselves up from the depths. This means spending money on top quality coaches or spending money to keep the best in place.

We need to be realistic as well, the success rate, isn't very high. Just making more Pasqualoni hires is just more half measures.

Eh... I thought UConn far exceeded expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom