If she stays healthy Kelsey Plum will break the record | The Boneyard

If she stays healthy Kelsey Plum will break the record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After scoring 39 vs UCLA, Plum needs 423 points in her remaining games to break Jackie Stiles career points mark.

The (other) Huskies have 13 regular season games left, plus the PAC 12 tournament plus the NCAAs. I estimate, a bit conservatively IMO, 5 or 6 postseason games. 5 would translate into losing in the semifinals of the PAC 12 and losing in the Sweet Sixteen.

If all of the above is correct (someone please check my math!) then she has at least 18 games left and would only need to average 23.5 per game. At this point she's averaging 30.7. Many of us thought her scoring would taper off come conference play, but through five games she's averaging 32 per. If 100% healthy, 23.5 a game seems like a layup.

If Udub does well in the postseason and Plum keeps up her scoring barrage, she may end up passing Stiles by well over 100 points. Which, in light of the numbers the other Kelsey has put up in her 2.5 year career, Plum might need to do if she wants to hold the record for more than a year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We'll be on a countdown in another month or so.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Lordy, Plum and Osahor are a blast to watch. Today was only the second game of theirs I've seen, but IMO Plum is hands-down the NCAA player of the year -- Naismith, AP, Lieberman, and every other flavor. When is the last time the person who led the nation in field goal attempts also shot over 50% and averaged over five assists?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lordy, Plum and Osahor are a blast to watch. Today was only the second game of theirs I've seen, but IMO Plum is hands-down the NCAA player of the year -- Naismith, AP, Lieberman, and every other flavor. When is the last time the person who led the nation in field goal attempts also shot over 50% and averaged over five assists?
Osahor leads the nation in rebounds 233(13.7 a game)
I believe she leads the nation in double doubles with 15
and averages 4 assists a game with 73

Osahor also was on the St Marys HS(AZ) team that Ekmark was on that won the National Championship.

Reaction Score
Also has a chance to break Stiles' single season scoring record of 1,062, but would need to average 28.5 from here on out (for 18 games).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As much as I am impressed by KLS and the year she's having, You are correct, Plum is hands down the POY. She was pretty dominant today. In watching the PAC 10 this year, its's between OSU and Washington. Cal was exposed this week, UCLA seems next tier with Stamford. Oregon and Sabrina had a nice rebound game today. All said though, while everyone says PAC 10 is deep, OSU or Washington are still no higher than the 10th best or a #3 Seed in the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Stupid question, but how often does Uconn lose by allowing the primary scorer of the other team score like Plum go crazy. It seems like if you know the other team has one primary scorer, you should be able to setup a defense to stop that person and force other less capable people to beat you. I would bet that if Washington plays Uconn, Plum will have a tough time being an efficient scorer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stupid question, but how often does Uconn lose by allowing the primary scorer of the other team score like Plum go crazy. It seems like if you know the other team has one primary scorer, you should be able to setup a defense to stop that person and force other less capable people to beat you. I would bet that if Washington plays Uconn, Plum will have a tough time being an efficient scorer.
They don't lose very often period, but the primary scorer on the other team does actually score a ton of points against Uconn not infrequently - what Uconn does is shut down the rest of the team. Mitchell for example had right on her season average of 23 against Uconn - but OSU as a team scored about 20 points less than they usually do.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope she breaks the record and get drafted by Seattle in WNBA 2017 draft to be Sue's long term replacement playing along side KML, Stewie, & Jewell.
Don't know if she last until 6th pick in the draft.

Reaction Score
It's almost better to let one person take a lot of shots because no one person is going to beat UConn. Kelsey Mitchell has proven that again and again.

Reaction Score
They don't lose very often period, but the primary scorer on the other team does actually score a ton of points against Uconn not infrequently - what Uconn does is shut down the rest of the team. Mitchell for example had right on her season average of 23 against Uconn - but OSU as a team scored about 20 points less than they usually do.

There is a difference between scoring a lot of points, and scoring them efficiently. Other team must not be playing any sort of special defense against Plum because she is getting her points w/o much trouble. Mitchell (or other team primary scorer) gets a lot of points against Uconn defense, by taking A LOT of shots inefficiently.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I have said this before but I will say it again. UConn doesn't usually try to completely stop you. They want to frustrate you. They want you to keep shooting. They will let you have 30+ if that means you're shooting under 40%. Not many players that have the ability to drop 30 on an elite opponent are confident enough in their teammates to pass the ball even when they know they are off balance or not at the right angle for a decent shot. The UConn defense is meant to make you think. The scorer usually ends up getting their points but it often costs their team the win. The funny part is they probably feel pretty good about themselves too until they look at the tape or the stat sheet.

My favorite example is the 2014 Jimmy V Classic vs Notre Dame. J. Loyd is a fantastic guard but in that game where she dropped 31 she was no where near as efficient as she needed to be. Afterwards Muffett said she was the best player on the floor. That was the game where I thought Kiah Stokes was by far the player of the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a difference between scoring a lot of points, and scoring them efficiently. Other team must not be playing any sort of special defense against Plum because she is getting her points w/o much trouble. Mitchell (or other team primary scorer) gets a lot of points against Uconn defense, by taking A LOT of shots inefficiently.
That is what has been so impressive with Plum - she is and has been an efficient scorer while maintaining such a high scoring average. Most of the other 25+ point scorers through the years have not been that efficient. And I am sure teams are trying to shut her down - the team has been a two trick pony for most of her career with nice support players, but only two real weapons. Last year she scored 1.26 points per shot taken, this year she has raised that to 1.58. Mitchell was at 1.42 last year but is down to 1.33 this year. For reference Napheesa is at 1.58 and Lou is at 1.40 so far this season.

Reaction Score

I dont know...yesterday it looked to me like UCLA was trying to guard her (only saw the first half). She was just better than their defense. Per box score, she shot 50% from the floor and was perfect from the foul line. Seems efficient to me. Plus she plays decent defense. She's the real deal.

Huskies vs. Huskies in the NCAA would be fun to see, but I agree that UConn would have the edge because of Washington's reliance on 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that she's going to break the record with relative ease. Plum has a few things going for her. The ball is always in her hands, she has the green light to shoot and her teammates know about the record and will help her get it.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that she's going to break the record with relative ease. Plum has a few things going for her. The ball is always in her hands, she has the green light to shoot and her teammates know about the record and will help her get it.
Also, based on the number of minutes she is getting (usually 39 or 40), I think her coach is on board.

BTW ... totally agree with those who think Plum is clearly NPOY at this point. Subject to change of course ...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Osahor leads the nation in rebounds 233(13.7 a game)
I believe she leads the nation in double doubles with 15
and averages 4 assists a game with 73

Add to that the flat-footed threes with no arc and that she, at 6-2 and not very graceful-looking, was frequently bringing the ball up to the frontcourt, THAT'S entertainment.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01