If not Hurley, then who ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If not Hurley, then who ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you don't think Hurley is an upgrade, than you don't fully grasp how bad Ollie was in nearly every aspect outside of the classroom the last couple years.

We won the most NC’s in the last 19 years and you think Hurley is a big enough upgrade ?

Or you want a new face? Or are you willing to gamble our program for the next 5 years?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We won the most NC’s in the last 19 years and you think Hurley is a big enough upgrade ?

Or you want a new face? Or are you willing to gamble our program for the next 5 years?

Okay...who do you want?

Reaction Score
AD should not have fired KO till he had a verbal from a heavy hitter.
He shouldn't have fired him until the NCAA finishes their process. Now they will have to continue to pay him his salary until that happens or buy him out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
yeah the top 5 coach or bust perspective complete ignores our recent irrelevance

I don’t care if we were fresh off another title and in the ACC, we still couldn’t lure a top 5 coach. Those guys don’t just change jobs. Roy went home to his alma mater. Who else like that has changed jobs? Ever? Huggins wasn’t top 5, but even he went back home. It just doesn’t happen.

Reaction Score
I don’t care if we were fresh off another title and in the ACC, we still couldn’t lure a top 5 coach. Those guys don’t just change jobs. Roy went home to his alma mater. Who else like that has changed jobs? Ever? Huggins wasn’t top 5, but even he went back home. It just doesn’t happen.
the fact of the matter is that it's going to be really hard to do worse than Ollie. If we can compete I will be happy. There's an odd feeling among the Ollie supporters that we are not good enough to get a good coach but we also need to be competing for final fours every year. It's a lapse in logic to put it nicely

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Huggy is unique. He was fired from Cincy for alcoholism and what not iirc. KaSt was the only reasonable school giving him a chance. Then when he got the opening he took it. That it happened to be 'home' was nice cover.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He shouldn't have fired him until the NCAA finishes their process. Now they will have to continue to pay him his salary until that happens or buy him out.

Then we'd have him another year at least.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Huggy is unique. He was fired from Cincy for alcoholism and what not iirc. KaSt was the only reasonable school giving him a chance. Then when he got the opening he took it. That it happened to be 'home' was nice cover.

I mean WVU is “home” for him

Reaction Score
If we swing and miss on Hurley, it’ll be a huge blow. Thad Matta, Frank Martin, Nate Oats ate probably your next short list of candidates. Still a Hurley or bust mindset

Reaction Score
Okay...who do you want?
We have two types of dopes polluting this board right now.
  1. Those who want to hire the shiniest new coach regardless of resume
  2. Those for whom anyone short of the resurrected corpse of Red Auerbach will be a disappointment, and who will thus believe we should have kept KO.
This guy won't even give a name!

Reaction Score
Would people be interested in Tommy Amaker over Hurley f he was open to make the move from the Ivy's?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Would people be interested in Tommy Amaker over Hurley f he was open to make the move from the Ivy's?

Earlier this year, yes, I would have been. Now, I doubt it.

Did people read the old quote Don Amore tweeted out from D. Hurley. He talked about UConn in such glowing terms. If he’s the guy, I think he’s going to be here a long time.

Reaction Score
Well I heard something last night that makes me wonder if we're looking at Amakar - either as plan A or plan B should Hurley decide to stay at URI. Now keep in mind it was St. Patrick's Day and the spirits were flowing.

Full disclosure I had already ingested several pints and jameson.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
No no no a million times no. He's been to the tournament 5 times out of 21 years, including 1-for-4 at Seton Hall and 0-for-6 at Michigan. He recruits circles around the rest of the Ivy League, but he's now missed the tournament three years running despite a serious talent advantage. He is a proven mediocre coach and would be another nail in this program's coffin.

I would rather take a chance on an unproven, flavor-of-the-month like Oats or Odom than a proven flop like Amaker.

EDIT: If we don't get Hurley I'd want Earl Grant from College of Charleston. Sure, he's a southern guy and he doesn't have a long enough track record, but he rebuilt that program and they play good ball. He's recruited at the ACC level and his current team isn't just the product of one strong recruiting class – they've got contributors at every grade.

I don't think he's ready yet, but if we miss out on Hurley he's pretty much the only possible hire I'd be more excited than worried about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A0D89BA4-3182-4D60-9DD8-7AC23C91D5BA.jpeg We’re may or may not be Lost with Hurley but he would be must-see on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Let’s just put Brad Stevens, billy Donovan, Steve Kerr and mark few in a room and let them fight over who gets the Uconn job.
Who would get the job though, last one standing or the first one to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom