If not for Uconn..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If not for Uconn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the "platoon" is strictly a recruiting tool

And I think this year it will be tougher to beat KY.

Reaction Score
boat,amoeba,newrip,rockskew-skills

nole, kenihop, purv, tsam, jr, omar-not so much

regarding pnow optimism

Reaction Score
I think what'll make them tougher to beat is that they can play different ways. Ulis may have helped last year when our smaller guards were killing the Harrisons. They have all that size, but they can go small now too if they need.

The platooning sometimes feels like it doesn't work as well as it could because the Harrisons don't put a lot of pressure on the ball. Ulis does, but if both platoons did, then they could really wear opposing guards down.

Reaction Score
Hell if UConn after winning 4 Championships somehow became flooded with ten 5 star recruits requiring Ollie to play two different teams of 5, both good, would we be criticizing it?

Cal has done what no other coach has figured out; how to get top recruits at the same position and then how to get them all playing time. That to me is the biggest threat to college basketball and an uphill challenge to all other teams out there. Let's just hope it doesn't work, because if it does then he's on to something big and building a monster program.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It uconn had a platoon system, I would still call it a gimmick. It may work well against lessor competition or less athletic competition, but the last 4 games will create a different set of problems.

When Jim Calhoun says squid will gave to settle on a rotation eventually (as in not a platoon system ), I doubt he would think differently if Ollie were doing such

Reaction Score
UConn would never run the platoon system longterm, always been about finding the right 5 guys and the matchups that can frustrate the other team. I think by the last month of the season kentucky wont really be running platoons but doing more of what we do, using the guys who provide what you need and match up well or make matchup nightmares for the other team

Reaction Score
Hell if UConn after winning 4 Championships somehow became flooded with ten 5 star recruits requiring Ollie to play two different teams of 5, both good, would we be criticizing it?

Cal has done what no other coach has figured out; how to get top recruits at the same position and then how to get them all playing time. That to me is the biggest threat to college basketball and an uphill challenge to all other teams out there. Let's just hope it doesn't work, because if it does then he's on to something big and building a monster program.

First of all, he already has a monster program.

The only reason he's instituting the "platoon" is to keep everyone happy and spread playing time. It will work during the regular season to keep his guys fresh and they will win games on talent alone. But as we have learned time and time again during the NCAA's is about getting hot at the right time. If there's no continuity on offense with the constant moving parts I'm not sure they will run through the competition. .. the favorite doesn't always win the tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom