If Not for Calhoun, I'm Probably Not a Husky | The Boneyard

If Not for Calhoun, I'm Probably Not a Husky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm not the only person on here that more than likely wouldn't have gone to the University of Connecticut if Calhoun didn't put it on the map the way he did. I didn't go there because I was a fan of the basketball and football teams, but I doubt the school would be what it is without what he did for the basketball program.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm not the only person on here that more than likely wouldn't have gone to the University of Connecticut if Calhoun didn't put it on the map the way he did. I didn't go there because I was a fan of the basketball and football teams, but I doubt the school would be what it is without what he did for the basketball program.
Personally, it was the only school I applied to, and it was because of UConn basketball. In 1968. Had a winning draft lottery number a year later and left, but my heart never did.

Reaction Score
I'll admit it - I went you UConn because they had a sick basketball team and recently went D-1 in football.

Told my parents it was because they had a good pre-dentistry program. Kicked the dentistry major after my first Chemistry exam.

Wouldn't change a thing if I had the chance.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
When I was a kid there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to go to UConn when I grew up (mostly because of basketball). Adults and teachers would tell me it was nothing more than a party school and I could do better. By the time I had started applying to colleges that opinion had changed drastically. Coach had a lot to do with that change in perception.

Thanks Coach Calhoun. Today I can proudly say I am an Alumni of the University of Connecticut.

Our school will continue to grow and succeed in both acedemics and athletics. I am sure of that.

Reaction Score
The basketball team and in-state tuition were all the reasons I needed

Reaction Score
Same here. I grew up on UConn basketball. If the program was not at the level that it was during the 90's I don't know where I would have ended up. I wonder if Geno and the women's program would have had the same level of success without Calhoun's breakout programs of the early 90's. I chose UConn strictly because of the basketball and football program. The academic side meant nothing to me, and there is know way I would have made it through 4 years of college without the strong atheltic program. Last night I was thinking about where I would have ended up if Calhoun had never made the Connecticut a powerhouse and got very scared when I thought I might have ended up at BC. Thank you Coach Calhoun for keeping away from the dump.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Geno would have had plenty of success but without the men's program, the women's would have been viewed similar to Old Dominion and later Louisiana Tech. Dominant programs in a sport that gets little attention at a school that doesn't do much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom