If he's making fun of you....you're in! | The Boneyard

If he's making fun of you....you're in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
We are looking at 4 fun years....I hope Stewie laughs as well. LINK

Geno just after Breanna Stewart accepted the MVP of the Paradise Jam Tournament:
“You have to figure how to take the good in someone and overlook the fact that they are a dope. Sometimes God gives you everything; he gives you size, ability to shoot and pass and a large wingspan.
“But he forgets to put the brain matter in there.”

You're in, kid!!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Geno just after Breanna Stewart accepted the MVP of the Paradise Jam Tournament:
“You have to figure how to take the good in someone and overlook the fact that they are a dope. Sometimes God gives you everything; he gives you size, ability to shoot and pass and a large wingspan.

You're in, kid!!

The kids all say that Stewie is the funniest person on the team. Even bringing more laughs to the party than Stef. In her unassuming way, I hope Stewie can stick a hot fork in Geno at least once a day. We haven't had that skill on the team since Dee left.

Reaction Score
i guess some think that's funny, whereas i think it's a really dopey comment. but he can coach.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As its well know that she' s also a wig.

Reaction Score

You're in, kid!!

RadyLady, you get it. Geno would never make fun of someone he didn't like. Also, Breanna gets it and gets Geno.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
i guess some think that's funny, whereas i think it's a really dopey comment. but he can coach.

aw man, chill. :p You have to take a step back and see that the repartee is affectionate, and as OC noted, we have needed a good comic foil for Geno since Dee left, and we just may have found that in Breanna. :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
RadyLady, you get it. Geno would never make fun of someone he didn't like. Also, Breanna gets it and gets Geno.
Or whom he thought was weak and couldn't take it.

Reaction Score
Geno is a dopey guy. I think Megan Culmo has called him a dope on more than one occasion.

Seriously, in Geno's world, publicly teasing a player is a sign of respect. Chris and Ice have it right, Geno only "picks on" those he likes and he knows can take it. It is his way of keeping things light and keeping the players grounded. Geno recruits players that he thinks will fit into his system, and that includes the ability to not take themselves so seriously that they will be overly sensitive to his jabs. There is a reason why his teams have historically had such great chemistry. They have a lot of fun OFF the court together.

Geno's humor isn't for everyone, but by and large his players get it. Whether we fans get it is irrelevant.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Language is contextually driven. No doubt there would be many comments made by a foreign culture that you would find peculiar, if not dopey. There are subcultures within cultures, and the UConn women obviously have their own subculture.

If I recall correctly, Stewart is a very good student and will continue to be at UConn. I doubt Auriemma makes such a comment about a player void of that particular self-esteem. I call myself a dope, and kind of like it when others call me one as well, because I do not lack in that particular self-esteem.

Out of the Seven Dwarves, I'm most fond of Dopey :).

Reaction Score
Out of the Seven Dwarves, I'm most fond of Dopey :).
Out of the Fantastic Four, my favorite is Mister Fantastic...
MrFantasticAd.gif

Reaction Score
Of the Monkees, I always liked Peter best. For those "of an age" that may remember, Peter was the dopey one of the four. Yeah, I too have an affinity for dopes.

Reaction Score
yes, sometimes you do have to take the good in someone and overlook the fact that he is a dope at times.
the boneyard has made an art out of it.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
yes, sometimes you do have to take the good in someone and overlook the fact that he is a dope at times.
the boneyard has made an art out of it.

Ironic. That's the same message Auriemma gave to Stewart, though it was both intended and received with more good-natured ribbing and charity behind it. I suppose the more serious, less playful intent in your delivery does make you less dopey; I would not call the delivery superior, except with intonation.

FWIW. I'm not one of the folks on here who thinks Auriemma walks on water. I am comforted by his often public condemnations of himself, some of them self-effacing, in the same spirit with which he teases others, some even more serious reflections on himself. I'm guessing you tend to overlook his self-critical remarks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Of the Monkees, I always liked Peter best. For those "of an age" that may remember, Peter was the dopey one of the four. Yeah, I too have an affinity for dopes.
And he is a good Storrs boy too boot!

Reaction Score
Ironic. That's the same message Auriemma gave to Stewart, though it was both intended and received with more good-natured ribbing and charity behind it. I suppose the more serious, less playful intent in your delivery does make you less dopey; I would not call the delivery superior, except with intonation.

FWIW. I'm not one of the folks on here who thinks Auriemma walks on water. I am comforted by his often public condemnations of himself, some of them self-effacing, in the same spirit with which he teases others, some even more serious reflections on himself. I'm guessing you tend to overlook his self-critical remarks.

often public condemnations? serious reflections? geno? the spin would make fox news envious.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
often public condemnations? serious reflections? geno? the spin would make fox news envious.

Ah, just what I expected. Auriemma has publicly admitted he's a jerk with referees at times, he regrets losing control, he's too sensitive and he's too insecure. He even has gone into great depth over why he views himself as being insecure, you could only have missed that if you wanted to. I agree with you about Fox News, by the way, as well as with virtually every corporate media and 24-hour news outlet. It takes two to tango, though. You have to have a viewership who only see/hear what they want to. Now I'm willing to guess that even though you don't like Fox News (neither do I), there is some other corporate media outlet you happen to like (none for me, thanks).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

WOW :eek:
Geno can walk ON water? Boy I knew he could go in the water :D but on??? ;) wow...just wow :cool:

:rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I can walk on water, too, but only at depths of about 1-2 cm.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding Breanna and EDD: It will be interesting to see them face off if UConn vs. Delaware is an NCAA matchup, perhaps in the Sweet 16 round. I would think that the experience factor would favor EDD. I doubt that EDD would get up many 3-point shots unless Stewart was screened, but I think EDD would be able to drive past Breanna and pull up for relatively easy 2-point shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if Breanna plays with more urgency, and beats EDD down the floor for some easy scores in transition. I would also expect Breanna to get quite a few more rebounds than EDD. I don't believe I have ever seen EDD pull down a contested rebound in traffic.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Regarding Breanna and EDD: It will be interesting to see them face off if UConn vs. Delaware is an NCAA matchup, perhaps in the Sweet 16 round. I would think that the experience factor would favor EDD. I doubt that EDD would get up many 3-point shots unless Stewart was screened, but I think EDD would be able to drive past Breanna and pull up for relatively easy 2-point shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if Breanna plays with more urgency, and beats EDD down the floor for some easy scores in transition. I would also expect Breanna to get quite a few more rebounds than EDD. I don't believe I have ever seen EDD pull down a contested rebound in traffic.

I think that it would be a typical game for UConn - the D would shut down the Blue Hen's offense, and we would score a lot of points - say - 40 - 50 m0re than they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom