If Diallo doesn't commit to UConn are these the other recruits available? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Diallo doesn't commit to UConn are these the other recruits available?

Reaction Score
Oh man.. if only we had gotten all star player David Beatty who had Uconn as his dream school! Guess that was dumb

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I don't think its that unreasonable to assume that some kids might consider coming to UConn if suddenly contacted and recruited hard as a result of a spot opening up we were saving for a Diallo. I'm not talking top sought after talent, but maybe a diamond in the rough, we could be pretty deep at the guard spots however, but maybe a big??
I don't think we need diamonds in the rough. We need a wing who can come off a screen and knock down a 3-pointer, and a big who can rotate and rebound.

EDIT: And just so it's clear, I think that both Vital & Jackson will shoot the ball much better next season than they have this year (look at Jalen's jump in shooting %). I'm less convinced that guys like Enoch, Durham, Diarra, Polley & Carleton will be our answer in the paint.

Reaction Score
latest

All are currently uncommitted. And we don't even need a big man coach to coach them up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm in favor of having a certain guy from Aiken SC grow a mustache, and enroll as Alan Ray.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Whether or not Diallo commits...I think they need to focus on Mo Bamba. I know it'd be a tough get, but why not put on the full court press? They really need a stud big man. Ive heard he's a bit raw, but he wouldn't be rated #4 overall if he wasn't a beast. I'm with Matrim. I think Jackson and Vital's shooting will be much improved next yr.

Reaction Score
Whether or not Diallo commits...I think they need to focus on Mo Bamba. I know it'd be a tough get, but why not put on the full court press? They really need a stud big man. Ive heard he's a bit raw, but he wouldn't be rated #4 overall if he wasn't a beast. I'm with Matrim. I think Jackson and Vital's shooting will be much improved next yr.
I'd love Bamba, but it's an extreme long shot that he's coming here. Everyone is killing KO and the staff for going all out for Diallo who was considering us, while Bamba isn't even considering us. Bamba has a top 5, or at least his 5 schools he plans on taking officials too, and we're not one of them

pj

Reaction Score
I'd love Bamba, but it's an extreme long shot that he's coming here. Everyone is killing KO and the staff for going all out for Diallo who was considering us, while Bamba isn't even considering us. Bamba has a top 5, or at least his 5 schools he plans on taking officials too, and we're not one of them

He's only picked 4 schools for visits, we're in the second tier group that might have a chance at visit #5 if he takes it. But, you're right, he's an extreme long shot. Might have been less of a long shot if we had Hami, and could say that a top center was the missing piece to going all the way.

Reaction Score
I'd bring in the freshman plus two grad. Players if I was KO just to assure that this disaster doesn't happen again. I'd even recruit walk ons and develop the intramural teams after this mess of a season.

Actually, the fact that a State University can't find 2 or 3 all-league high school basketball players who aren't scholarship basketball players but could give you 4 minutes a game when needed without killing you is hard to understand. Calhoun used to have kids who he could trust to give him a few minutes if needed all the time. How can a team with 7.5 scholarship players WHEN HEALTHY be unable to find emergency minutes?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Actually, the fact that a State University can't find 2 or 3 all-league high school basketball players who aren't scholarship basketball players but could give you 4 minutes a game when needed without killing you is hard to understand. Calhoun used to have kids who he could trust to give him a few minutes if needed all the time. How can a team with 7.5 scholarship players WHEN HEALTHY be unable to find emergency minutes?
Exactly. Those kind of guys probably make practice more competitive also. I'm sure KO has learned from all of this.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think its that unreasonable to assume that some kids might consider coming to UConn if suddenly contacted and recruited hard as a result of a spot opening up we were saving for a Diallo. I'm not talking top sought after talent, but maybe a diamond in the rough, we could be pretty deep at the guard spots however, but maybe a big??
Unfortunately, you nailed it. Sadly this is how our recruiting works under KO.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Eric Ayala, Diallo's now-former teammate at PSA, can reclass to 2017:

I think he'd probably rather go to a school that's going to put the ball in his hands as a PG, tho.

C

Chief00

I think we got the wrong focus and got too cute. Warde wanted to please Susan on the APR metric - so the brilliant thing to do is not use a ship or two and give it to some senior walkon planning to be a doctor or an engineer - there was about a 99,99% chance they would graduate. Our APR (ship players only) would be high and we would get all these favorable articles about caring about walkons. Except it's not a way to win games.

Reaction Score
I think we got the wrong focus and got too cute. Warde wanted to please Susan on the APR metric - so the brilliant thing to do is not use a ship or two and give it to some senior walkon planning to be a doctor or an engineer - there was about a 99,99% chance they would graduate. Our APR (ship players only) would be high and we would get all these favorable articles about caring about walkons. Except it's not a way to win games.

This is pretty rampant speculation.

Seems more likely that we wanted to be flexible and leave schollies open for a possible Hami reclassification or random transfer/postgrad (who we've had a lot of success wooing).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom