If AAC loses 1-2 members, is it worth it to expand again? | The Boneyard

If AAC loses 1-2 members, is it worth it to expand again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Serious question- would it be worth it financially to expand again? wouldn't 10 or 9 all sports members (Sans Navy) be better than adding more and creating a hodgepodge?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As stated above, who cares? If were left out again, it's over.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I've seen the list of supposed candidates. If you've read any of the non-key tweets, you probably have, too. Seems Southern Mississippi (is that their name or is it South Mississippi?) is the top candidate. Others include UMass, Colorado St., LA Tech, and I've even heard Appalachian St., and the most recent rumor, a school without a football team, Wichita St.

All I know is we better get * out before we are conference mates with any of them.

And you thought adding Tulane was bad?

Drew, I got a chuckle from your post. We shouldn't "create a hodgepodge." What, exactly, do you think we have now?

Reaction Score
If we lose Cincy and another prompting ESPN to reopen the media contract I think that we start to seriously evaluate "other options." I don't know what those other options would be, but I cannot fathom this administration being in a conference with Marshall and Louisiana Tech after the smorgasbord of teams already in it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Terrifying that someone with over 1000 posts said this. If they expand we are out, it is game over.

Reaction Score
The conference should fold and let the members fall back to C-USA or go indy for a while. Just stick a fork in it already.
upload_2016-2-24_9-13-1.jpeg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the AAC lost 1-2 members and we are not 1 of them, then it's time to demand our T3 rights back from IMG/SNY. $9.14M/yr is about 900% more than this garbage conference pays. That's the first thing. Second...ahh who cares? We would be so effed it's not worth discussing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I guess to seriously respond... Yes. AAC's best move is to grab all the "best of the rest" and make the best of things. Be that tallest midget and own it.

And if it comes to that, UConn should be gone no matter what.

Reaction Score
We would have to make some serious compromises. Others have done it. By serious, I mean at the level of Boise State, Louisville, Miami, Clemson, FL State, any SEC school, you name the program. They all prove one thing: it works. Truth is, it works. You have to be willing to pay the price.

Reaction Score
We would have to make some serious compromises. Others have done it. By serious, I mean at the level of Boise State, Louisville, Miami, Clemson, FL State, any SEC school, you name the program. They all prove one thing: it works. Truth is, it works. You have to be willing to pay the price.

I know what you mean. South Carolina. Colorado. Georgia Tech. I mean if anyone disagrees, look at Oregon State. The Beavers did it, paid the price, and proved that it works. Or even New Mexico State. The Aggies didn't do it as much as the others, but they paid some of the price and look where they are.

I have no idea what we're talking about.

Reaction Score
Yes we should expand. Take Alabama and Ohio State for football and Duke and Kentucky for hoops. Throw in Rutgers so we can their

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I simply meant from a football standpoint. Now that you can host a CCG with 10 teams is it monetarily worth it to expand again with an ODU/Marshall/whoever.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I simply meant from a football standpoint. Now that you can host a CCG with 10 teams is it monetarily worth it to expand again with an ODU/Marshall/whoever.

No. AAC is already recognized as best of the rest in football. So, congrats to us...? I think?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I could not even comprehend being left at the altar again. It's one thing to be beat on the court or on the field but what has happened to us is completely different. It would be disheartening beyond belief.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Grape or cherry flavored?
National Flag Blue, I've been drinking that Koolaid for 35 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Drew It's truly a fair question. None of us want to be here and we can't sustain living in the AAC. But I don't think adding 2 teams would be beneficial. Keep the CCG with 10 and split the TV money with everyone else. I'm pretty sure that's a solid 20 dollar bill.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I understand the question. But to my ears it sounds like this: "your wife and daughter just died in a car crash that left you unable to walk, what kind of car should you get to replace the one that was lost?".

If you really want an answer, I think MH ver has been tweeting that the American wants to expand west and create two more legitimate East-West divisions. I think that's the right move. If UConn is there I support that and we must insist that each school retain Tier 3 rights as the Big XII has today. I think a new AAC contract plus retained T3 rights could allow us to double or more what we take in now. Might keep us afloat.

Reaction Score
You know what will be the worst part? Hearing Susan give us another pep talk about how we're winning winners who like to win and talk about how the American is a great place for us.

I really like Susan. I appreciate all she's done so far for UConn. But in that moment I will hate her.

To actually answer the question, sure. Add UMass and UNH. They don't add revenue (no one does) but at least we can start going to away games again.

Reaction Score
If we lose Cincy and another prompting ESPN to reopen the media contract I think that we start to seriously evaluate "other options." I don't know what those other options would be, but I cannot fathom this administration being in a conference with Marshall and Louisiana Tech after the smorgasbord of teams already in it.
Isn't the conference contract paying us as close to zero as it gets? Wouldn't any re-negotiation have us paying the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom