Ice-Hockey at Bridgeport CT School in 1851 | The Boneyard

Ice-Hockey at Bridgeport CT School in 1851

Reaction Score
This is a lecture written by Samuel Robert Calthrop in 1858 then a teacher at the "School for Boys" in Bridgeport,Connecticut since 1851.
In this lecture he talks about when growing up in England(1830's and 1840's) he used to play all kind of sports including Shinney, or Hockey, and Skating.He used this as physical development education for his student's at the school in Bridgeport, CT.
Making it perhaps the first school to play Ice-Hockey in the United States in 1851.
Annual meeting of the American Institute of Instruction
Rev. Dr. Samuel Robert Calthrop

Reaction Score
Hockey became the term for shinny in North America in the mid 1800s. First game of ice hockey in the US? That would require more thorough research. But how the game came to North America is definitely in line with the personal history of Calthrop. But at least we know when the term "hockey" came into being.

Otherwise, the hockey we play today is generally considered to have evolved from a Canadian code for shinny, probably from Montreal.

Reaction Score
Hockey became the term for shinny in North America in the mid 1800s. First game of ice hockey in the US? That would require more thorough research. But how the game came to North America is definitely in line with the personal history of Calthrop. But at least we know when the term "hockey" came into being.

Otherwise, the hockey we play today is generally considered to have evolved from a Canadian code for shinny, probably from Montreal.

I can assure you with all my findings that the game of Shinney on Ice was invented by the Native Inuit of Alaska,The Sioux of then Minnesota,and Mi'kmaw people of the Maritimes before Columbus even arrived In 1492.

Also the term "Ice-Hockey" was taken from Iroquois who played a game in 1740 using the word "Hoghee" which meant it hurts on the shins.

The English would later use this word "Hockey" in 1750.

Did you know that the first indoor game was played before 1875 in Montreal?

Thanks Butch.

Reaction Score
I can assure you with all my findings that the game of Shinney on Ice was invented by the Native Inuit of Alaska,The Sioux of then Minnesota,and Mi'kmaw people of the Maritimes before Columbus even arrived In 1492.

Also the term "Ice-Hockey" was taken from Iroquois who played a game in 1740 using the word "Hoghee" which meant it hurts on the shins.

The English would later use this word "Hockey" in 1750.

Did you know that the first indoor game was played before 1875 in Montreal?

Thanks Butch.
I've never got to research the true origins of hockey. But all of what you say wouldn't surprise me at all. Thank YOU for the knowledge.

Reaction Score
I've never got to research the true origins of hockey. But all of what you say wouldn't surprise me at all. Thank YOU for the knowledge.

No problem thanks for reading my post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom