Ice Brady live in person - finals vs. La Jolla | The Boneyard

Ice Brady live in person - finals vs. La Jolla

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cathedral Catholic lost 54-37. The score was close of half time but La Jolla put on the full court press for much of the 2nd half and Cathrdral just had no answer for it.

She was matched up against a slightly taller center. Probably about 6'4" or so. Breya Cunningham 2023. Just a freshman, but she matched up well and battled hard. They were fairly evenly matched. Definitely a player to watch for the future.

Ice played well but not great. Maybe 10 or 12 points, 15 rebounds and 3 or so blocks. Not a lot of assists for anyone as they missed a TON of shots.

I spoke with coach Jackie after the game for just a few moments. Wxpressed sympathy for what was a tough loss for them. But she was very positive about it and is looking forward to State which is coming up next.

She said they look forward to seeing what the seedings are going to be. She was disappointed that the team struggled so much with the full court press. She called it a slowdown press. She said there was no reason they should have had so many turn overs.

I spoke to Ice for just a few moments. She was obviously very disappointed. I watched her after the game, and she was really looking after her teammates. Lots of hugs for them and everything.

I didn't ask her any questions. Just congratulated her on a great season and told her that I was sorry for the tough loss, but that I thought she and her team competed hard.

I also had a chance to meet dad and say hello to grandma again. Grandma said Ice isn't really on social media but she and Breya have had some good battles against each other. Breya will sometimes post pictures of her blocking Ice's shot on Instagram and talk a little bit of smack. Grandma said that ice isn't even aware of it until her teammates tell her about it the next day!

I may think of more in post later as I'm on my phone now, but I just wanted to get some of my initial thoughts down. I will fix any typos later as I am posting this on my cell phone.

It was great seeing @CTtoSanDiego again and sat with him. So fun meeting fellow BY'ers!

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I was planning to go but misread the start time so I missed it. Thanks for the write up. What'd you think about Paopao for La Jolla?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was planning to go but misread the start time so I missed it. Thanks for the write up. What'd you think about Paopao for La Jolla?
She's solid. Tremendous free throw shooter. Her shot was off (3-point) but you can tell she's a really good shooter. Legit 5'9" or so. Solid with the ball. Average to good passer (several were on the mark, but others were overthrown, underthrown, or dumped into players in the post where there was too much traffic - ie. forced passes).

She's 23 per PN and 33 per HG. Keep in mind while I have NOT seen all 100 of the top girls play in person, those rankings seem about right. Doesn't strike me as a player with the skills or overall game to be a super-star at the next level - I know she's going to Oregon and will likely eventually be a starter at some point. She probably had between 15-20 points. She is the best player on her team.

Reaction Score
Ice's official stats were 16 and 13.... La Jolla's full court press in the second half kept Ice from being much of a factor, because so many turnovers prevented Cathedral from even getting across half court, and many of the times they did get across were blown fast break opportunities. Definitely did not let Ice showcase her skills. Like everyone else on the court, her shooting was subpar. She did hit one three pointer from the corner, and had one very nice, step back turnaround jumper from about 10 feet out on the baseline. She is clearly more skilled than La Jolla's similarly sized center (who is only a freshman, though I don't know her age). I believe Ice is still just 15. Fun to sit with @EricLA... did you manage to escape without a parking ticket? :)
My friend and I stayed to watch the men's championship game, which was won by Cathedral, so the night was not a total loss for the school. Close, exciting game, but as with the women's game, shooting was off. I wonder if the gym has tough sight lines or something. It's bigger than their high school gyms, but not tremendously bigger. Maybe just the pressure of championship games?

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Ices team lost at home tonight to Rosary of Fullerton. Final was 55 to 48. This was the State finals for the Southern half of California, division 1.
Rosary moves on to the state championship game next weekend in Sacramento.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was hoping to watch her when the games get televised later this month.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom