Ice brady article | The Boneyard

Ice brady article

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow. in the secret scrimmage, Caroline was 9-11 from 3, and of the 3 freshmen, Geno said Shade played the best. He also said the defense was not good because they were too aggressive and fouled too much. Azzi, Aaliyah, and Caroline "scored a lot"...

Kind of feels like Aubrey is the forgotten senior - I have hardly read anything about her play recently. No real comments from the coaches or even other players (unless I missed something)...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow. in the secret scrimmage, Caroline was 9-11 from 3, and of the 3 freshmen, Geno said Shade played the best. He also said the defense was not good because they were too aggressive and fouled too much. Azzi, Aaliyah, and Caroline "scored a lot"...

Kind of feels like Aubrey is the forgotten senior - I have hardly read anything about her play recently. No real comments from the coaches or even other players (unless I missed something)...
Yea, I had the same question about Aubrey. Unless I am badly mistaken, Aubrey will be starting at forward with Aaliyah, at least at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Caroline has, with the exception of a brief stretch her freshman year, been the great unknown mystery on this team. During that stretch though, she reminded us all of just how good she can be! I think many of us may have forgotten this and are going to be, notwithstanding that brief stretch of outstanding play, shocked at what she is able to do for this team. If she can be fully healthy this season I believe she could be an All American! She’s been one of my favorite players since the day she stepped on campus and I pray that she can finally put the injuries, stress, and fear behind her and really enjoy her season. It’s difficult to even imagine just how good this team could be if everyone stays healthy and can play up to their talent level! I can’t believe we are finally going to see some basketball!:):):)

Reaction Score

I think Geno said she was starting during first night, so I assume she’s playing well.

Reaction Score
Ice has got to play a huge, huge role for us. That can be daunting for a freshman. Hopefully she’s challenged by it and feels good about it.” This is more or less what Geno also said about her last October. I wonder if it means he expects to start Aaliyah and Ice together as soon as possible.

“I think we learned a lot because defensively, we were not very good. It’s crazy because we spent so much time on our defense, but in their zealousness we’ve become a much more aggressive defensive team, and we fouled too much.” This sounds rather different from the sort of remarks Geno made last summer, before the injuries started rolling in. Back then he joked about how they’d have to score 100 points because the defense was so bad.

Geno must be thrilled to have the lights out perimeter shooting he expected last season tied to the agressive defense he didn’t expect to have then. It’s like he will have his cake and eat it too.

And finally: Ashlynn Shade “played the best of all the young guys,” Auriemma said. This is what I expected to hear sooner or later. As much as KK has impressed everyone, Ashlynn is just too driven for her not to make a mark.

I have no idea when Geno will get there, but he seems to be aiming at a deep rotation featuring a deep offense alternating with an aggressive pressing unit. After Caroline’s shooting night, I’m coming around to the idea others have embraced that the starting unit might eventually become Paige Azzi Caroline Ice Aaliyah. Of course, we’ll also see plenty of Nika Aubrey and Ayanna, with a healthy dose of KK Ashlynn and Qadence. I wonder how much of Inês Bettencourt and Amari DeBerry we will also see. I hope we see plenty of both.

Reaction Score
Ice has got to play a huge, huge role for us. That can be daunting for a freshman. Hopefully she’s challenged by it and feels good about it.” This is more or less what Geno also said about her last October. I wonder if it means he expects to start Aaliyah and Ice together as soon as possible.

“I think we learned a lot because defensively, we were not very good. It’s crazy because we spent so much time on our defense, but in their zealousness we’ve become a much more aggressive defensive team, and we fouled too much.” This sounds rather different from the sort of remarks Geno made last summer, before the injuries started rolling in. Back then he joked about how they’d have to score 100 points because the defense was so bad.

Geno must be thrilled to have the lights out perimeter shooting he expected last season tied to the agressive defense he didn’t expect to have then. It’s like he will have his cake and eat it too.

And finally: Ashlynn Shade “played the best of all the young guys,” Auriemma said. This is what I expected to hear sooner or later. As much as KK has impressed everyone, Ashlynn is just too driven for her not to make a mark.

I have no idea when Geno will get there, but he seems to be aiming at a deep rotation featuring a deep offense alternating with an aggressive pressing unit. After Caroline’s shooting night, I’m coming around to the idea others have embraced that the starting unit might eventually become Paige Azzi Caroline Ice Aaliyah. Of course, we’ll also see plenty of Nika Aubrey and Ayanna, with a healthy dose of KK Ashlynn and Qadence. I wonder how much of Inês Bettencourt and Amari DeBerry we will also see. I hope we see plenty of both.
Well, I hope we see a good amount of Inês. The kid is good. The way she came to UConn is a bizarre story that you wouldn't even find in a cheap paperback novel. I hope Inês makes the story even more bizarre in the next 3 years. She could be that starting point guard on quite a few other teams. She would have been a super star if she had gone to that Florida community college, but that would have been a waste.

Reaction Score

Your proposed starting lineup with all of our best outside shooters at their position could be an offensive juggernaut. Ice and Aaliyah at the elbows both big girls for all the screens we run and their ability to hit the perimeter jumper will help keep the lane open. Caroline best option is when she comes off the screens and seals her defensive player down low and does her little hook or under layups. Azzi on the three point line. Aalyiayh for the elbow jumper or the drive by her defender for an easy layup. Paige shooting off screens or doing pick and roll which she is so good at.
This is a 100 point a game machine waiting to happen. We will have many options this year. I am in Mexico on vacation and I hope I can figure out a way to watch the game tomorrow. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

I will bet you a large pizza that, barring injury, Muhl will still be the starter come tournament time.

Reaction Score
Your proposed starting lineup with all of our best outside shooters at their position could be an offensive juggernaut. Ice and Aaliyah at the elbows both big girls for all the screens we run and their ability to hit the perimeter jumper will help keep the lane open. Caroline best option is when she comes off the screens and seals her defensive player down low and does her little hook or under layups. Azzi on the three point line. Aalyiayh for the elbow jumper or the drive by her defender for an easy layup. Paige shooting off screens or doing pick and roll which she is so good at.
This is a 100 point a game machine waiting to happen. We will have many options this year. I am in Mexico on vacation and I hope I can figure out a way to watch the game tomorrow. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!

And who is the scorer off the bench? Gotta have points there too

Reaction Score
I will bet you a large pizza that, barring injury, Muhl will still be the starter come tournament time.
That’s been my expectation for the last few months. And it wouldn’t surprise me to see it either. But when Caroline shot 9 for 11 from 3, this gave me some pause. She can do that off the bench as well as in the starting lineup, of course.

My sense is Geno likes to hit opponents with his best, most proven lineup in the 1st quarter. Paige was an exception to that rule, and it’s telling that Nika eventually found her way into the starting lineup as a freshman too. That spoke volumes about how he thinks about her. After all, her offensive game wasn’t great that year, and he had other options like Evina or Anna. He would say that the team played better with Nika in the lineup, as if it were a team spirit thing not a stats thing.

As a sophomore, Nika was in and out of the starting lineup in the turmoil after Paige’s injury. I suppose Evina’s steadying hand was more needed in the aftermath. But toward the end of the season she was more regularly a starter again. Last year, this was Nika’s team all season long. Geno literally could not sit her down for more than a few minutes.

I’ll be very surprised if Nika doesn’t start in November and December. A lineup with Nika Paige and Azzi in the backcourt will be like a punch in the face for opposing teams. It’s hard not to want that and Geno will probably not be able to resist the draw of it. If she’s starting in April, it will mean that punch in the face is still working well.

And KK and Ashlynn will learn a lot about Geno by watching a Nika-led lineup.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
That’s been my expectation for the last few months. And it wouldn’t surprise me to see it either. But when Caroline shot 9 for 11 from 3, this gave me some pause. She can do that off the bench as well as in the starting lineup, of course.

My sense is Geno likes to hit opponents with his best, most proven lineup in the 1st quarter. Paige was an exception to that rule, and it’s telling that Nika eventually found her way into the starting lineup as a freshman too. That spoke volumes about how he thinks about her. After all, her offensive game wasn’t great that year, and he had other options like Evina or Anna. He would say that the team played better with Nika in the lineup, as if it were a team spirit thing not a stats thing.

As a sophomore, Nika was in and out of the starting lineup in the turmoil after Paige’s injury. I suppose Evina’s steadying hand was more needed in the aftermath. But toward the end of the season she was more regularly a starter again. Last year, this was Nika’s team all season long. Geno literally could not sit her down for more than a few minutes.

I’ll be very surprised if Nika doesn’t start in November and December. A lineup with Nika Paige and Azzi in the backcourt will be like a punch in the face for opposing teams. It’s hard not to want that and Geno will probably not be able to resist the draw of it. If she’s starting in April, it will mean that punch in the face is still working well.

And KK and Ashlynn will learn a lot about Geno by watching a Nika-led lineup.
Not even the doubters who have bet me so far think that Muhl will not start in November and December. That opinion appears to be near unanimous and in line with overwhelming evidence.

Be bold! Be confident! Bet me a large pizza. I would enjoy sitting down and eating one with you.

Reaction Score
Not even the doubters who have bet me so far think that Muhl will not start in November and December. That opinion appears to be near unanimous and in line with overwhelming evidence.

Be bold! Be confident! Bet me a large pizza. I would enjoy sitting down and eating one with you.
It's not that I don't love pizza, or company! I have just been defending Nika for too long to bet against her. When I imagine Geno benching her, I am reminded of the game 2 years ago when she took Tennessee apart in the first few minutes of the 3rd quarter almost singlehandedly (Christyn helped). Whatever brilliant plan Harper had worked out for the second half did not survive the onslaught of Nika. It's the perfect example of Mike Tyson's famous statement, "Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face." Nika IS that punch in the face. And to folks who think Nika is too little to make such a difference, I remind them (and myself) that she is roughly the dimensions of Willie Mays.

Reaction Score
Yea, I had the same question about Aubrey. Unless I am badly mistaken, Aubrey will be starting at forward with Aaliyah, at least at the start of the season.
In my opinion, the only thing holding Aubrey back is her offensive game- specifically, her shooting. She can hit her outside shot but just seems to hesitate even before taking a shot. She does not seem to have the good footwork or little offensive moves around the basket to take good shots. As for defense, she is peerless on the team, Nika included. And Aubrey is dynamite on fast breaks too.

Reaction Score
Caroline 9 for 11? Way to go Caroline!!!
I recently posted after watching a Caroline video, that Caroline was mature and full of confidence with being healthy and posted that Caroline will be the same player she was when she took over the scoring when Paige went down. I posted we will now see the real Caroline play like every one thought she could and was an AA candidate. 9 of 11 might be an omen of her future play. I posted long ago, I watched many of her high school videos and she shot 3's from any spot on the court, especially 4 or 5 feet from the 3-point line. She was unstoppable and became my favorite player on the team. The concussions broke my heart. Now with her being healthy again, I will enjoy seeing her play on the wreaking machine I expect Uconn will. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score

I'll chip in on your bet, but I want a slice. If more people want to chip in, more pizzas may be at stake. :)

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
In Geno's latest interview, he states the four core players are Nika, Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah. After that we shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom