OT: - I would have found this to be "unbearable." | The Boneyard

OT: I would have found this to be "unbearable."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I have been in circumstances with an aggressive (in the sense that it walked into an active campsite, and ignored yelling and pot banging). It gets your attention. How did they get that close to a bear in the first place?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't know how they handle bears in Mexico. In the U.S. it would possibly be relocated, but more likely destroyed. I would guess that bear has been fed before. Always unfortunate when a bear becomes habituated to people. I've had a few up close encounters, maybe 15 ft. away, but not as close as this video.

Reaction Score
Someone who worked at a rehabilitative zoo in Auburndale, Fl, said she would never take in a bear because they are too unpredictable. Have never seen a bear at that zoo.

Reaction Score
living in Ct. anyone who lives in the suburbs (and sometimes in the city) has had some type of encounter with a Black Bear. Living in Burlington we have them going through our yard three or four times a week. Two big males and a female with cubs. I got out of my truck one time and carried a load of tomato stakes on each shoulder while walking to the shed in the back yard. As I turned the corner a three hundred pounder was standing about twenty feet away trying to get to a bird feeder I had hanging on a clothesline. We looked at each other and I backed away. He just got down on his four paws and turned and walked away. I never want to get any closer. When I called the DEP I was told that there was a large bear population in Ct. and we had to learn to get along with them. Maybe I should have invited him for dinner.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
People insist on doing very dumb things in parks, particularly national parks. A couple of weeks ago an incident in Glacier National Park hit the national news. A 30 year old woman runner was running on one of the hiking trails. Jogging and running is discouraged. This is why. She ran around a corner and ran smack dab into a grizzly. That could have been grim, but it was a young, small grizzly and they both were knocked off the trail. The grizzly got up and took off. The jogger was a native Montanan and should have known better.

Reaction Score
Forced me to check. Dirty Gray uni's but does white flag count? :oops:

The "white" reference was to post by @Jim (just before yours) referencing White Bear--> Good Night...similar fashion to the Baylor game...good night Irene.

1595279308585.png

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
People insist on doing very dumb things in parks, particularly national parks. A couple of weeks ago an incident in Glacier National Park hit the national news. A 30 year old woman runner was running on one of the hiking trails. Jogging and running is discouraged. This is why. She ran around a corner and ran smack dab into a grizzly. That could have been grim, but it was a young, small grizzly and they both were knocked off the trail. The grizzly got up and took off. The jogger was a native Montanan and should have known better.

I have also hiked in GNP - an awesome place. There are about a 1000 signs everywhere warning about bears. "Don't hike alone", "Make noises while you hike (cowbells, whistles, etc)", "Don't carry open food" and my all time favorite "Don't run". Since I was hiking alone, when I came upon this sign:
1595279942669.png

it was time to turn around.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Big kitties like to chase things. Seems like it's mostly mountain bikers and joggers that get attacked by mountain lions.

I think there was a recent bad interaction between a woman and a bison in Yellowstone. The proximity of large animals to roadways somehow induces many tourists to think the critters are tame I think.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have also hiked in GNP - an awesome place. There are about a 1000 signs everywhere warning about bears. "Don't hike alone", "Make noises while you hike (cowbells, whistles, etc)", "Don't carry open food" and my all time favorite "Don't run". Since I was hiking alone, when I came upon this sign:
View attachment 56756

There is lot of anti-bear equipment is out there. Bells for noise and pepper spray, etc. They may be more effective against black bear than grizzlies. You can tell which kind of bear is in the area but examining the scat. Black bear scat will have a high berry and seed content, while grizzly bear scat will have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Reaction Score

My wife and I were in Anchorage a number of years ago. Two local people, a woman and her adult son, we’re running on a trail just off the main highway. Unexpectedly, they got between a brown bear and its freshly killed moose carcass. The autopsy report said she was killed when the bear had her head in its mouth and shook her like a terrier shakes a rat. He was killed when the bear stood on his chest and crushed all his internal organs. I went to that park, but a different section, the next day. And was nervous.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There is lot of anti-bear equipment is out there. Bells for noise and pepper spray, etc. They may be more effective against black bear than grizzlies. You can tell which kind of bear is in the area but examining the scat. Black bear scat will have a high berry and seed content, while grizzly bear scat will have little bells in it and smell like pepper.
:)It took me a moment but that cracked me up.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't know how they handle bears in Mexico. In the U.S. it would possibly be relocated, but more likely destroyed. I would guess that bear has been fed before. Always unfortunate when a bear becomes habituated to people. I've had a few up close encounters, maybe 15 ft. away, but not as close as this video.

CT will tag a "nuisance bear" twice. The tags are located on the ears so as to be readily identifiable. First tag, the bear will be relocated. However, the bear will find its way back. Second time, pretty much the same. Third time the bear is destroyed. Seen many a bear at the scout camps up around New Hartford over the years. Most of the time they ignore humans.

The other thing we taught boys when hiking is to not have any "smellables" on them or in a backpack. And yes that means no deoderant! Would not be surprised if that young lady has perfume on and/ or shampooed her hair that day.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
View attachment 56756

I used to hike in bear country with my old friend Sam close by my side. I guess gone are the good old days when you could carry some serious self protection gear. Now its bells and pepper spray. PS see CL82's post.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Bearly in the same category but I had a close encounter with a bobcat this weekend. We were sitting on the deck in the evening when I noticed the bobcat crouched in a corner of our backyard. Our neighbor's cat saw it and started approaching it (as I ran to get my camera). It got within 8-10" and the bobcat leapt - and missed.
Then the chase was on. My intent was to let nature take it's course but I decided to intervene because I knew what was about to happen would ruin my wife's evening. I ran up to the bobcat yelling loudly (including some obscenities), and it stopped about 10' away and just stared at me and I'm thinking oops, wish my friend Sam M1911 was here, or even a big stick. Anyway the neighbor's cat escaped, although I'm sure less at least one life and the bobcat turned and just trotted off into the bushes.
Bobcat2.jpg

Reaction Score
living in Ct. anyone who lives in the suburbs (and sometimes in the city) has had some type of encounter with a Black Bear. Living in Burlington we have them going through our yard three or four times a week. Two big males and a female with cubs. I got out of my truck one time and carried a load of tomato stakes on each shoulder while walking to the shed in the back yard. As I turned the corner a three hundred pounder was standing about twenty feet away trying to get to a bird feeder I had hanging on a clothesline. We looked at each other and I backed away. He just got down on his four paws and turned and walked away. I never want to get any closer. When I called the DEP I was told that there was a large bear population in Ct. and we had to learn to get along with them. Maybe I should have invited him for dinner.
How did you get his weight

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
CT will tag a "nuisance bear" twice. The tags are located on the ears so as to be readily identifiable. First tag, the bear will be relocated. However, the bear will find its way back. Second time, pretty much the same. Third time the bear is destroyed. Seen many a bear at the scout camps up around New Hartford over the years. Most of the time they ignore humans.

The other thing we taught boys when hiking is to not have any "smellables" on them or in a backpack. And yes that means no deoderant! Would not be surprised if that young lady has perfume on and/ or shampooed her hair that day.

I'm a fan of bear hazing w/ Karelian bear dogs. Nobody gets hurt, but the previously highly desirable location for the bear to hang around becomes significantly less desirable and it will likely move on and not continue to have troublesome encounters with people. I don't think this practice is widespread, but I've seen some clips of it and it seems to work well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

This year a grizzly killed a hiker in Yellowstone, the first such incident in 25 years. There will be no consequence to the grizzly. She had 2 cubs with her. The hiker and his wife came upon the mom and cubs at a distance, but they did not turn and leave. Rather they tried to angle away and keep hiking. They lost sight of the bears, but momma found them and killed the man.

The greater hazard in Yellowstone is bison. You are given a "newspaper" about bison hazards when you enter the park. To some it just doesn't matter. You usually see them flying through the air still clutching their camera.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Folks are not always blessed with common sense. Less often, you read of them doing remarkably stupid things at the zoo.

We have quite a selection of nasty things here in Arizona, but size is not generally the problem. Snakes, insects, even frogs.

Then there are Javelina - a form of Peccary. We saw some when we were driving around the day before our Arizona house hunt and called our sales agent to find out what they were. He explained, and indicated some folks - for some obscure reason - think they are cute and feed them. Javelina get very mad when they are not fed when they expect to be. None in our neighborhood, just an occasional Coyote.

One other example of human, well, not common sense. Some folks keep Capybara as pets - up to allowing them to sleep in their bed. That also does not necessarily go well. If you don't know what a Capybara is, I won't ruin it for you.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
This year a grizzly killed a hiker in Yellowstone, the first such incident in 25 years. There will be no consequence to the grizzly. She had 2 cubs with her. The hiker and his wife came upon the mom and cubs at a distance, but they did not turn and leave. Rather they tried to angle away and keep hiking. They lost sight of the bears, but momma found them and killed the man.

The greater hazard in Yellowstone is bison. You are given a "newspaper" about bison hazards when you enter the park. To some it just doesn't matter. You usually see them flying through the air still clutching their camera.
I have a bison story to go along with my bobcat post. Years ago we were visiting Olympic Game Park in Washington State. One of those places where you can drive around and the animals run free (except the really big nasty ones) . For a buck you could get a loaf of stale wonder bread to feed the various critters mostly deer, mountain goats etc. However, we had a bison come up to the car and my daughter (then about 10) decided to roll down the window to feed it. She got the window down and it stuck it's entire head in. If you've ever been up close to buffalo breath and mega snot you understand when I say my kid freaked out. She scared hell out of the buffalo and it tried to back out of the window but it got a horn stuck in the headliner of my car.

Meanwhile I was laughing my a** off, at least until I saw my headliner in shreds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom