I wonder if there are any other teams in the country whose best foul shooter | The Boneyard

I wonder if there are any other teams in the country whose best foul shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
has scored fewer points from the foul line than the worst foul shooter on that same team. Seems like Uconn's best foul shooter, for the sake of the team and herself, should be able to find a way to get to the line more than once a game.

Reaction Score
An opposing coach/team would be mindful of whom to put on the line; Especially in crucial situations.

Wilt and Shaq, who would be the worst free throw shooters on any team for whom they played, are second and third all time in free throw attempts. One has to go down to #5 Kobe Bryant before reaching an .800+ free throw shooter among the all time attempts leaders. Among the top ten all time NBA free throw percentage leaders only two, Reggie Miller and Chauncey Billups, are among the top 50 all time in free throw attempts.

Reaction Score
To follow up the previous post:

On the great 2002 UConn team, Swin Cash, a .700 foul shooter attempted more free throws than Sue Bird(.942) and Diana Taurasi(.828) combined.

In 2001, Cash was, in fact, the worst free throw shooter on the team and attempted almost twice as many free throws as the next highest person, Tamika Williams, who barely had a better percentage than Cash.

In the entire website archived history of UConn WBB, the team's best free throw shooter has never had the most attempts. Maya Moore came close in 2011, Tiffany Hayes was close in 2012. Breanna Stewart will have a shot at the accomplishment next season.

Reaction Score

On the great 2002 UConn team, Swin Cash, a .700 foul shooter attempted more free throws than Sue Bird(.942) and Diana Taurasi(.828) combined.

In 2001, Cash was, in fact, the worst free throw shooter on the team and attempted almost twice as many free throws as the next highest person, Tamika Williams, who barely had a better percentage than Cash.

In the entire website archived history of UConn WBB, the team's best free throw shooter has never had the most attempts. Maya Moore came close in 2011, Tiffany Hayes was close in 2012. Breanna Stewart will have a shot at the accomplishment next season.
Would you point me to the website of archived team stats? I've had trouble finding it. Thanks!

Reaction Score

I was just trying to point out that I think 16 free throws in 15 games by Kaleena is a rather sorry stat for a player of her caliber, or maybe for anyone who plays as many minutes as she does.

Reaction Score
I was just trying to point out that I think 16 free throws in 15 games by Kaleena is a rather sorry stat for a player of her caliber, or maybe for anyone who plays as many minutes as she does.
Thanks so much. This has year to year stats. But, is there a site you know of that has the team records? That's what I can't seem to find anywhere?

Reaction Score

As we all know, she now holds the school record for made 3's so she must be spending a lot of her minutes on the 3 point line. That fact probably explains why she is not drawing more fouls and therefore foul shot attempts.

Reaction Score
has scored fewer points from the foul line than the worst foul shooter on that same team. Seems like Uconn's best foul shooter, for the sake of the team and herself, should be able to find a way to get to the line more than once a game.
She just broke the record for three point shots. Most of her shots are from the outside. Not often do you get fouled shooting from where she does and as quick as she does. Those mixing it up in the paint and going to the hoop get the foul calls. You make a good point here but drawing fouls does not seem to be one of her strong points at this time.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Thanks so much. This has year to year stats. But, is there a site you know of that has the team records? That's what I can't seem to find anywhere?

Here you go.

Select UConn/<the season you want>/Women's Basketball from the drop-down lists and hit the Search button.

They even have the 95-96 season statistics and results, including game attendance.

The data for women's basketball goes back to the 81-82 season.

On edit. Oops! Answered the wrong question. What you want (team record lists) is in the media guides, which you can find on the archive site given above. In this year's guide, the records section begins on page 49.

Reaction Score
JRRJ Thanks for the link. Just looked at the 1995 Championship season. Attendance averaged slightly under 8,000 per game. Those days are gone I guess.

Reaction Score
Thanx to JRRRJ's NCAA link, about which I was totally ignorant, it was brought to light that Kerry Bascom in 1990 led the team in free throws attempted and in free throw percentage(casting aside/ignoring that Heidi Robbins was 4/4).

Again, great job with the link JRRRJ.

The 1995 team shot less than 70% as a team from the free throw line. The one game in which free throws were an issue, Carla Berube, a 68% free throw shooter calmly sank two free throws late in the national championship game against Tennessee to provide a winnable cushion. Coach Auriemma's best statistical option was Jamelle Elliott, but he opted to be sure the ball got into Berube's hands. In hindsight, great call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here you go.

Select UConn/<the season you want>/Women's Basketball from the drop-down lists and hit the Search button.

They even have the 95-96 season statistics and results, including game attendance.

The data for women's basketball goes back to the 81-82 season.

On edit. Oops! Answered the wrong question. What you want (team record lists) is in the media guides, which you can find on the archive site given above. In this year's guide, the records section begins on page 49.
Thank you!! Much appreciated.

Reaction Score
Ummm…no. Why should she?

Assuming that your unnamed foul shooter is Kaleena and not Tierney (who at 2 for 2 is actually the best percentage foul shooter at UConn this season), there’s no point; Kaleena is most productive shooting three pointers.

As of January 14th, Kaleena is just under 50% when shooting three pointers (45/91, or .495). With the value of a three point shot being three points (obviously), every three point shot that she takes nets the team about 1.48 points.

She is over 55% on two point shots (27/49, or .551). But since these shot are only worth two points (again, obviously) every two point shot that she takes nets the team only about 1.10 points. Her percentage on two pointers is better, but it doesn’t make up for the difference in value.

As UConn’s second-best percentage foul shooter Kaleena is a very impressive 15/16 (or .938). That’s another 15 points – for the sake of argument, let’s assume that they all occurred on two point shots, so, 27 baskets x 2 points, plus 15 more points, all divided by 49 shots; or, even including all her foul shooting points, every two point shot that she takes would only net the team 1.41 points; still less than that per three point attempt.

And that's assuming that all her fouls shots resulted from two-point attempts; those fouls shots could occur from non-shooting situations...some could even occur during three point shots. And every time she drives, there’s also a chance that she could draw a charge...(it’s pretty rare to get called for a charge on a three-point shot.)

While taking pull ups jumpers, driving for layups, putting back rebounds and drawing fouls all make her a better overall player and a more balanced scoring threat, the most productive thing that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis can do “for the sake of the team and herself” is to continue to take – and make – three point shots, not to drive for twos and hope to draw a foul.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is really the only player on the roster who draws a decent amount of free throws. UConn's style and recent type of players, I believe, tends to lend itself to few FT attempts.

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is really the only player on the roster who draws a decent amount of free throws. UConn's style and recent type of players, I believe, tends to lend itself to few FT attempts.

And also Nurse (1st in FTA, 2nd in FTM). Our frosh are good at getting to the line, but only mediocre at making them. Oh well. :D

Reaction Score
Ummm…no. Why should she?

Assuming that your unnamed foul shooter is Kaleena and not Tierney (who at 2 for 2 is actually the best percentage foul shooter at UConn this season), there’s no point; Kaleena is most productive shooting three pointers.

As of January 14th, Kaleena is just under 50% when shooting three pointers (45/91, or .495). With the value of a three point shot being three points (obviously), every three point shot that she takes nets the team about 1.48 points.

She is over 55% on two point shots (27/49, or .551). But since these shot are only worth two points (again, obviously) every two point shot that she takes nets the team only about 1.10 points. Her percentage on two pointers is better, but it doesn’t make up for the difference in value.

As UConn’s second-best percentage foul shooter Kaleena is a very impressive 15/16 (or .938). That’s another 15 points – for the sake of argument, let’s assume that they all occurred on two point shots, so, 27 baskets x 2 points, plus 15 more points, all divided by 49 shots; or, even including all her foul shooting points, every two point shot that she takes would only net the team 1.41 points; still less than that per three point attempt.

And that's assuming that all her fouls shots resulted from two-point attempts; those fouls shots could occur from non-shooting situations...some could even occur during three point shots. And every time she drives, there’s also a chance that she could draw a charge...(it’s pretty rare to get called for a charge on a three-point shot.)

While taking pull ups jumpers, driving for layups, putting back rebounds and drawing fouls all make her a better overall player and a more balanced scoring threat, the most productive thing that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis can do “for the sake of the team and herself” is to continue to take – and make – three point shots, not to drive for twos and hope to draw a foul.

To say that a three-point shooter should simply keep firing up three point shots rather than consider other ways to score is woefully incomplete reasoning. As Stanford did, and I expect the better teams in the tournament will do, you face guard her, and she has a problem. She really has difficulty taking a defender off the dribble, so we are seeing Geno putting her in the middle and down low of recent games, so as to give her other ways to score. Hopefully she will get better at forcing contact down there, though I tend to think that Kaleena likes to avoid contact. I think that her elbow injury last year has really contributed to her caution.

Reaction Score
On most teams, the worst foul shooters get to the line more often than the best ones. The obvious reason is that the best ones frequently are stationary outside shooters who don't drive a lot and aren't tall enough to play in the paint. Thus they don't draw many fouls. In contrast, the worst FT shooters often are post players who don't shoot particularly well but still get a lot of playing time due to their ability to score inside and to rebound and to block shots and to play post defense. If a post player is a weak outside shooter (and a weak FT shooter), she will still play major minutes if the rest of her game is strong. And she will end up on the line a lot if she is a good offensive post player. So it is fairly normal for the weak FT shooters to go the line more often than the really good ones.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The games I've been watching lately do not show any indication of KML having difficulty driving by defenders and hooking in short jump shots when she wants to. She has just incredibly supreme balance for 3-pt shooting and that is clearly where she should focus most of his attempts on. As long as she moves around the perimeter, attempts to face guard on a team with Tuck, Stewie, and MoJeff causing havoc in the paint are going to be very difficult. She has been working on the drives and taking more of them recently, but let's face it, there is a memory of a nasty injury that occurred during a scrap in the paint that no one wants repeated. Sometimes just because a shot might be rewarded with a slightly higher production value, it is also unwise because of a much higher risk factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom