I will admit Brimah is not as far along as I had hoped | The Boneyard

I will admit Brimah is not as far along as I had hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I consider myself among his biggest fans, but what he did - or didn't do - over the last four games cannot be left unsaid, even from somebody who has stated in the past that he'd take a junior Brimah over a freshman Stone.

On the surface, he had a good season and appears to be on the pace most had established for him. Nine points, five boards, and four blocks on 69% shooting is nothing to dismiss considering where he was two years ago. If nothing else, he's an athletic seven footer who sometimes plays the part and provides valuable spacing on his worst day.

But what concerns me is his progression, or lack thereof. It isn't hard to argue that he's the same player now that he was in November. It would be an overstatement to say he was a non-factor in the AAC Tournament - he did swat eighteen shots and provide some commendable pick-and-roll crunch-time defense - but he continues to be outmuscled and out-skilled in the post and virtually every post entry to him ended in disaster.

Most alarmingly of all, his rebounding rate from freshman to sophomore year has actually gone in the wrong direction (7.4 per 40 last year, 6.9 this year...and that doesn't include his doughnut tonight), and of everything a big man can learn, rarely do you see somebody improve from awful to respectable over one offseason.

It's fair to acknowledge that his offseason surgery may have contributed to all of this stuff, but I'm not sure it explains his stagnation between November and now. I still have high hopes for him moving forward, but I'm disappointed he couldn't make more of an impact these last couple weeks. It's really hard to become a great team unless you have big men who can rebound - with Phil being what he is at this point, Brimah really needs to get a lot better this offseason.

Reaction Score
How much he progresses is the key to our season next year IMO. Purvis and Hamilton are going to be studs. Adams will have his moments, and will struggle early in the year. If Amida can become a solid OVERALL big man we will be a great team. If he continues to be who he is, we will struggle to make the tournament.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
he tailed off badly

Reaction Score
Good post. But his offseason no longer is an acceptable excuse. A lot of games later there's little to prove he will be any more than what you saw in 35 games this year I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Reaction Score
There are no more 'ifs' and 'hope' for Brimah. He must now prove if he can play basketball at a high Div 1 level. Two years with this type of regression should give no one hope or play the if game. He got benched on the last game of the season for goodness sakes.

Its on him, but as for next year the expectation to me it has to be based on his best games played this year. To expect a significant improvement is unfounded. Sure its possible but junior year its "Show Me" time or "I'll believe it when I see it".

Reaction Score
Good post. But his offseason no longer is an acceptable excuse. A lot of games later there's little to prove he will be any more than what you saw in 35 games this year I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Nope. His off season still is an excuse. Players don't typically make mid season leaps. Amidah did improve a lot, especially considering his limited offseason. Champs, who I consider one of the Boneyards' best posters, simply overrated AB throughout the season. He ended the season in an ugly way, which has left a bad impression, but Amidah definitely improved on offense, and his rim protection is an elite skill. I think he will learn to jump less. and will develop a solid move in the offseason and will be even more of a difference maker next year.

Reaction Score
There are no more 'ifs' and 'hope' for Brimah. He must now prove if he can play basketball at a high Div 1 level. Two years with this type of regression should give no one hope or play the if game. He got benched on the last game of the season for goodness sakes.

Its on him, but as for next year the expectation to me it has to be based on his best games played this year. To expect a significant improvement is unfounded. Sure its possible but junior year its "Show Me" time or "I'll believe it when I see it".

Everything about this post is stupid.

Reaction Score
Nope. His off season still is an excuse. Players don't typically make mid season leaps. Amidah did improve a lot, especially considering his limited offseason. Champs, who I consider one of the Boneyards' best posters, simply overrated AB throughout the season. He ended the season in an ugly way, which has left a bad impression, but Amidah definitely improved on offense, and his rim protection is an elite skill. I think he will learn to jump less. and will develop a solid move in the offseason and will be even more of a difference maker next year.

Offseason was not good for the ability to get stronger and play games so there is a little. But when you have guy who was okay early and was awful the last month or 2 where's the offseason at that point. He needs to understand the game, when will that take place. His improvement will not come with strength it will come more from his ability tu know where to put himself and when to do the right things. Thus far he has proven incapable of retaining what the coaches have taught him. So if the offseason is watching film over and over and playing in leagues to ensure he knows more about his position and how to play it, he may better. Otherwise even with 15 labs of muscle don't expect much. Just one man's opinion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Someone posted that KO changed his coaching style and preferences. I think KF and AB regressed because the coaching staff has asked them to make adjustments from their instinctual abilities. It cost Ryan but I think the staff was already looking to next season.

You could see both those players watching the plays and thinking what the coaches wanted from them versus earlier in the season the coaches letting them basically play street ball.

It's a gamble because Kentan is a natural rebounder and AB is a natural blocker, but Kentan loses position, doesn't know how to adjust on pick and rolls and so on. Same with Amida. If they can figure it out and the pace of the game slows down for them UConn will be fine. A big IF but I'm slightly optimistic.

Reaction Score
Everything about this post is stupid.
Sorry if you think so but many of you will predict that Brimah will be the second coming of Tim Duncan or make huge offseason improvements.

I am not going to predict or make expectations. I am sitting on the fence with a show me attitude.

Have fun with fantasy but I'm staying real.

Reaction Score
Offseason was not good for the ability to get stronger and play games so there is a little. But when you have guy who was okay early and was awful the last month or 2 where's the offseason at that point. He needs to understand the game, when will that take place. His improvement will not come with strength it will come more from his ability tu know where to put himself and when to do the right things. Thus far he has proven incapable of retaining what the coaches have taught him. So if the offseason is watching film over and over and playing in leagues to ensure he knows more about his position and how to play it, he may better. Otherwise even with 15 labs of muscle don't expect much. Just one man's opinion.

He's been playing competitive basketball for like 4 years. You don't think he can improve his understanding of the game? That is absurd.

Reaction Score
He's been playing competitive basketball for like 4 years. You don't think he can improve his understanding of the game? That is absurd.
Dude no one is saying he won't improve. what are you talking about?

Reaction Score

No why would you? How may times can a basketball player at this level make the same damn mistakes game after game after game? He's not even close. At least give me a hint of understanding but he didn't - zero hint.

Reaction Score

He has to improve somewhat but how much will be limited due to thinking the game. Hope he suddenly figures it out, I really do. I'm not holding my breath is all.

Reaction Score
He honestly showed way more back to the basket ability in the AAC tournament last year than he did all of this year. I remember watching some of his post moves against Cincy and Louisville and thinking he'd be a monster. He still very well may be, but he has a lot of improving to do.

I also wish that Ollie wouldn't put him on the same block every time. His right handed hook going baseline is pretty good if he can get separation(big if), but teams realized it after Puerto Rico and took it away.

Reaction Score

You literally said "To expect a significant improvement is unfounded." You also mentioned regression of his game, which is 100% untrue. Mau has also mentioned similar nonsense but he is objectively clueless.

Edit. Amidah sucked this past month, but to act like he hasn't improved is idiotic.

Reaction Score
Honestly, expecting AB to make a noticeable improvement by next year is unlikely. I think he will be a good player hopefully by his senior year. He just has too much to improve on to expect a healthy off season will make a substantial difference.

People constantly bring up his lack of muscle and specifically lower body strength. I'd argue that 20 lb of lower body muscle would/will not make a huge difference. Because in addition to his short comings with lower body strength there are all the aspects of his biggest weakness-lack of court awareness and experiences.

This translates in so many ways. When to go for the block or stay on your man. How to set proper screens. How to roll to the basket. How to space the floor so when your guards drive, you can shield your man creating a driving lane, How to anticipate rebound position. How to move your feet in the post. I can go on and on...

I hope I'm wrong but there is no way AB becomes a 2 way player for us next year. That said he can continue to improve and help us on defense. His offense next year will still be based on guard penetration and easy dunks (which is ok). I think part of the problem is the way KO tried to use him on offense. I'm not the first one who brought this up, but he should be a mobile big. Set picks. Pick and pop, Pick and roll. Face up for a jumper. But please, do not feed him the ball on the block. His offensive game should be much more like a "4" than what we tried to get him to do.

Expectations for him need to change IMO. Nolan and Facey both have games much more suited to get the ball down low and try to go to work. They both have the footwork to at least have something to build on. Most importantly, they both can pass much better out of the post.

Reaction Score
You literally said "To expect a significant improvement is unfounded." You also mentioned regression of his game, which is 100% untrue. Mau has also mentioned similar nonsense but he is objectively clueless.

Edit. Amidah sucked this past month, but to act like he hasn't improved is idiotic.

I'm clueless? You're a funny dude walker. Maybe you should watch film with AB and learn something too!

Reaction Score
I keep it simple for you:

There are 2 types of improvement: 1) little 2) lot.

My post said improvement #1 is taking his best games this year, improvement #2 is unfounded and therefore I'm taking a 'show me/ believe when I see it' approach.

What point are you trying make?

Reaction Score
I would love it if he improved as a rebounder, but I don't ever see him being competent in that area. Better than he is now? Sure, and he's shown flashes of being a solid offensive rebounder. But they desperately need one of Facey/Enoch/Lubin to emerge as a poor man's Adrien.

For me, there are two things that he absolutely needs to get better at for next year:

1. Stop committing 2 fouls in the first half every freakin' game. And for the love of god, stop with the idiotic off the ball fouls. Doris was spot on when she said he should never get whistled for a foul on the offensive end. The defense is about a hundred times better when he's on the floor, so he needs to find a way to stay on it.

2. Please scrap that god-awful hook shot from the right baseline. It's a low-percentage shot as is, and he's shown zero feel for it.

Conversely, he's look really comfortable taking the baseline jumper from either side. He needs to make that the staple of his offensive game (along with the oops from Hamilton) and continue to improve his 15-footer as well.

All things considered, it was a solid sophomore season for Brimah - with expectations so (unrealistically) high going into the year, it's easy to forget just how modest his numbers were a year ago. He's well on his well to being an elite three- or four-year college center, which is a really nice luxury to have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Two years of regression--hes been at Uconn only two years and he doubled his output from his freshmen to sophomore year? He dipped a little towards the end of the year. He actually looked real skinny tonight. He needs a nice healthy offseason where he puts on 15-20 pounds and expands his offense and understands how to find a balance between blocking shots and keeping his ground for rebounds. The guy was a dominant defensive force in MANY games. He needs his body to get stronger--that is natural progression.

Reaction Score

100% untrue?? Exaggerate much? To use a phrase from the Committee, Brimah does not pass the eye test. He clearly did not improve over the course of the year, I'd love to hear evidence to the contrary. You were probably the guy who asked begore the season how many 30 and 15 games he would have. The answer is not even in the ballpark of one. He needs to play or be coached every single day this offseason. Being as objective as possible, how can you say he improved over the course of this year? Because he didn't miss any dunks? He is the key to the team next year, we need more out of him....plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Nobody seems to understand how important rim protection is.

Plus, if the season ended a month ago, everyone would be psyched that Amidah added that baby right hook and showed promise for a face-up mid range game. The fact that he has sucked on offense in March doesn't take that away.

Amidah has his limitations - he has poor balance and weak lower body strength, etc. That said, if he can simply learn to avoid stupid fouls, he will be one of the most important players in the conference because he is an elite rim protector. This is a game changing skill and the fact that so many people don't see this boggles my mind.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hopefully an offseason in the weight room instead of rehabbing will get him some much needed muscle and weight. If he could do that and learn how to gain position he would really become a great player. He does a good job of finishing plays he is in position to finish (easy midrange jumpers, lobs, open layups, and post moves where he's balanaced) it's just that he doesn't get into good position to finish himself. Hopefully we see a much better Brimah next year after a full off-season. It's cool that despite having such a poor offensive game and undisciplined defense he still averaged 9pts and was top 5 in the country in FG% and blocks. Brimah is going to be a really good one, relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom