I was wrong to call Boyle Horrible. | The Boneyard

I was wrong to call Boyle Horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boyle looked good on the first drive. Nice bootleg and sideline pass for 12 yards, reads the pressure and man defense scheme and scrambles to pick up a chunk of yards ( he was decisive with his decision which shows instincts). He looks alot better in the read-option than whitmer due to his increased speed and athleticism, where he can hurt the defense if they don't key in on him.

What he has going for him is his size and arm strength. He has a gun and if he has protection and steps up he can make all of the Throws! Accuracy is an issue but his first college game the Adrenalin is probably a little too high, but experience and repetition does wonders. When he catches up to game speed and if he improves his accuracy, he is a dangerous qb.

He can throw over the top of the defense, which opens up the running game and makes the safeties play more honest, and hesitate to overplay the line of scrimmage for fear of a bomb dropping in over their heads. The can also zip in the pass in tight coverage.

His most impressive throws were the pass to bradley across the middle and the hail mary pass to Davis which was on target ( from 55 yards +) and on the hands. Davis had a chance to grab, he could have timed his jump a little bit better.

It is obvious that nerves played a big part in his accuracy issues. And on the last two drives Boyle had about 4 potential picks, due to the pressure of having to throw the ball, inexperience and shabby pass protection in obvious passing situations.

he didn't run the 2 minute offense well. Meaning he didn't push the offense to get to the line of scrimmage fast enough. And he didn't think to spike the ball with 18 seconds left. ,

that is probably on the coaching staff for not prepping him enough for those situations.

But the thing is that game experience was invaluable. He had a chance to throw the ball 43 times, and he made a bunch of mistakes but he also showed alot of potential.

Real game experience is developing him faster much faster, not only from week to week, but over the off season he can look back at the tape work on fundamentals and drastically improve.

As a true freshman with only 1 start under his belt. He can go out there and throw 4 picks. But the main positive is that he has the ability to go out there and throw 4 tds also.

The quickest way to judge and develop a young qb is to play him. If he throws 8 picks and has 4 fumbles in 5 games, so be it, but he will be a better qb for it.

Thinking about it reflectively, it is better for the program to play the most talented young players and give them experience. You got to take big risks to get bigger rewards down the line.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Will-Smith-Thinking-As-The-Fresh-Prince-Of-Bel-Air.gif

Reaction Score
Hey - I'm fine with it. Call it like you see it, and if you think you're wrong admit it. I try to. If not - stick to your guns. What else can you do? I was dead wrong to think that our roster was as good as I proclaimed it to be in the offseason. Overreaction to the negative Nancy's? Maybe. But I was wrong. Your reaction to Boyle? I think you said it was fueled by the fans that had put so much on the kid. Whatever.

We are good enough, talent wise, to win games, right now - we are not getting destroyed and winless because we simply don't have the players to compete, but we're going to have to work harder and make less mistakes than our opponents - but isn't that always the case?

I was an emotional wreck after that game on Saturday. It was such a great day for football, it was such a fun day for me, my family and friends, yet we lost again. AGAIN. I must have gone from the attitude "We Suck Balls." to "Wow, we've got real potential here." a hundred times. I wondered openly if I was after all my years actually learning to accept losing. (I'm not). I have never seen this program lose like we are losing now.

The undeniable fact is that we have talent issues with our depth on offense. If Philips is on the field, chances are we win. If we had a senior scholarship TE that's been catching balls for 4-5 years, most likely we win that game. I can afford to do that now, be unstable emotionally after a game - I'm getting older and have the luxury. The players and coaches themselves? need to be a lot more focused and short term memory and focused on the moment, so that in the future they can demonstrate learning from the past.

I want to win, and I'm sure nobody else wants to win more than the players themselves. They got to go out and do it though.

What didn't exist two weeks ago, and exists now - is hope - for us fans. Boyle playing, is part of that. The only reason? The most important reason? Hell no. But it is part of it.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
If you really want your Mea culpa to stick I suggest requesting the mods take down the other thread.

Reaction Score
It was a typical reaction immediately after or during a game. There is a lesson there for all of us. I still haven't watched the replay but will at some point. Im probably,on the other end of the spectrum in that I came away thinking maybe too highly of the kid, because haven't had too many qbs with his raw ability.

Reaction Score
It was a typical reaction immediately after or during a game. There is a lesson there for all of us. I still haven't watched the replay but will at some point. Im probably,on the other end of the spectrum in that I came away thinking maybe too highly of the kid, because haven't had too many qbs with his raw ability.

The initial post was anything but typical ... the follow up is even more perplexing. He was impressed by a Hail Mary??? Is he for real???

Reaction Score
When some people were ripping him as hard as they were, I thought I had watched a different game. His stats weren't great, but he did a good job of finding an open receiver and throwing it to them. He ran well a few times and seemed to react well to pressure in terms of moving away from it and stepping up into the pocket to take advantage of his linemen. These are things we haven't seen a ton of a while, so I think the move to start Boyle was correct and I think the speculation I've seen here that he started b/c P promised him he wouldn't redshirt him and other related nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Reaction Score
I saw Whitmer at Chipotle in Manchester today. I guess he's about to be $hitmer. AMIRITE????

Reaction Score
Barring injury, Boyle will be the starter through the 2016 season. He's that good and we're fortunate to have him; he's a true Husky.

Happy to put my neck on the same chopping block with you. Barring injury, he's the man. Saw him in HS and seeing him skill-wise at this level is enough for me. Is it a guarantee? Of course not! But nothing you or I or anyone else says is going to impact whether or not he is successful. He'll go as far as his skills and his smarts and his coaches and his heart take him. So it's a gut feeling based on the eyes I trust the most. Mine.

Reaction Score
I think he is the man for the rest of the season. The next head coach may have other ideas, so he needs to really needs to find his groove quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom