I was just thinking, what if..... | The Boneyard

I was just thinking, what if.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is a given that Geno and CD will retire. What if the AD of UCONN goes outside the family to hire a replacement. We have had many discussions regarding Shea, Jenn, et al, but what head coach would be willing to leave their current position to interview for a most pressure packed job?

Looking outside the current list of the top five coaches in the NCAA, I wonder if Sherri Coale of OU would answer the call? She and Geno have been friends for twenty years. I believe he has mentored her. Sherri has an outstanding resume which includes taking a program from zero. Her teams are consistently in the dance. She also has USA basketball experience.

I was just thinking, what if.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This constant looking at the end, while the program is at a very high level with a guy who seems perfectly happy with his lot in life is a real downer. Free country, but ....

Reaction Score
This has been pretty heavily discussed in past threads.
I think the consensus, with a few other suggestions, is that the offer must go to Daine Turasi.
If they go outside Geno's system, the program will never be the same.
We'd instantly become just another WCBB team.
None of the other coaches seem to get it and none of the others are anything but mediocre compared to Geno.
If there is a fresh start it has to be with someone who "gets" it.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Jose from USF teaches better basketball than most. The woman from St Johns that went to Michigan I like. I like this California coach a lot. And I love Sherri Coale!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Jose from USF teaches better basketball than most. The woman from St Johns that went to Michigan I like. I like this California coach a lot. And I love Sherri Coale!
I agree on Gottlieb and Coale. I am puzzled, though, why Coale hasn't had more FF caliber teams over the years. Geno spoke highly of her in his book. Sounds like the woman at Arizona State must be pretty effective also. I haven't heard/seen much of the Michigan coach since she took over there.

Like most on here, I don't really want to think about UCONN post-Geno. I wonder if Gail Goestenkors (sp?) would be interested in the job, or would be offered. By the time Geno hangs it up, she might be considered too old.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't see any coach from a major program being interested in Uconn and most coaches at P5 schools wouldn't be interested either - why take over from a legend and spend your years being compared to him, when you have your own program already.

It is much more likely that an up and coming coach at a mid major or an assistant coach at a major program will be the next coach, including one of the Uconn family.

Reaction Score
I don't see any coach from a major program being interested in Uconn and most coaches at P5 schools wouldn't be interested either - why take over from a legend and spend your years being compared to him, when you have your own program already.

It is much more likely that an up and coming coach at a mid major or an assistant coach at a major program will be the next coach, including one of the Uconn family.
I remember someone saying you don't want to be the coach that follows the Legendary Coach. You want to be the one after....

Reaction Score
It is a given that Geno and CD will retire. What if the AD of UCONN goes outside the family to hire a replacement. We have had many discussions regarding Shea, Jenn, et al, but what head coach would be willing to leave their current position to interview for a most pressure packed job?

Looking outside the current list of the top five coaches in the NCAA, I wonder if Sherri Coale of OU would answer the call? She and Geno have been friends for twenty years. I believe he has mentored her. Sherri has an outstanding resume which includes taking a program from zero. Her teams are consistently in the dance. She also has USA basketball experience.

AD would be tarred and feathered. We are the best, we have trained the best and they are family. arguably the best program in any sport over a legitimate period of time. A husky will lead the Husky's, as they should!

Reaction Score

I agree, and two that I really like are Katie Abrahamson-Henderson from Albany and Raegan Pebley from TCU. I also really like Suzie McConnel-Serio, but she doesn't seem to want to leave the Pittsburgh area.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
This has been pretty heavily discussed in past threads.
I think the consensus, with a few other suggestions, is that the offer must go to Daine Turasi.
If they go outside Geno's system, the program will never be the same.
We'd instantly become just another WCBB team.
None of the other coaches seem to get it and none of the others are anything but mediocre compared to Geno.
If there is a fresh start it has to be with someone who "gets" it.

Can't agree with almost any of this. DT has no coaching experience, that I know of, at any level.
"The program will never be the same" is likely true whether "they" go outside Geno's system or not, given that he and CD have accomplished something that has never been done before in WCBB.
"We'd instantly become just another WCBB team" is kinda foolish. It's not like the movie Cinderella, where everything poofs back to mice and pumpkins at midnight. UCLA after Wooden and Tennessee after Summitt were no longer the superprograms, but they weren't "just another WCBB team".
"None of the other coaches seem to get it and none of the others are anything but mediocre.." - so, in all of WCBB, there's only one person that exceeds mediocre?

I agree with the last statement, and I'm a tad more optimistic that this person exists.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

Hmmm- you may be right UC. But I'm not so sure about that.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I agree, and two that I really like are Katie Abrahamson-Henderson from Albany and Raegan Pebley from TCU. I also really like Suzie McConnel-Serio, but she doesn't seem to want to leave the Pittsburgh area.
That Princeton Coach appears to be something!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I agree on Gottlieb and Coale. I am puzzled, though, why Coale hasn't had more FF caliber teams over the years. Geno spoke highly of her in his book. Sounds like the woman at Arizona State must be pretty effective also. I haven't heard/seen much of the Michigan coach since she took over there.

Like most on here, I don't really want to think about UCONN post-Geno. I wonder if Gail Goestenkors (sp?) would be interested in the job, or would be offered. By the time Geno hangs it up, she might be considered too old.
She has not been able to sustain some of her early successes- I agree!

Reaction Score
Some names that came to mind.....

Kim Barnes Arico
Courtney Banghart
Brian Giorgis
Kelly Graves
Michelle Clark-Heard

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Tanya, Shea, Diana, Sue, Chris, Marisa, Jenn. My fave; DT as head coach and CD stays on for a few years to ease the transition. Who would be a better recruiter than The Legend?

Reaction Score
Tanya, Shea, Diana, Sue, Chris, Marisa, Jenn. My fave; DT as head coach and CD stays on for a few years to ease the transition. Who would be a better recruiter than The Legend?

Of course but sticking to the spirit of 'what if?' what coaches outside the UConn family would you suggest?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I gotta go with Uconn34.

Reaction Score

1. Why is it a given Geno will retire??
2. Sherri Coale, I love the woman and coach at OU, but not at UConn.
3. A "consensus of fans selected DT?? Not me DT is a great player not a soul on earth knows if she can coach at this level.
4. I opt of Jibar--no Geno, but inventive and adaptable
5.. Home grown--Shea.
6. Retirement talk can only impair Genos ability to recruit.

Reaction Score

At least in Connecticut, and with Uconn BB fans, Calhoun was "legendary". I've heard people say recently---Who is Calhoun?? Memories are short if the coach following WINS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom