I want VCU in the league | The Boneyard

I want VCU in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does this work?

Or ... do you have to be Aresco to open that ol' side door.

VCU? We have Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis & us. VCU brings a solid 5th basketball program in this league & that's what UConn needs. Apparently, the C-7 aren't taking them. Screw 'em. Time this NBE gets a aggressive in the right way once. We NEED to grab some value. VCU is VALUE. That Shaka Smart can coach. We can get back some lustre.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
pudge, i am not for bball onlys at this point in any way. but i still want vcu. atleast over tulane any day. besides being a regional school to uconn-temple-cincy i list the following.
-va has uva and vt. then a handful of potential 3rd best schools. vcu has a 1 up on the rest with recent bball sucess. the potential is greater...
-va recruiting
-public research school 30k size
-richmond market
-half bill endow
-some interesting history to add to the recent bball story
-academics are rising kinda like 90s uconn. tier 1 school usnews wise and top 100 public in country...
-small bball armena at like 8k but they are building a 15mil bball practice facility
-they are very close to making a fball program usf style. this is the push they need.

Reaction Score
How much VALUE will VCU have when SHAKA gets a better job? How much UPSIDE?
You did watch CBB before SS got to VCU, right? They were strong under Grant as well.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You did watch CBB before SS got to VCU, right? They were strong under Grant as well.
What is this CBB of which you SPEAK? Is it TRENDING upward?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
pudge, i am not for bball onlys at this point in any way. but i still want vcu. atleast over tulane any day. besides being a regional school to uconn-temple-cincy i list the following.
-small bball armena at like 8k but they are building a 15mil bball practice facility
-they are very close to making a fball program usf style. this is the push they need.

1) Dan, you're on vacation again. Just because.

2) I hope Pudge was joking.

3) Football at VCU is at the club level. They are nowhere near doing anything with their football program - it's not on their schedule yet. USF started the process of beginning a football program in 1991 - took them six years and the availability of an NFL stadium to make that a reality.

VCU has nothing - they're a eight to ten years and $175,000,000 away.

4) Their hoop facility is half-funded. Fully funding the project will be a problem if/when....

5) Shaka Smart leaves in six weeks. A rapid return to mid-major town might soon follow. (Not that it matters, given they don't have a football program.)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
YOU DONT WANNA GO TO WAAAAAARRRRRRR

Reaction Score
Yeah

This was my anti-UMass post ... and part of my anti-UMass mindset. VCU is interesting. My point, as a UConn fan, how do we keep Hoop at a high level? No need for poor basketball/midlevel Football schools.

How about a "Champions League" like Euro Soccer. Put Memphis, UConn, Cincy, Temple, SD State, Gonzaga, BYU, New Mexico, UNLV ... In a made for TV round in mid to late Feb. Get some $$$

Reaction Score
Just knew someone would say this sooner or later. ODU and Georgia State are on deck.

Does this work?

Or ... do you have to be Aresco to open that ol' side door.

VCU? We have Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis & us. VCU brings a solid 5th basketball program in this league & that's what UConn needs. Apparently, the C-7 aren't taking them. Screw 'em. Time this NBE gets a aggressive in the right way once. We NEED to grab some value. VCU is VALUE. That Shaka Smart can coach. We can get back some lustre.

Reaction Score
That's actually a tremendous idea. You could fill an OOC slate like that and boost RPI like mad.

Yeah

This was my anti-UMass post ... and part of my anti-UMass mindset. VCU is interesting. My point, as a UConn fan, how do we keep Hoop at a high level? No need for poor basketball/midlevel Football schools.

How about a "Champions League" like Euro Soccer. Put Memphis, UConn, Cincy, Temple, SD State, Gonzaga, BYU, New Mexico, UNLV ... In a made for TV round in mid to late Feb. Get some $

Reaction Score
There is no sense in allowing both the football program and the basketball programs to suffer. Kentucky is perfectly fine in all of this, and Calipari still is turning his program into a travelling circus. Uconn should do some of the same things. Do to conference schedules and limited games, the program cannot be as creative schedule-wise with the football team, but with so many games for basketball, there is no good reason not to do this with basketball. The conference is going to be ok basketball wise, but it is not strong enough that I feel comfortbale.

Imagine if Uconn, SDSU, Gonzaga, and say Butler or VCU scheduled a round-robin series of OOC games throughout Jan/Feb. Each could have a home game, an away game, and two neutral floor games. Everyone generates interest in the programs, and these are interesting marquee games that help the RPI. It is a net win for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom