I want UMass in the league | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I want UMass in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'd love to see UMass as a conference mate. They have to demonstrate a stronger commitment to athletics, though.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting discussion, and you've been fair minded about it. Personally, I think BC has made a huge mistake in blocking UConn to the ACC. Local rivalries increase the size of the pie. They create more interest, and more fans, and more players. Either their cowardice or superioity complex prevent them from seeing it. So I am unwilling to encourage UConn to act like BC. UMass as a conference mate still has more potential than many other options. Taking the long term view, we need more northeastern teams and more natural rivals. Hopefully we'll be gone (in which case I certainly hope UMass gets our old spot) but if not, we need to help create local rivalries (for those on the MBB board, that means continuing to play PC in hoops too).

It is a very interesting discussion and conference realignment has been especially cruel to UConn, and to a lesser degree Cincy and Temple. Temple just spent all that money and complied with everything the Big East asked to gain re-admission...and boom, they are left out. Not comparing to UConn's situation because they don't have the pedigree, but unfortunate for them nonetheless.
I guess I can concede that the wise decision from a UConn perspective would be to schedule UMass as OOC for the near future and gauge what they can bring to the table. The problem with that is CR happens so abruptly followed by the domino effect, I guess I'm hoping that UMass isn't made to wait until the music finally stops and they find themselves without a seat.

Reaction Score
Got it CL82.....so by disagreeing with one or two posters, I'm disrespecting the school or the program? I thought a comment was asinine. I don't know the guy who made it personally, I'm not insinuating anything about his intelligence or personality at all. I thought the comment was asinine. That happens.

But to your last post, I defy you to show me where I called it a cult. I said "IF" in my statement that if just being a UMass fan makes me a troll. If I truly believed this was a cult I would never have registered or posted.

But the bottom line is that I do not come here to start fights or arguments. Naturally, a UMass fan on a UConn board is going to create some discussion where we don't agree. But to fight just for the sake of fighting is ridiculous. Neither one of us has anything to gain by that and life is too short.

I'm beginning to think that CL82 is Mark's wife and they are sitting on the couch w/ dueling ipads!

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that CL82 is Mark's wife and they are sitting on the couch w/ dueling ipads!

No, my wife has called me a lot of things....but never a 13 year old girl:)

Reaction Score
It is a very interesting discussion and conference realignment has been especially cruel to UConn, and to a lesser degree Cincy and Temple. Temple just spent all that money and complied with everything the Big East asked to gain re-admission...and boom, they are left out. Not comparing to UConn's situation because they don't have the pedigree, but unfortunate for them nonetheless.
quote]

Temple merely had to look back a decade or so & see the danger of upgrading and making the Bigtime football ante.

This is not over; and it's not going to be over for awhile. It is severely disappointing to see UConn (football & basketball) attached to a $2m Price Tag on the contract; while, Rutgers is in the stratosphere. But, I think we are looking at another earthquake soon. Who is deserving? The Boise's; USF's; UCF's; Cincy's? Some of them play far better football than the Mississippi's or Indiana's or Virginia's. This needs to work itself through.

UMass? They had a really rough start at this level in 2012. Poor attendance which came from a poor plan. Poor football because they really weren't ready for the MAC. I think it is far too early to discuss bringing them in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Got it CL82.....so by disagreeing with one or two posters, I'm disrespecting the school or the program? I thought a comment was asinine. I don't know the guy who made it personally, I'm not insinuating anything about his intelligence or personality at all. I thought the comment was asinine. That happens.

But to your last post, I defy you to show me where I called it a cult. I said "IF" in my statement that if just being a UMass fan makes me a troll. If I truly believed this was a cult I would never have registered or posted. Ask and ye shall receive:
Mark W said:
Troll????? Can you read???? Did you read how much I respect UConn and everything that UConn has accomplished? If that is a troll, then this is not a message board at all but some kind of cult. And you, my friend, is the one handing out the Kool-Aid. You want me to read all the vitriol and crap that people say about UMass without a response? What should I say? Oh please UConn..help us please to become relevant because without you we are nothing???? Give me a break!!!
And as far as our resume.....football (for the time being), women's basketball, and men's soccer are the only sports you have the advantage now.

But the bottom line is that I do not come here to start fights or arguments. Naturally, a UMass fan on a UConn board is going to create some discussion where we don't agree. But to fight just for the sake of fighting is ridiculous. Neither one of us has anything to gain by that and life is too short.
Lol, Mark you keep setting up the straw man arguments and then shooting them down. You undercut any point you trying to make when you do that. But I've committed the cardinal sin on the internet - feeding the troll. I've got a friend who sums this kind of thing this way: Never get into a pig sty and and wrestle a pig. The pig likes it and and you'll end up smelling like poo. So I'm going to hit ignore and move on. Feel free to comment more, if you want.

Reaction Score
Lol, Mark you keep setting up the straw man arguments and then shooting them down. You undercut any point you trying to make when you do that. But I've committed the cardinal sin on the internet - feeding the troll. I've got a friend who sums this kind of thing this way: Never get into a pig sty and and wrestle a pig. The pig likes it and and you'll end up smelling like poo. So I'm going to hit ignore and move on. Feel free to comment more, if you want.

This is hilarious.....I'm a troll, a pig, and a 13 year old girl....but I offended him by using the word asinine ( and not even aimed at him)...glad this over...this pinhead is giving me a headache

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not even going to touch the Mark-CL82 mess but I'm just curious why exactly we'd want to add ANYONE, let alone UMass? The TV deal is done and not going to get any more money. Why add more mouths to feed when we're already getting a meager sum from the deal? I personally have no problem with Umass and would like to have a team in league that has some history with us but at this point, money is more valuable to UConn and adding anyone to the NBE just dilutes the pot more. Make UMass our annual MAC team on the schedule, I wouldn't mind.

Sorry if this was covered earlier in this thread....I just skipped through most comments by Mark or CL82.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm not even going to touch the Mark-CL82 mess but I'm just curious why exactly we'd want to add ANYONE, let alone UMass? The TV deal is done and not going to get any more money. Why add more mouths to feed when we're already getting a meager sum from the deal? I personally have no problem with Umass and would like to have a team in league that has some history with us but at this point, money is more valuable to UConn and adding anyone to the NBE just dilutes the pot more. Make UMass our annual MAC team on the schedule, I wouldn't mind.

Sorry if this was covered earlier in this thread....I just skipped through most comments by Mark or CL82.
Basically, it's an all-sports conference and all our easy road trips just fled in horror from the prospect of Memphis and Tulane.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
And Aresco wants a championship game, which hopefully won't be worse than the ACC championship game. And we'll get like 20 grand out of it! Yay!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The only good thing about such a tiny TV contract is that splitting it an extra way doesn't cost that much. Despite the lousy deal, I would expect some contract adjustment from ESPN if we add any school remotely tolerable. ESPN needs ESPN3 content.

Reaction Score
UMass... Why not see if URI wants to join the NNNNBE!! If we want our traditional rivalry, why not go with URI (our oldest Rival!)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UMass... Why not see if URI wants to join the NNNNBE!! If we want our traditional rivalry, why not go with URI (our oldest Rival!)

Unlike (just for bringing this garbage topic back to the top of the realignment board).

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity...rumor has it UConn will have men's lacrosse soon....do you know what conf. they will be in? Does this new conf. have lacrosse?

Lacrosse?? Come on....what is next?? Netball?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Does anyone think that Navy will actually ever play a game in the America 12?

Reaction Score
Yes I did......sorry for the omission....guess I thought it was kinda a given!

How about Baseball....? Maybe the only sports UMass say that are better then us is Hockey and Lacrosse!!

Reaction Score
How about Baseball....? Maybe the only sports UMass say that are better then us is Hockey and Lacrosse!!

We all know UCONN sports is better than UMASS but the arrogance about it is getting us nowhere. There is this pie in the sky fantasy (hope it comes true) that somehow we are already or will be in the B1G or ACC. Last I saw we aren't. The question is why has UCONN been passed over? Remember there is the very possibility that we don't get an invite to either. All options need to be on the table and UMASS is a natural rival. Remember that UCONN was a last minute entry into the BIG East and was terrible until Calhoun. Many people attended UCONN games just so they could see Patrick Ewing or Chris Mullen and all the other big names at the time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm for UMass over tulsa
I agree with this 100% but I'm starting to think that this conference is realizing that's its future is NOT in the North. They know that as soon as the CR carousal starts up again, UConn and Cincy will likely, and hopefully, be snatched up. That leaves Temple as the only northern school, currently. I'm starting to wonder if Aresco and company are already panning on making this a Southern centered conference with Temple as the outlier in the future. Adding Umass would not help this geographic footprint while adding Tulsa would. I think if UConn and Cincy were not threats to leave, Umass might be getting th edge so they could strengthen their Northern presence. However, thankfully that's not the case and the MAC is a great home for them right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think UMass is on deck when Navy bolts. Tulsa is such a better football program that they are getting the next nod. I don't think the league is thinking much about UConn leaving.

Reaction Score
Add UMass and Ohio U. Don't know if Ohio would ever leave the MAC though.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members