I want the following for Christmas...what do you want ??? | The Boneyard

I want the following for Christmas...what do you want ???

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christmas? I can't wait until Christmas!
I want a 5 player UCONN 2019 class of Boston, Jones, Griffin, Horston, & Amihere signing NLI on the hood of their father's cars ( if necessary) on the 14 of November.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Christmas? I can't wait until Christmas!
I want a 5 player UCONN 2019 class of Boston, Jones, Griffin, Horston, & Amihere signing NLI on the hood of their father's cars ( if necessary) on the 14 of November.

Well, it looks like Coco and I have similar lists. However, ND has a smaller recruiting class target size and two of those are already filled.

So on Nov. 14th (my eldest daughter's birthday), I'd like either Ms. Boston or Ms. Jones to sign a NLI with the Irish to join Sam Brunelle and Anaya Peoples. Preferably both, but one would be more than fine and dandy. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why not an 8K monitor? They make the 4Ks look old which they are at this point.

I just got a 50" 4K two months ago (and I ❤️ it). Now you're telling me it's already an antique? :eek: WTH?!?
This the best TV I've ever had. It looks EXACTLY like it did in the store, crystal clear and bright. :D I vividly remember the first TV we had (1952) was a 19" b&w TV (with tubes) with rabbit ears and no remote.

images

There were 7 television stations (2,4,5,7,9,11 & 13) in the Los Angeles viewing area broadcasting over the air programs.

The analog pictures were fuzzy at best, depending on the quality of the "rabbit ears" you chose to buy. I remember one by one, all 7 stations going off the air by 1 am. All you would get after that was the test pattern with the Indian in the center. It's amazing how much TV has evolved in the last 65 years. Not only in technology, but in content.

Since it's a slow news week here in the yard, someone should start a thread about Old Time TV (The Golden Age of Television), their first TV, how many TV stations/channels they had, and their favorite shows they watched and enjoyed with their family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just got a 50" 4k 2 months ago (and I ❤️ it). Now you're telling me it's already an antique? WTH?!?
I wouldn’t say antique, but 4 and 5K monitors have been around for years, and last year the first of the 8Ks were released, but you’d likely need to upgrade your video card to run it at full resolution and refresh rate. Not all applications play nice with such a high resolution as text can be microscopically small, so that and the high cost are reasons not to upgrade just yet. But look at the total number of pixels: HD is 2.2 million pixels, Ultra HD (4K) 8 million, 5K 14.7 million, Ultra HD 2 (8K) 33 million, so you can gauge how much the resolution improves as you increase Ks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Why not an 8K monitor? They make the 4Ks look old which they are at this point.
The problem is the human eye is a finite machine. That makes the problem twofold.

1) In order to tell the difference between 4K and 8K you need to half your viewing distance. That's because as the pixels get smaller you are effectively further from the object on the screen. This was the same problem in telling the difference between 1080p and 4K. For the human eye to recognize 1080p from Std definition the viewer needed to be 5 feet from a 40 inch screen (6 ft from 48" screen, 7 ft from a 56" etc.) So, for 4K it's 2 feet from a 32" screen (3' from a 48" screen, 4' from a 64" screen etc.) This also applies to TV's of course. Which is why manufacturers nicely say you need to sit closer. They of course fail to tell you how close. Business is business, and they want to sell as many as possible. Manufacturers will willingly make and sell consumers as many 43" and 50" 4k TV's as they can make. Along with Adam Smith one of the great gods of modern economy is PT Barnum who understood people don't by product they buy the pitch. People are suckers and uninformed ones at that. Long way finally short, for a human to tell the difference between a 4K monitor and an 8K monitor one would need to sit 16" from the screen. Not very practical. For gamers, who are driving the 4K monitor market, 2' from a screen with 120 hz and HDR is just about right. Nvidia is releasing their new cards next month or so and two of those should get us gamers all the 4K, 12o hz, HDR goodies we want. Now for consumers and TV's, they may not be able to tell the difference between P and K, but HDR, brightness and colors, that people can recognize from any distance. That seems to be what is driving that market.

2) Modern gaming monitors today use what is called adaptive sync, which sync's the refresh rate of the monitor with the frames coming from the video card. It makes for smooth gameplay. When the framerate drops, the refresh drops. When the frame rate rises, the refresh matches it, and that prevent all sorts of ugly screen issues. Today's video cards have enough problems trying to put out 6o fps at 4K. Gamers like framerates and refresh rates upwards of 120 (which is measured in HZ's), and current cards just can't produce 120 hz at 4k. For the most part 8K is a PT Barnum wet dream for business, and a worthless, confusing nightmare for consumers.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I just got a 50" 4k 2 months ago (and I ❤️ it). Now you're telling me it's already an antique? WTH?!?
Bad news. Sony already has a 16K monitor in their laboratory.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The problem is the human eye is a finite machine. That makes the problem twofold.

1) In order to tell the difference between 4K and 8K you need to half your viewing distance. That's because as the pixels get smaller you are effectively further from the object on the screen. This was the same problem in telling the difference between 1080p and 4K. For the human eye to recognize 1080p from Std definition the viewer needed to be 5 feet from a 40 inch screen (6 ft from 48" screen, 7 ft from a 56" etc.) So, for 4K it's 2 feet from a 32" screen (3' from a 48" screen, 4' from a 64" screen etc.) This also applies to TV's of course. Which is why manufacturers nicely say you need to sit closer. They of course fail to tell you how close. Business is business, and they want to sell as many as possible. Manufacturers will willingly make and sell consumers as many 43" and 50" 4k TV's as they can make. Along with Adam Smith one of the great gods of modern economy is PT Barnum who understood people don't by product they buy the pitch. People are suckers and uninformed ones at that. Long way finally short, for a human to tell the difference between a 4K monitor and an 8K monitor one would need to sit 16" from the screen. Not very practical. For gamers, who are driving the 4K monitor market, 2' from a screen with 120 hz and HDR is just about right. Nvidia is releasing their new cards next month or so and two of those should get us gamers all the 4K, 12o hz, HDR goodies we want. Now for consumers and TV's, they may not be able to tell the difference between P and K, but HDR, brightness and colors, that people can recognize from any distance. That seems to be what is driving that market.

2) Modern gaming monitors today use what is called adaptive sync, which sync's the refresh rate of the monitor with the frames coming from the video card. It makes for smooth gameplay. When the framerate drops, the refresh drops. When the frame rate rises, the refresh matches it, and that prevent all sorts of ugly screen issues. Today's video cards have enough problems trying to put out 6o fps at 4K. Gamers like framerates and refresh rates upwards of 120 (which is measured in HZ's), and current cards just can't produce 120 hz at 4k. For the most part 8K is a PT Barnum wet dream for business, and a worthless, confusing nightmare for consumers.

Jordy, your narrative suggests that you are well versed on computer monitors and TV's. Your reference of 8k to PT Barnum was amusing. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Bad news. Sony already has a 16K monitor in their laboratory.

OMG!?! This is just another example of Sony and its peers trying to keep their hands in our pockets, knowing that many of us are obsessed with having the very latest technology at our finger tips. :mad: Case in point, Every time Apple releases a newer or updated version of their iPhone, on the morning the new phones go on sale, lines are formed around the corner by "loyal" customers that simply MUST have the latest phones THAT day!!!
Some call it loyalty, others something else. :confused:

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say antique, but 4 and 5K monitors have been around for years, and last year the first of the 8Ks were released, but you’d likely need to upgrade your video card to run it at full resolution and refresh rate. Not all applications play nice with such a high resolution as text can be microscopically small, so that and the high cost are reasons not to upgrade just yet. But look at the total number of pixels: HD is 2.2 million pixels, Ultra HD (4K) 8 million, 5K 14.7 million, Ultra HD 2 (8K) 33 million, so you can gauge how much the resolution improves as you increase Ks.

does 8K improve non 8K programming? Is there a lot of 8K programming on tv at this time?

JordyG

Reaction Score
1) Not one bit

2) Not one bit

The only thing 8K will improve are the pockets of Sony, Samsung, LG (who is the biggest cutter of glass for TV's in the world), Vizio and etc. Also just think of the massive streaming bill (with 4x the amount of information) that companies like Netflix would charge you for one 8K movie. Think somewhere along the lines of your yearly income. I don't want to get too political, but with the current climate in Washington the days of unlimited internet and phone services will soon come to an end.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Horston, Jones, Boston, Amihre, and Griffin signed up. Class of death! For everyone else that is....
Break up the virtual Huskies!

Reaction Score
I'd like a vintage Airstream so I can spend my retirement years restoring it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Might be a few decades for broadcast to adopt it.
Again, a technology no one is calling for, that has no real benefit, and would really just be scam for people to buy another Star Wars compilation. Unless of course the average person is willing to sit 6" from a 32" screen that would probably cost you a years salary.

Reaction Score
I would like 17 to 25 feet of snow up in the mountains so that in the Spring the Aquifers under my property will reload.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom