I truly believe Calhoun and Boheim will be gone before playing in the ACC | The Boneyard

I truly believe Calhoun and Boheim will be gone before playing in the ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
if Uconn actually gets in, I would bet both coaches retire before setting foot in the ACC. I think both have too much allegiance to the Big East and the fact that they were so close to the commissioner who died over the weekend. It certainly will be interesting

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think they will play a year or two to prove that their schools can play there

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn into the ACC is not a done deal. But if things play out in UConn's favor I would disagree with your premise.

Neither coach likes the move, but both are pragmatic and both are dedicated to their respective universities. I'm sure the taste will be a little more bitter for Boheim than JC because Cuse started the ball rolling for the BE demise. But that demise was destined to happen sooner or later and he and all the BE coaches had this in their mind.

The only way they don't play in the ACC is because they were planning on retiring prior to the switch because of age. Let's hope UConn gets into the ACC and kicks some ACC butt.

Reaction Score
UConn into the ACC is not a done deal. But if things play out in UConn's favor I would disagree with your premise.

Neither coach likes the move, but both are pragmatic and both are dedicated to their respective universities. I'm sure the taste will be a little more bitter for Boheim than JC because Cuse started the ball rolling for the BE demise. But that demise was destined to happen sooner or later and he and all the BE coaches had this in their mind.

The only way they don't play in the ACC is because they were planning on retiring prior to the switch because of age. Let's hope UConn gets into the ACC and kicks some ACC butt.

Boheim said last March that he could see the end of his career, theres no way that the BE lets Cuse and Pitt leave pryor to the 27 wait period meaning that both teams would be eligible to play in the 2014-2015 season. Which is 2-3 years away. Calhoun is 69 and Boheim is 66, u dont think its plausible at all that both see this as a great "ride of into the sunset" scenario and leave before their teams set foot in the ACC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Boheim said last March that he could see the end of his career, theres no way that the BE lets Cuse and Pitt leave pryor to the 27 wait period meaning that both teams would be eligible to play in the 2014-2015 season. Which is 2-3 years away. Calhoun is 69 and Boheim is 66, u dont think its plausible at all that both see this as a great "ride of into the sunset" scenario and leave before their teams set foot in the ACC.
The age factor does concern me. It concerned me before the moves by Pitt and Cuse. I don't know much about JB, but JC strikes me as a guy who would have retired in a couple of years but a move to the ACC would offer him just the right type of challenge to stay an extra season or two. His health would be the reason for retirement, not the switch to a new conference.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
"'I'd face any challenge. Anywhere,' Calhoun said. 'Line 'em up and let's play them. I'd be excited by it.'"

Doesn't sound like a guy who isn't into coaching against the ACC.

Reaction Score
I dont think you guys fully understand of what would happen if we moved to the ACC, the ACC would probably be divided into a North and South, the northern version would be weaker than the Big East. We would play Pitt and Cuse but then a bunch of crap schools with the opportunity to play UNC and Duke maybe once each, each season. The ACC is a joke outside UNC and Duke. The Big East is a lot more challenging than the ACC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We would play Cuse, Pitt, Maryland twice every year. VT, Rutgers and Virginia would be no different than USF, DePaul or Seton Hall.

However, if I could change the clock back, I would stop Cuse, Pitt and whoever else wanted to bolt from the BE. I love(d) the BE and still have a gut punch from the changes that are taking place. But the sooner I reconcile things are forever changed the quicker I'm moving on with my life.

Reaction Score
We would play Cuse, Pitt, Maryland twice every year. VT, Rutgers and Virginia would be no different than USF, DePaul or Seton Hall.

However, if I could change the clock back, I would stop Cuse, Pitt and whoever else wanted to bolt from the BE. I love(d) the BE and still have a gut punch from the changes that are taking place. But the sooner I reconcile things are forever changed the quicker I'm moving on with my life.

Yeah Cuse and Pitt are good, but we dont really have rivalries with MD, VT, VA or whoever else may be deemed in the North. Its not St.Johns, Nova, Marquette, Gtown, Providence, you get the idea. It just blows. I really hope we can grab Kansas and maybe a couple of decent football schools and remain in the BE.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure everyone understands that and also understands that the BEast would be just as weak with Pitt and Cuse gone and some scrubs added in.

Everything is conjecture at this point, including the BEast "demanding" that Pitt and Cuse fulfill their 27 months commitment. All I know for sure is that Calhoun (and Boeheim) are ultra-competitive and would never let a stupid move to another conference alter their career choices.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the fact that recruiting will only get better in the ACC and those BE teams will go down the tubes. There will be a shift on that alone. Players will want to play in a conference versus a school in a dying league.

Reaction Score
I dont think you guys fully understand of what would happen if we moved to the ACC, the ACC would probably be divided into a North and South, the northern version would be weaker than the Big East. We would play Pitt and Cuse but then a bunch of crap schools with the opportunity to play UNC and Duke maybe once each, each season. The ACC is a joke outside UNC and Duke. The Big East is a lot more challenging than the ACC.
If they go to home and homes in the division that is only 14 games. I imagine they would go to 18 games so there would be 4 crossover games every year.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I donno.... how many more national titles do we have by then?

Reaction Score
I think that would be the perfect time for Calhoun and Boeheim to hang it up if they didnt already. That would really be a new beginning with a new coach and new conference.

Reaction Score
Also Calhoun would keep his word about never wanting to play BC as long as he's there

Reaction Score
27 months is the waiting period from announcing that you are leaving the BE conference and joining another conference. BE said last night they will enforce this. Since you cannot switch mid-season that takes you thru the 2013-14 basketball season for Syracuse. THREE more full years of Big East basketball. So I think the hypothesis that both Boeheim and Calhoun are retired is quite possible (>50%) and this further illustrates that theere's little to care about with all this noise for the foreseeable future..

Reaction Score
exactly who knows what the hell will happen in 3 years. Im gonna enjoy while we still can. Is there any way u can take back ur acceptance to another conference? Isnt TCU not officially totally committed to the big east?

Reaction Score
JB said he thinks this will be the last year syracuse plays in the big east. He argued that being a lame duck in the conference won't do anyone any good.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
JB said he thinks this will be the last year syracuse plays in the big east. He argued that being a lame duck in the conference won't do anyone any good.

Which is preposterous. Pitt and SU or ECU and Army, hmm, which does the Big East more good.

Reaction Score
The point about lame duck seasons not being good is that who wants a whiny loser hanging around that doesn't want to be there? Pitt and Cuse want to leave. They're just going to be annoying the longer they're made to wait.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that Calhoun and Boheim should go out when they chose to do so. Lets just take it one year at a time its confusing enough to hear about all these scenarios going on with each conference.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that Calhoun and Boheim should go out when they chose to do so. Lets just take it one year at a time its confusing enough to hear about all these scenarios going on with each conference.

I also truly believe that Calhoun and Boeheim would want to be there for at least the first season in ACC play.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Once evetything settles & everyone has their act together, the BE will decide agree to let the teams go early.

They/we will look weak if it dragged on for 3 years. This year and next is plenty - after that it will look/feel for the BE to keep teams around for spite.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I posted this somewhere earlier but I believe that this set of events added a few years to JC's career.

Reaction Score
27 months is the waiting period from announcing that you are leaving the BE conference and joining another conference. BE said last night they will enforce this. Since you cannot switch mid-season that takes you thru the 2013-14 basketball season for Syracuse. THREE more full years of Big East basketball. So I think the hypothesis that both Boeheim and Calhoun are retired is quite possible (>50%) and this further illustrates that theere's little to care about with all this noise for the foreseeable future..
Assuming the 27 months is enforced JC will not be around to coach in the ACC. Like a good politician Calhoun simply is responding and keeping on script. Basically promoting the move to the ACC and claiming he will be around as a coach at that time is the whole promotional aspect of the triumvirate. If UConn returns everyone from this years team (50% chance) for next year they will be preseason #1 and most likely win another championship. This year will be very exciting but next year would bring a final championship for JC. That would be a good time for him to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom