I thought the OLine looked good | The Boneyard

I thought the OLine looked good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It just goes to show you what a poor job of coaching by Deleone, and by PP to allow his buddy to be the O-line coach with his zone blocking shceme. The O-line was way better today and as a result so was the running game.

Reaction Score
I agree, though USF adjusted at the half and shut it down. I imagine Foley simplified things and USF adjusted. I would think Foley will continue to adjust and as the season goes on it will get better.

Unfortunately 4 out of the 5 are on the road. Tough to teach in a hostile atmosphere.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I still think they didn't do a great job protecting the QB. Much better run blocking but Boyle didn't have much time back there and was still under fire, similar to Whitmer under GDL.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The line was leaps and bounds better early on and overall did a better job.

Reaction Score
Almost as many rushing yards in one game than in first four combined and 2 sacks down from average of 5. Go Mike Foley

Reaction Score
The offensive line definitely looked good day. I also think the playcalling was much better. We finally utilized McCombs speed and quickness through draw plays, sweeps, counters instead of the PP/GDL pound him up the middle all game into the teeth of the defense strategy.

Reaction Score
I saw Boyle with a ton of time. Not sure why people saying the pass blocking wasn't good.

Reaction Score
I wish Steve Greene was more consistent, because when he is on . . . he is on. He can engulf defenders. But he had some defenders just get right by him.

Definitely saw some improvement, when players were asked to pull, I think they did alot better job. Still having trouble pass blocking one on one.

Reaction Score
Looked a lot better than they have so far this year. One thing I noticed...they were laying a hat on someone...not roaming around trying to figure out who they were supposed to block. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to improve.

Reaction Score
I wish Steve Greene was more consistent, because when he is on . . . he is on. He can engulf defenders. But he had some defenders just get right by him.

Definitely saw some improvement, when players were asked to pull, I think they did alot better job. Still having trouble pass blocking one on one.

It may be time to replace Gus Cruz, I'm sorry to say. I think the ship has sailed there.

Reaction Score
Loomed a lot better than theybhave this year. One thing I noticed...they were laying a hat on someone..lnot roaming around trying to figure out who they were supposed to block. It will be interesting to see if they an continue to improve.

It is all about talent level at this point, because I have the utmost confidence Coach Foley has them going where they are supposed to go.

Reaction Score
The OL was night and day. In fact, I can only conclude that GDL was completely and totally incompetent, and by extension, so was P. Had we had even a competent offense last season with the talent we had we would have won 8-9 games and not be in the mess we are in now.

We ran for more yardage yesterday than we did in the last 4 games COMBINED. Not coincidentally, when you can run the ball, you get more time to throw the ball, and I thought the pass protection was much, much better.

Reaction Score
It may be time to replace Gus Cruz, I'm sorry to say. I think the ship has sailed there.

He had a couple nice blocks when he pulled, but he got driven back on several plays. Do we have anyone on the depth chart that warrants playing time? Meaning, is anyone physically ready to be thrown in there? Because if so, let's start rotating them.

Reaction Score
He had a couple nice blocks when he pulled, but he got driven back on several plays. Do we have anyone on the depth chart that warrants playing time? Meaning, is anyone physically ready to be thrown in there? Because if so, let's start rotating them.

I saw him miss assignments. Maybe I'm being unfair because it's his first game under Foley.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What Foley accomplished in a bit less than two weeks is nothing short of remarkable. Offensive line play requires a lot of coordination between moving parts (the linemen) even in the most simplistic schemes. Most quality lines take years together to reach the point where there are no blown assignments. We had fewer in an entire game yesterday than what was the norm for a quarter during the prior sixteen. There will be stray blown assignments over the remainder of the season, I do however doubt that we will see four or five assignments blown by our linemen during one play. That alone is an enormous improvement.

There is quite a bit more work to do and I personally am more concerned with what will be required in the weight room by kids who will be expected to start at the two tackle positions next year than anything else. My gut tells me that we will no longer have Foley around after this year but he still can help the future of the program during the remainder of this season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To be fair, USF makes everybody's OL look good.

They didn't make Cincy's OL look as good as Illinois or Purdue did.

To be even more fair, there is no way USF's front seven is considerably worse than Towson's.

Reaction Score
We had problems on sure passing downs. The sacks cam on third and long, so they were respecting the run game a little. The run game improved let's face it.

The passing game stunk today. Boyle threw some nice stuff which were dropped; he missed some short stuff where he had guys wide open. Seemed not to have touch while on the run. The kid had good pocket presence no INT's. Let's move on from here. The O-line whiffed and we had guys wide open on double moves. On to next week.

Reaction Score
All of the "Cupboard is bare" talk P and the media have been spewing the past two years took a severe body blow on Saturday. McCombs and Delorenzo are both Edsall recruits and they looked like quality runners and our line (all Edsall recruits except for Mateas) looked significantly better.

J Silver, Dez and the rest of the empty cupboard crew should issue a revised cupboard assessment.

Oh and Nebrich threw for 400 yards again and Tebucky Jones had 12 catches. Chalk one up for the Cupboard in exile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom