I thought AO and AD looked good on the floor at the same time. | The Boneyard

I thought AO and AD looked good on the floor at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watched part of the Harvard game over last night and when we played both AO and AD Harvard had one drive to the basket and were forced to jack up jump shots.

Mix in some TO and RS or DD and that might be the ticket.

I am hoping this is a glimpse of the team in Feb and March. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Totally agree. It's seems to not happen much but having them both in really make the post difficult. Hoping to me more of the AO/D combo more.

Reaction Score
The three guard lineup will be used 25-35 mins a game with the bigs rotated in and around. DD, NG, and RS sprinkled at the three to handle teams with a legit SF. AD and AO should be able to play together for 25+ mins a night, but TO has to be in the equation somewhere and not just for foul trouble coverage. With this scenario it leaves about 50-60 mins for the bench which shouldn't be, but most likely will be frowned upon due to the ability of the players occupying that space. Depth is not this team's issue, satisfaction is.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but after watching the team so far this year they seem to play better with AO on the floor than AD. Now let me say that AD is clearly the better athlete and has the brighter future, but as far as team play, they seem to be more effective with AO. I think this is because AD is still trying to determine his role and what type of player he is, while AO knows his game. Granted AO doesn't put up great numbers but the team plays well when he's in there. Maybe this will change later in the season but this is how it currently looks. We have plenty of scorers so we pretty much need a strong rebounding and shot blocking presence and a kick out passer rather than scoring from the post position. Some on the board have knocked Drummond as only a dunker but this is the only offense I honestly want to see from him. I agree that playing both together is effective against some teams.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
On paper, they should start every game at the 5 and 4 respectively. Once AO plays like we know he can, our front will be unstoppable

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but after watching the team so far this year they seem to play better with AO on the floor than AD. Now let me say that AD is clearly the better athlete and has the brighter future, but as far as team play, they seem to be more effective with AO. I think this is because AD is still trying to determine his role and what type of player he is, while AO knows his game. Granted AO doesn't put up great numbers but the team plays well when he's in there. Maybe this will change later in the season but this is how it currently looks. We have plenty of scorers so we pretty much need a strong rebounding and shot blocking presence and a kick out passer rather than scoring from the post position. Some on the board have knocked Drummond as only a dunker but this is the only offense I honestly want to see from him. I agree that playing both together is effective against some teams.

AD just needs to learn to set picks.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There isn't one perfect lineup. What makes JC such a great coach is his ability to adjust in game. We're going to play teams that are going to attack us in a number of ways. Depending on their strengths and weaknesses, our three big men will each be successful in different situations. When the offense stalls for a bit, TO should get in the game, with his mid-range shot and passing ability. If a big bruiser is playing the 4 and having some success, AO should be in to throw his muscle around.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good point Scot. This was the first game I thought AO and AD played well together. Prior to this game they were an awkward combination. I hope we see more of this development.

This is certainly a different year from last season. JC has a lot of options and the only players I expect getting 30 or more minutes a game barring foul trouble will be Jeremy and Shabazz.

Reaction Score
What I like about this team is with the limited roster, it's a lot harder than usual to go wrong lineup-wise...regardless of who's out there.

Figuring at least 2 of the Shabazz/Boat/Lamb trio are usually playing, we're always going to have one or two guards that can generate instant offense. With one of AD/AO almost always on the court, we'll have a big guy that can stop/threaten drives to the rim and be a legitimate size threat on the glass.

With RS/DD/and a resurgent TO we get more variety but it's still an effective variety regardless. RS can be a big glue guy with boards and speed in the paint, DD can run along the wing and knock down jumpers, and TO can bust a zone, pass, and hit the midrange shot.

Having consistency at the smallest and largest positions is really going to help our SF's in my opinion. Giffey also fits in more because he can play more of his style with the skill surrounding him. No knock on last year's team obviously, but with DBev in the mix at guard and all the freshmen, we couldn't help but have some head-scratching lineups when Kemba was on the bench. I don't see JC being able to put out questionable lineups like that this year even if he tried.

Reaction Score
Watched part of the Harvard game over last night and when we played both AO and AD Harvard had one drive to the basket and were forced to jack up jump shots.

Mix in some TO and RS or DD and that might be the ticket.

I am hoping this is a glimpse of the team in Feb and March. Thoughts?

I agree, they are certainly improving as a tandem. Alex seems to require the guards more than AD on offense. I felt early on that these two would be the best C/PF team in the country.

The only 'problem' is that Tyler keeps throwing a monkey wrench in these plans, taking away minutes Alex needs. His confidence is zooming and he will continue to be on the floor with his play. Its a good problem but Alex is seriously being challenged at this stage of the season, I don't think he's used to that.

RS and DD only need to find a role and execute it, worrying about nothing else. We have a top 5 frontcourt in the nation.

Reaction Score
AO also seems to have a little problem with his handle this year. Bazz does like to pass at 100 mph so that may be an adjustment that needs to be made by one player or the other.
I am interested to see how DD and RS are used as the season goes on. DD's minutes really will come if he is hitting the outside JS. RS just needs to play good D and not turn the ball over quite as much.

Reaction Score
slight disagreement about Bazz's passes. He has actually shown signs of having more touch to his passes. It is imperative that a point" know " to whom they are passing and I believe along with shooting better Bazz is passing more effectively. TO is a good problem to have. His game is so much improved over last year. Being able to pick and pop is immense. AO and AD will be there together in Feb. JC is like the mad scientist mixing and matching chemicals to see what works and what doesn't. Loving it.

Reaction Score
That lob pass was kinda "new" in the Harvard game and my money would be on AD getting to it vs just about anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom