I think we have just reached "Elite" status as a program | The Boneyard

I think we have just reached "Elite" status as a program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last night was amazing, there has been plenty of debate on where Uconn stands as far as elite, I think we are a top 5 program and certainly a destination school for any coach.

Reaction Score
Certainly elite in performance. I don't think its a destination job, at least until the conference alignments shakes out.

Reaction Score
During the girls' dancing Ollie and Allen sitting next to each other looked pretty good. I hope we'll be seeing that combo on the bench in the future.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We've been elite since 2002 I believe. And I do believe it's a destination job due to what Calhoun has created

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While I do love the enthusiasm, claiming "we have just reached elite status" based on first night is too funny.

Reaction Score
The conference situation is a little tricky, but Memphis gets great recruits and they have no competition in their conference. Clearly the big east still has good basketball competition. The key is building the basketball practice facility. The only thing that could ruin the program is if there are four 16 team conferences created that have their own basketball tournament and UConn isn't in one of the conferences. I think Bilas talked about this scenario. A potential tournament with the superconferences would have revenue sharing divided among way less schools. However, the chance that the super conferences are created without UConn AND a new tournament is created like the one bilas suggested is slim to none. I think we will be elite for a long time with Calhoun/Ollie/ possibly allen at the helm in the future.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
It only takes one high-major coach to make the jump to Storrs for it to be considered a destination job...personally I'd like to see Butler's coach succeed JC.

Reaction Score
Depends on what your definition of elite is. As far as winning a lot of games and championships, we've been elite for sometime. Add to that the fact we're getting some highly ranked recruits. Not stockpiling them like UNC and UK, but few programs achieve that. Though the AD, DD and Boatshow class is pretty impressive even though it was built late.

I think some people confuse elite with storied. We're approaching storied considering the success over the past 21 years, but until we get to see JC's successor continue this type of success, the storied label has not been slapped on this program.

IMO, once the majority of the fans and media, and many of the recruits talk of UConn as an elite program then I'd slap on that storied label. We're getting close IMO. Give it another 5 to 10 years. As far as elite, NO DOUBT!

Reaction Score
While I do love the enthusiasm, claiming "we have just reached elite status" based on first night is too funny.
I think the poster was using first night as a time to reflect on the accomplishments of the past (National Championships ect ect...) and the enthusiasm of bringing in a new season. The place was packed for a reason. I don't think he was calling the program "elite" based on 1 night. The turnout simply reflected enthusiasm brought on by past success. Just my opinion of course. Have a great day!

Reaction Score
We are now set up in the best conference, population-wise. Time to win more championships.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the poster was using first night as a time to reflect on the accomplishments of the past (National Championships ect ect...) and the enthusiasm of bringing in a new season. The place was packed for a reason. I don't think he was calling the program "elite" based on 1 night. The turnout simply reflected enthusiasm brought on by past success. Just my opinion of course. Have a great day!

Ha ha. No, I know BLUEDOG. I was just poking fun because the title of the post along with the first sentence could be read that way, as if the poster got home all fired up from first night and was like, "yep, we are elite!". It was meant in a lighthearted fashion.

Reaction Score
Ha ha. No, I know BLUEDOG. I was just poking fun because the title of the post along with the first sentence could be read that way, as if the poster got home all fired up from first night and was like, "yep, we are elite!". It was meant in a lighthearted fashion.
LOL man this year is going to be a blast though. I admit I am a bit over hyped! hahahahahahaha LOL

Reaction Score
Elite is as program is going to mean winning without Calhoun - right now, JC is an elite HOF coach, but the program has to show that the beat will go on without him. The chances are good that happens with the brand so strong in college hoops. But a couple bad coaches in a row or god forbid, some type of extended probation and it can all go down the $hitter fast. It's an interesting time in Uconn history with the BE blowing up and a transition to a new coach around the corner. Herbst better put on her thinking shoes because this university has built itself too high to let the current situation position it vulnerable in the next ten years or so.

Reaction Score
Elite is as program is going to mean winning without Calhoun - right now, JC is an elite HOF coach, but the program has to show that the beat will go on without him. The chances are good that happens with the brand so strong in college hoops. But a couple bad coaches in a row or god forbid, some type of extended probation and it can all go down the $hitter fast. It's an interesting time in Uconn history with the BE blowing up and a transition to a new coach around the corner. Herbst better put on her thinking shoes because this university has built itself too high to let the current situation position it vulnerable in the next ten years or so.

Good point, this is the Calhoun era and his HOF award crowned his accomplishments (hopefully more to come). We are a top national program but its only due to one person (and his fine staff).

Somehow if we remain competitive, making noise in the dance then the Elite will stick. Are similar schools like AZ, Indiana, UCLA still elite? If so then we have certainly arrived (with or without JC).

Reaction Score

Yeah, last night was more of a confirmation of our status and not a deteminant. Thanks BLUEDOG for accurately pointing that out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It only takes one high-major coach to make the jump to Storrs for it to be considered a destination job...personally I'd like to see Butler's coach succeed JC.

We can do better.

Reaction Score
In order to keep the momentum going after JC leaves I would LOVE to have the basketball only practice and training facility in place. On its own it doesn't mean much but add that to our history and dominance and it is one step closer to ensuring that we maintain the level that we are at.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I'd take any of those three any day. But I think it's clear Ollie is clearly going to get the first pass.

I agree, but the worst thing UConn could do is hire a coach that isn't necessarily qualified (not to say Ollie won't be when the time comes) and take a step back after JC has peaked our program to "elite status".

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree, but the worst thing UConn could do is hire a coach that isn't necessarily qualified (not to say Ollie won't be when the time comes) and take a step back after JC has peaked our program to "elite status".
I would think that would be one of the worse things. Equal to this would be a great coach who would leave after a few years. I like the JCs, JBs and Bradleys because they are institution people.

Reaction Score
Our future head coach can say he won a national championship now. Would be nice if can say he won two.

Reaction Score
uconn has been an elite program since 99` when we cut the nets down not since AD danced his way out at first night. i used to be scared of the post calhoun era but now im excited for it as i truly believe we will continue to have success with kevin ollie at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom