I think we are on the upswing. | The Boneyard

I think we are on the upswing.

Reaction Score
I don't know what happened last year. I don't know why half the team walked. But they did. And it was bad.

We started this year looking like we had figured some things out. Gilbert got hurt. That hurt us. They can give the kid a bionic arm, doesn't matter, we cannot ever count on him again. If he plays five more games it's gravy. Every drive to the basket is a potential season ending play.

Yep, the NCAA screwed us on Wilson, they screw us on everything. Larrier has headaches, Cobb is AWOL, we lead the world in unforced turnovers and Memphis just destroyed us.

I just get the feeling Memphis was the bottom. Adams tired to do too much. Vital was handed an opportunity and just plain failed. Anderson, who should be much better, has contributed nothing for weeks. Even when he makes a shot, the shot clock expires.

But even with the lack of depth, and wild inconsistency. This team was starting to look like it was taking steps forward. Carlton is looking like a talented young man. Whalley and Diarra look like valuable pieces. They seem to understand the offense even if they can't execute it. That's a step up from last year. We play a pretty good zone.

If Ollie can keep this team above .500. If he can avoid a losing record (that is certainly not guaranteed), I would like to see him return. He deserves the chance to show he can overcome adversity. He has faced a lot. It's how we grow. I think he and we will.

I look forward to the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
I don't know what happened last year. I don't know why half the team walked. But they did. And it was bad.

We started this year looking like we had figured some things out. Gilbert got hurt. That hurt us. They can give the kid a bionic arm, doesn't matter, we cannot ever count on him again. If he plays five more games it's gravy. Every drive to the basket is a potential season ending play.

Yep, the NCAA screwed us on Wilson, they screw us on everything. Larrier has headaches, Cobb is AWOL, we lead the world in unforced turnovers and Memphis just destroyed us.

I just get the feeling Memphis was the bottom. Adams tired to do too much. Vital was handed an opportunity and just plain failed. Anderson, who should be much better, has contributed nothing for weeks. Even when he makes a shot, the shot clock expires.

But even with the lack of depth, and wild inconsistency. This team was starting to look like it was taking steps forward. Carlton is looking like a talented young man. Whalley and Diarra look like valuable pieces. They seem to understand the offense even if they can't execute it. That's a step up from last year. We play a pretty good zone.

If Ollie can keep this team above .500. If he can avoid a losing record (that is certainly not guaranteed), I would like to see him return. He deserves the chance to show he can overcome adversity. He has faced a lot. It's how we grow. I think he and we will.

I would tell Anderson you have no other offensive job but to give JA 10 minutes a game off the ball. That’s a huge contribution.
There is no other pressure on you than that and play your butt off on D
and be an example to the younger guys. Let the offense come to you

Reaction Score

Diarra had 0 points and 1 rebound in 3 minutes in a blow out game he could have gotten more PT, not sure how u define valuable

Reaction Score

Thing is they fight too.

Reaction Score

You can keep rationalizing and giving excuses for a long time until the program is substantially harmed and it's too late.

I'm willing to see this season to its conclusion and then make a rational decision on what to do for the future. But what I've seen the last few years is not good. And I don't know what you've seen to come up with the conclusion that "things are looking up." They have at least 14 games left so we'll see if you are right.

Reaction Score
Well, that is quite positive, never thought it was possible to be THAT positive considering the circumstances.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Diarra had 0 points and 1 rebound in 3 minutes in a blow out game he could have gotten more PT, not sure how u define valuable

Anyone know why Diarra is not playing more. He is an energizer bunny, he rebounds w/ authority, he tries to dunk everything w/in reason. I know he's still learning defensive concepts and fouls way too much. I get that, but I believe he is a weapon. He's a guy who transfers and becomes a double-double guy down the road.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Pal I kind of agree with you amazingly.

Couple things

re Anderson. He's actually a valuable piece to this team but he is so out of sorts right now I wonder if he can actually break through. He is so snake bitten you can actually see that it has entered his head and that's a bad thing. He is becoming the Steve Sax of College hoops.

I say that, because Anderson is actually a decent relief ball handler, he seems to know what KO wants out of offense, he can get to spots and make a proper read. He plays very hard and he plays mostly decent defense. He is so on tilt right now that I see times where he actually can make it to the hoop or in the lane and make things happen but he is so terrified of a bad result that he circles back out at times where he has already beaten his man! Scared hoops is terrible. Cant play scared even in a slump and he is playing scared offensively right now. That 4-1 Lob last night was the final nail in the coffin of a "head problem" diagnosis. He is thinking way too much out there. And with all those flaws he still is more of a net positive than Vital.

The bigs are getting much better, very quickly. Having cobb out of rotation was certainly addition by subtraction that cant even be disputed after the last 4 games.

Reaction Score

OK, you took a lot of medication. Lie down, close your eyes and in about 5 or 6 hours it will work it’s way through and you’ll be OK.

Reaction Score

I think the saying "make changes not excuses" applies here doesnt it?

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Thank God you think we're on the up. It'll change things for sure.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I should know better than to engage with these kinds of OPs, but...the roster as currently constructed is nowhere near the glory days of old, as all here understand. However, the combination of players we have should be able to be competitive in this conference. Game-planning and (to a lesser extent) skill development have a lot to do with why we are not.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I should know better than to engage with these kinds of OPs, but...the roster as currently constructed is nowhere near the glory days of old, as all here understand. However, the combination of players we have should be able to be competitive in this conference. Game-planning and (to a lesser extent) skill development have a lot to do with why we are not.
Amore made an interesting point in this regard:
Talent Rules
Memphis was decimated by transfers at the end of last season, too, but Smith managed to put together, by the looks of this game, a much more talented team from the transfer market and get it to play cohesively. Michael Parks Jr., one of Memphis’ five JUCO transfers, became the latest to have a career game against UConn, with 21 points and 11 rebounds. UConn’s grad and JUCO transfers haven’t had nearly so much impact in any game. The Tigers moved it around like they’ve played together forever and have now won four in a row.
Back To The Bottom: Takeaways From The UConn Men's Basketball Loss At Memphis

Reaction Score
I posted something similar in another thread. I'll put it here also.

So I was thinking about this last night. Memphis also had a disastrous off season. They had to fill a lot of spots at the last minute like UConn has. Their roster is not very talented. Certainly not more talented than UConn's, in my opinion. Because of this they were picked to finish 9th in the AAC coaches preaseason poll. UConn was picked to finish 5th (granted nobody knew Gilbert would get hurt again).

Memphis is no juggernaut and yet they seem to compete much harder and play more like a basketball team than UConn typically does. They are now 13-6 overall and 4-2 in the conference. In their first AAC game of the season they got crushed at Cincinnati by 34 points. But other than that they seem to be competitive.

So why is it that UConn looked so lost last night against a team that doesn't have more talent? Did they miss Larrier that much or did they just not compete?

Reaction Score
I posted something similar in another thread. I'll put it here also.

So I was thinking about this last night. Memphis also had a disastrous off season. They had to fill a lot of spots at the last minute like UConn has. Their roster is not very talented. Certainly not more talented than UConn's, in my opinion. Because of this they were picked to finish 9th in the AAC coaches preaseason poll. UConn was picked to finish 5th (granted nobody knew Gilbert would get hurt again).

Memphis is no juggernaut and yet they seem to compete much harder and play more like a basketball team than UConn typically does. They are now 13-6 overall and 4-2 in the conference. In their first AAC game of the season they got crushed at Cincinnati by 34 points. But other than that they seem to be competitive.

So why is it that UConn looked so lost last night against a team that doesn't have more talent? Did they miss Larrier that much or did they just not compete?
Coaching matters.

Reaction Score
Necessarily missed game as I had to get up at 4am. wtf happened? 25 pts? Back to the same-ol-same-ol?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Necessarily missed game as I had to get up at 4am. wtf happened? 25 pts? Back to the same-ol-same-ol?

Yeah, basically. Only worse. It really was more of a 30 point game. Larrier was out and Vital was horrible.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

• Larrier had some headache thing and couldn't go.
  • Anderson, Vital, and Jalen started and played together much of the time.
  • Resulting in the expected clusterf@#$k.
  • They had a box and 1 on Jalen, so he was bottled up. If he tried to drive, it was against 4 guys.
  • Vital was there to save the day, but unfortunately most of his shots completely missed the rim.
  • We had one of the most memorable 4 on 1 plays in UCONN history.
  • Unsurprisingly, One of their kids went for a career night.
  • Overall, it looked like a very poor representation of pickup basketball.
Verdict 0/10 do not watch

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom