I think Nikki McCray is gonna be our coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I think Nikki McCray is gonna be our coach

Reaction Score
Since when has Texas "poached" Miss St/Vic Schaefer? IMO all Vic had to say was what Jeff has been saying all along..."I was never going anywhere". If I'm not mistaken, reading all the threads State fans knew all along Vic would hightail to Texas first chance that arose...the money, the plane and them Texas size steaks expedited his exodus.

Reaction Score
If I may ask, why do you seem a tad distraught about this fact? It’s a fact of life to seek more money, more esteem and better competition. EVERYONE does this so what am I missing?
You raise an interesting question especially as we all are struggling more urgently now with the unanswerable life/death question.

I get that many a coach would often be lured by money, esteem or competition. But everyone? And for their whole life??

I hope not.

Reaction Score
Miss State you pass the SEC test:

Your new coach is: 1) from SEC and "knows the landscape" 2) has coached in the SEC 3) either played or coached for the pre-eminent SEC coach in Summitt (and present day Staley) and 4) extra credit, coached for a primary rival

That's a full on SEC A+.

I think this is a pretty good hire. I like McCray and think she will do a good job. Pretty good chance she holds your current talent together too, so that's good all around.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I saw on Old Dominion’s website that she brought in an associate head coach who was previously a head coach. I do like that and hopes she either brings him or someone similar. The good cop to the head coach’s bad cop seems to be fairly typical. However the issue I see is if you have to then to change roles with the same team.
You think there is any chance Coach Harris will stay?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You think there is any chance Coach Harris will stay?

FWIW, Carolyn Peck tweeted a congratulation note to Texas about Vic Schaefer and included Harris in the note.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Since when has Texas "poached" Miss St/Vic Schaefer? IMO all Vic had to say was what Jeff has been saying all along..."I was never going anywhere". If I'm not mistaken, reading all the threads State fans knew all along Vic would hightail to Texas first chance that arose...the money, the plane and them Texas size steaks expedited his exodus.
Ha ha, I like the avatar!

Reaction Score
Now they’re reporting it is not a done deal yet because Mississippi State is trying to add an SEC non compete and McCray isn’t having it.

Reaction Score
Now they’re reporting it is not a done deal yet because Mississippi State is trying to add an SEC non compete and McCray isn’t having it.

Oh, Miss State. Come on now.

Reaction Score
I swear...if John Cohen messes this up! He's had a pretty bad few weeks and the confidence in him as AD gets degraded each week. Just up the buyout. Telling her she can't go to Tennessee is stupid. Cohen left Kentucky to come back to coach Mississippi State (baseball). If the Tenn. job comes open and Nikki can't take it, we're gonna have a very disgruntled coach who doesn't want to be in Starkville anymore.

Reaction Score
I swear...if John Cohen messes this up! He's had a pretty bad few weeks and the confidence in him as AD gets degraded each week. Just up the buyout. Telling her she can't go to Tennessee is stupid. Cohen left Kentucky to come back to coach Mississippi State (baseball). If the Tenn. job comes open and Nikki can't take it, we're gonna have a very disgruntled coach who doesn't want to be in Starkville anymore.

First contract is only 4 years. That is the max the state allows for contracts. They routinely get reworked annually to keep coaches max term. If she is balking on the first contract about wanting to be able to leave for Tenn in the first 3 years, I can totally understand why they are still negotiating.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
McCray is not in such high demand that she needs to be squabbling over such contract details; maybe she's opening eyes that she's not in it for the long haul. It's not like anyone else is offering her 3 times her salary right now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
McCray is not in such high demand that she needs to be squabbling over such contract details; maybe she's opening eyes that she's not in it for the long haul. It's not like anyone else is offering her 3 times her salary right now.
Nikki McCray will get snatched up by a power 5 program sooner rather than later. I actually think it's MSU that's not in a position to be demanding such a restrictive provision.

Are these types of non compete clauses common in coaching contracts?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Nikki McCray will get snatched up by a power 5 program sooner rather than later. I actually think it's MSU that's not in a position to be demanding such a restrictive provision.

Are these types of non compete clauses common in coaching contracts?
I mean, I'm in IT, and I have had to sign non-competes many times.

In coaching, it's commonly a buyout.

For example, Texas Tech's men's hoops coach Chris Beard (who is a Texas grad and was a grad assistant coach to Rick Barnes back in the day), after a national runner-up finish in 2019, received a salary raise and contract extension. His buyout was revised and provided an specifi higher cost if he left for another in-state schools (like Texas), or another Big 12 school (like Kansas). So, Tech has basically blocked his leaving for one of those schools unless they are willing to pay huge buyouts. But, if North Carolina comes calling, the buyout is not as high for them.

With Vic Schaefer, I fully expect Texas to have some sort of contract details specifically as it pertains to Texas A&M. Maybe double the buyout as other schools. We did just fork over $1.25 million to MSU; so, I doubt we'll be left holding the bag for Vic to ever walk away without a financial buyout signed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I mean, I'm in IT, and I have had to sign non-competes many times.

In coaching, it's commonly a buyout.

For example, Texas Tech's men's hoops coach Chris Beard (who is a Texas grad and was a grad assistant coach to Rick Barnes back in the day), after a national runner-up finish in 2019, received a salary raise and contract extension. His buyout was revised and provided an specifi higher cost if he left for another in-state schools (like Texas), or another Big 12 school (like Kansas). So, Tech has basically blocked his leaving for one of those schools unless they are willing to pay huge buyouts. But, if North Carolina comes calling, the buyout is not as high for them.

With Vic Schaefer, I fully expect Texas to have some sort of contract details specifically as it pertains to Texas A&M. Maybe double the buyout as other schools. We did just fork over $1.25 million to MSU; so, I doubt we'll be left holding the bag for Vic to ever walk away without a financial buyout signed.
Yes, I realize non-competes have become very common in other industries and particularly tech. Their enforceability does vary from state to state. (As a personal aside, I despise the notion of non-compete clauses because they're essentially a form of indentured servitude.)

I completely agree that if MSU wants protection against McCray leaving for an SEC school, they should pursue that through the buyout clause.

Reaction Score
Yes, I realize non-competes have become very common in other industries and particularly tech. Their enforceability does vary from state to state. (As a personal aside, I despise the notion of non-compete clauses because they're essentially a form of indentured servitude.)

I completely agree that if MSU wants protection against McCray leaving for an SEC school, they should pursue that through the buyout clause.
I see your point regarding the non compete clauses. As long as the parties are in equal negotiating positions I’m okay with them. However personally it would take a lot of guaranteed money for me to agree to one. You do make a good point that enforceability is key. I’m not even talking about in the legal sense. It all depends on a constantly evolving bargaining position of the respective parties.

Reaction Score

In the Northeast and many industrialized states non-compete agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. Basically the only way you can enforce them is pay the employee the same salary you were paying them for the length of time you don't want them to compete. Sometimes the only "enforcement" is the hiring company just doesn't want the fuss of threatened litigation, etc. (especially if they are much smaller than the employee's former company).

When I moved to Arizona (for a job) I found out AZ is a very business-friendly and worker-unfriendly state which totally enforces non-compete agreements. When I filled out my on-boarding paperwork from HR I managed to slip my non-compete form in the trash, and got away with it. If asked to sign one (and you can't get away with tossing it) your policy should be, "Pay me up front for the number of years you don't want me to compete if I leave."

BTW in most businesses one year is plenty of time for the ex-employee's skills & industry relationships to fade. The 5-year thing is way overkill in most cases.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As a former owner of a small business, I .realize the value of non-compete agreements. An entity needs its members to be familiar with information vital to being a successful concern and those member at the top of management are critical source required to know the inner working of the entity. The ability to protect an entity essential assets from a competitors is a key to that entities future. As for enforcement associated with the non-compete clause, there are normally constraints put forth on the protected asset, I.e. the buyout clause.

Reaction Score
I had to remove all non-compete clauses from my contracts in Silicon Valley about 1990.

Reaction Score
I had to remove all non-compete clauses from my contracts in Silicon Valley about 1990.
I had to agree to compensate the employee a certain percent of their salary in order to enforce the non-compete agreement. In the event the employee wanted to go to work for a competitor we had to be notified and consent to him going to work for the competitor and the employee or his new employer had to pay us the fee specified in the agreement. If we did not consent we had to pay him the agreed upon percentage. If the employee wanted to work for a non-competitor, one doing work not related to work we did, he was free to do so.

Reaction Score
Plebe. You've said you watched some ODU games this year. Some people on an ODU board I read complained about the lack of offensive production, but admitted that they were very sound defensively. What, in your opinion, did they look like overall?

Reaction Score
Now the question is who stays and if anyone decides to leave.... Closely keeping an eye on Rickea, Matharu and Carter.

Reaction Score
Now the question is who stays and if anyone decides to leave.... Closely keeping an eye on Rickea, Matharu and Carter.
Matharu posted McCray on her Instagram, so I’d guess she’s staying.

Seems like everyone but Jackson and Carter have announced they’re staying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom