I think its still too early to say we can't get an at large bid | The Boneyard

I think its still too early to say we can't get an at large bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most people are saying that we need to win the AAC tournament in order to get in the NCAA tournament, but I think its still too early to think an at large bid is out of reach.

We have 4 more games against top 50 RPI teams (Tulsa, SMUx2, Temple), and Florida is currently at 66 and if they beat UK I would assume that will either push them into top 50 or very close to it.

If we win out and FL does get into the top 50 that would give us a total of 7 wins against top 50 RPI teams. If we can win out the regular season and win two games in the AAC tournament (which would give us one more win against a top 50 team) I think we have a good shot of getting at large bid.

Yes of course it is still a huge challenge for the Huskies to win out the regular season, but I still think they have a good shot, and if they do win the rest of the regular season games, then winning the AAC tournament does not become our only hope for the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
The way this team has played so far, winning out is a pipe dream

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe this team will all of a sudden put it together and win out? A good shot? What have you seen that lead you to believe this? Sure, anything is possible. I suppose if they can win out and win a couple games in the AAC tourny, then they might have chance at a at large bid. This team has had losses to Yale and Houston, heck the ECU game was a disaster in the 1st half. This team hasn't shown me one inch of looking like a tourny team.

Reaction Score
Our RPI is 105, and the latest ESPN bubble watch doesn't even have us on there. ( http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch ). Our only quality wins are Dayton and Cincy, we have zero quality road wins (it's a stretch to call @Florida a quality win when they are 12-10, that RPI of 66 is deceiving), and we have a crippling loss at RPI 234 Houston. We still have 3 games against RPI killers (Tulane 171 x 2, ECU 245). It's AAC championship or bust, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Further nails in the coffin: Our record against the RPI top 150 (yes, 150) is 3-8, and our SOS is 91 (you can thank the AAC for that). Hell, ESPN bubble watch even refers to Dayton's loss to Uconn as the only "bad" loss on their schedule.

If we win out, our wins versus the RPI top 150 would still be only 9-8. Even if 7 of the 9 are top 50 wins, that's still only 9 top 150 wins. Not a chance.

Let's just hope we can sort out the offense and make a run in the AAC tourney. That's our ticket.

Reaction Score
Hell, ESPN bubble watch even refers to Dayton's loss to Uconn as the only "bad" loss on their schedule.
I think I am going to be sick....

Attachments

• comment_ujS8Cod19mydXSt5ZuojzbrTdPeKSrYV.gif
    comment_ujS8Cod19mydXSt5ZuojzbrTdPeKSrYV.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Reaction Score
Most people are saying that we need to win the AAC tournament in order to get in the NCAA tournament, but I think its still too early to think an at large bid is out of reach.

We have 4 more games against top 50 RPI teams (Tulsa, SMUx2, Temple), and Florida is currently at 66 and if they beat UK I would assume that will either push them into top 50 or very close to it.

If we win out and FL does get into the top 50 that would give us a total of 7 wins against top 50 RPI teams. If we can win out the regular season and win two games in the AAC tournament (which would give us one more win against a top 50 team) I think we have a good shot of getting at large bid.

Yes of course it is still a huge challenge for the Huskies to win out the regular season, but I still think they have a good shot, and if they do win the rest of the regular season games, then winning the AAC tournament does not become our only hope for the NCAA tournament.
Take a look at our schedule , we're at Tulane ,home to Tulsa , back to SMU, at Memphis , home to Tulane,at ECU, home to SMU
home to Memphis and at Temple.
I don't think last years team could have been undefeated in that stretch.
If we could manage two loses I for one would be ecstatic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guys if we make it fine, if we don't well at this point its to be expected. Why go crazy on this?

This team has dug a grave, the ladder was removed a couple of games ago. Now they just have their bare hands to crawl out of it. Every loss here on out is just putting dirt on the coffin and adds one more sentence to the eulogy.

Fishy is already dressed and just looking for his collar and bible.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's all about improving as much as we can for March 12th at this point. I don't think we have much of a shot at an at-large anymore, unless we win out until the AAC championship game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If Yale beats KY too that would help.

Sorry, I appreciate your optimism. It not any more impossible than, from this moment in 2011 or 2014, suggesting we could win the NC.

Reaction Score
If Yale beats KY too that would help.

Sorry, I appreciate your optimism. It not any more impossible than, from this moment in 2011 or 2014, suggesting we could win the NC.

2011 and 2014 we had a roster of two AAs and first/second round draft picks along with the best players in college basketball at their positions. All they needed was a little something to work with and they got much more.

Therefore I would argue that it is more impossible (if that makes sense) than those teams.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
2011 and 2014 we had a roster of two AAs and first/second round draft picks along with the best players in college basketball at their positions. All they needed was a little something to work with and they got much more.

Therefore I would argue that it is more impossible (if that makes sense) than those teams.

Except that one proposition was winning the NC and the other is making it to the NCAAs

Reaction Score
Who knows, anything is possible if they can their approach, change lineup, get Facey off the floor completely, use RP, T Sam and Omar differently, etc.

If we win all our games, except @SMU, we'd go into the AAC tournament at 20-10 with an RPI of 39 and an SOS of 57. That's potentially at large worthy...without any AAC games. (http://www.rpiforecast.com/cgi-bin/rpiwizard.cgi)

Probably still don't get in, but it's possible they sneak in.

Reaction Score
We'd probably have to go all the way to the AAC title game to get at large bid. May as well win the whole damn thing.

Reaction Score
If we win out in the regular season, I think we get in. But there is no reason to think that this team is capable of doing that.

Reaction Score
IF we win out :)eek:) we would still need to win a couple in the AAC tourney.

In other words we will need to win it at home, it's simple.

Reaction Score
Our RPI is over 100. Yale's is around 60. And Yale won't get in.

Reaction Score
IF we win out :)eek:) we would still need to win a couple in the AAC tourney.

In other words we will need to win it at home, it's simple.
While winning the AAC would put all questions to bed, if they ended the season 21-9 against the 57th best schedule, they'd end up with an RPI around 31, according to RPIforecast.com. I'd say that's definitely a tournament team.

But as @champs99and04 said, that's highly unlikely given what we've seen from this team so far.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Our RPI is over 100. Yale's is around 60. And Yale won't get in.

Yale's sos is 142/noncon 112, UConn's sos is 94/72 and like mentioned above will go down by end of the season Yale's won't. Winning out is a tall order especially the way this team has played literally no room for error if the sliver of hope is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom