(I think) Evina (will be) Squeezed Out | The Boneyard

(I think) Evina (will be) Squeezed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

PvP

Reaction Score
It is often said that often bad things happen to good people. Evina has been everything UConn has needed this year without any thought to her personal stats or prospects. It has been only about doing whatever the team required to win. Now looking ahead to next year, if she doesn't opt to go professional, all that unselfish effort will be rewarded by a drastic reduction in minutes assuming that Azzi is as good as advertised. If she is, Azzi will be Geno's starter next to Paige and Christyn. With Liv as a given, I have to believe that Geno will be deciding between Nika and Aaliyah depending of the opponent, with the one not starting most likely the first sub. After that there still remain many other options -- Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor, Mir, even Anna -- to share minutes. Evina should have gotten at least an honorable mention for the All-Big East Conference and/ or Tournament Team but again her contributions were so distributed that they were easy to ignore, except by Geno who has praised her repeatedly all season. I hope for her sake that she goes pro, even if her unselfish numbers don't result in a WNBA draft selection. She doesn't deserve what will happen to her next season if she returns.

Reaction Score
I note that you probably could start a thread with many names, not just Evina being "squeezed out" potentially because of next year's loaded roster. Having said that Evina certainly is facing that possibility, and how it potentially affects her professional career. The player scouts are looking at this year, is far different from two years ago.

At Tennessee she was a high volume scorer with mediocre efficiency, and piled up quite a few assists, but with a problematic number of turnovers. At Uconn she has turned into a lower volume but far more efficient player, in many ways a versatile great role player, picking up her defense, and being asked to rebound, sometimes being a 4 in Uconn's lineup even though she was a 1 at Tennessee.

Her reputation from a personal standpoint has completely erased any questions that might have emerged from Tennessee. As a leader, teammate, and "mom" to the freshmen she has held a high standard. Her knee is a difficult issue. It probably held her back this year. Next year it might be better, but her role could be reduced, so does that hurt or help her draft prospects? I don't know, hard to tell.

Reaction Score
If we win the Natty she should go pro and if we don't maybe she should come back another year are my thoughts.

Reaction Score
If I had to give her advice, I would say go to the W. Based on her injury and the weaker class this year, I think she will leave. If I’m wrong, Geno will keep her in the starting lineup with approximately the same minutes.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have always surmised that she will stay.
That her knee limits her value in the pros.
and that there is the smallest chance that a summer of rehab in Connecticut
will be the difference maker.

And although I hate the premise of the thread
I accept that it may be in someway accurate
But if she stays, and she is healthier...
good use will be made of her abilities.
i feel it in my bones.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My understanding is that Evina was committed to playing 2 years at UCONN. Obviously things can change, but I hope she comes back. IF she does, there is NO WAY she is "squeezed" out of the starting lineup. Azzi will come off the bench.

In fact, even if Evina does leave, it's doubtful Azzi starts. I would pencil in (with VERY heavy ink) Liya as the 5th starter.

It's been said many times on the board - the GOAT's at UCONN did not start out the gate (Dee, Maya), but others like Steph and Hartley DID start. Why? Because when Dee and Maya came on board, there were already 5 starters returning from the previous year. However when Bria and Steph were freshmen, there were gaping holes in the starting lineup that they needed to fill.

It's very unlikely, IMHO, that Geno would remove any of our current starting 5 to make room for Liya next season, never mind Azzi. Fudd will get plenty of PT. Just not as a starer.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It is often said that often bad things happen to good people. Evina has been everything UConn has needed this year without any thought to her personal stats or prospects. It has been only about doing whatever the team required to win. Now looking ahead to next year, if she doesn't opt to go professional, all that unselfish effort will be rewarded by a drastic reduction in minutes assuming that Azzi is as good as advertised. If she is, Azzi will be Geno's starter next to Paige and Christyn. With Liv as a given, I have to believe that Geno will be deciding between Nika and Aaliyah depending of the opponent, with the one not starting most likely the first sub. After that there still remain many other options -- Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor, Mir, even Anna -- to share minutes. Evina should have gotten at least an honorable mention for the All-Big East Conference and/ or Tournament Team but again her contributions were so distributed that they were easy to ignore, except by Geno who has praised her repeatedly all season. I hope for her sake that she goes pro, even if her unselfish numbers don't result in a WNBA draft selection. She doesn't deserve what will happen to her next season if she returns.
Not loving the title.

Reaction Score
If anybody gets 'squeezed out' out it will be CW. From everything I have heard Azzi will be a far superior shooter than CW. CW's primary function is to shoot and play defense. Evina brings a lot to the game that CW does not. It may be that GA splits 80 minutes between those 3 players so you don't have one player playing 38 minutes a game next year.

Anyway it is a good problem to have and I think all will be better because of it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Evina returns and is healthy, she starts. She's the senior leader and glue player. Yes, Azzi will get lots of playing time, but why mess with the starting lineup of Paige, Nika, Evina, Christyn, and Olivia?

That was a really unfair post!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I note that you probably could start a thread with many names, not just Evina being "squeezed out" potentially because of next year's loaded roster. Having said that Evina certainly is facing that possibility, and how it potentially affects her professional career. The player scouts are looking at this year, is far different from two years ago.

At Tennessee she was a high volume scorer with mediocre efficiency, and piled up quite a few assists, but with a problematic number of turnovers. At Uconn she has turned into a lower volume but far more efficient player, in many ways a versatile great role player, picking up her defense, and being asked to rebound, sometimes being a 4 in Uconn's lineup even though she was a 1 at Tennessee.

Her reputation from a personal standpoint has completely erased any questions that might have emerged from Tennessee. As a leader, teammate, and "mom" to the freshmen she has held a high standard. Her knee is a difficult issue. It probably held her back this year. Next year it might be better, but her role could be reduced, so does that hurt or help her draft prospects? I don't know, hard to tell.
Great post.
In the words of Stan Lee, "nuff said".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If anybody gets 'squeezed out' out it will be CW. From everything I have heard Azzi will be a far superior shooter than CW. CW's primary function is to shoot and play defense. Evina brings a lot to the game that CW does not. It may be that GA splits 80 minutes between those 3 players so you don't have one player playing 38 minutes a game next year.

Anyway it is a good problem to have and I think all will be better because of it.
I'm gonna keep this one, just to shove it in your face next year. This is getting really, really old.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that Evina was committed to playing 2 years at UCONN. Obviously things can change, but I hope she comes back. IF she does, there is NO WAY she is "squeezed" out of the starting lineup. Azzi will come off the bench.

In fact, even if Evina does leave, it's doubtful Azzi starts. I would pencil in (with VERY heavy ink) Liya as the 5th starter.

It's been said many times on the board - the GOAT's at UCONN did not start out the gate (Dee, Maya), but others like Steph and Hartley DID start. Why? Because when Dee and Maya came on board, there were already 5 starters returning from the previous year. However when Bria and Steph were freshmen, there were gaping holes in the starting lineup that they needed to fill.

It's very unlikely, IMHO, that Geno would remove any of our current starting 5 to make room for Liya next season, never mind Azzi. Fudd will get plenty of PT. Just not as a starer.
How many people said Paige wouldn’t start? My guess is Azzi starts.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

In what world are you right? If healthy there are 3 locks next year for certain, Liv, Paige and CW. Geno's coaching career has always been upper class experience with quality over rookies. He has explained it many times His experienced seniors will start next year as will his AA. Bet on it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I really dislike these speculation threads. Especially as we approach the big dance.

E and Geno will talk after the tourney is over or conversations about next year have already taken place. E has been the perfect player for us. As she has been referred to, she is the Swiss army knife. She is a coach on the floor. She fills many roles and does what is needed to get the win. I believe E has enjoy this season more than any other in her college career. Look at the BE trophy picture and tell me her smile is not one of pure joy.

She has earned the respect of the players and the staff. She will not get "squeezed out." Geno and company don't work that way. I hope she returns.

There will be a log jam of talent. Geno and company will sort it out. Just remember, players will earn their minutes in practice. Is Azzi going to get minutes? Sure. I remind you that Azzi is coming off major knee surgery. She may not be 100%.

A lot of posters think Nika is going to be the odd guard out. I doubt it. Nika is the energizer, the defensive pest and the thief! Her presence causes other pg's to change their patterns. She bring the edge that is needed. Anna comes back healthy and in shape she's getting her minutes. Aaliyah may not start but her presence will be felt in every game.

As to the other frosh, time will tell. But you forgot one - Amari. If she is as good as advertised, at 6' 5" she'll see plenty of court time.

HGN

Reaction Score
How many people said Paige wouldn’t start? My guess is Azzi starts.
My guess is the players in practice next year will sort it out as to who starts and who doesn't . It will not be sorted out here.

Let's just enjoy the fact that the Huskies have made it to the Big Dance in good position to win it all.....And as always , the trophy winner is determined on the court in play , and not determined by who is guessing will win.

Reaction Score
Just thought I would get this out of the way now. It seems to be a yearly thread topic. Okay, here it goes.
Does not make a difference who starts for UConn WBB during 2021-22. UConn's second team is good enough to be in the Top 10. Geno will play first and second teams like Hockey line shifts. 5 in, 5 out.
;) :p :D

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My guess is the players in practice next year will sort it out as to who starts and who doesn't . It will not be sorted out here.

Let's just enjoy the fact that the Huskies have made it to the Big Dance in good position to win it all.....And as always , the trophy winner is determined on the court in play , and not determined by who is guessing will win.
Unfortunately, the "sorting out here" will be the focus of (daily) threads all spring, summer, fall and throughout next season. Guaranteed. We are the BoneYard!!!

Reaction Score
Geno has been playing with 1 post and 4 guards for so long now that I can’t see Edwards starting along side Liv. Starting both Liv and Edwards leaves the team without a backup center, DeBerry is Liv 2.0 I’m not sure she will see many minutes next year. Westbrook is starting because she’s being used at the 4, which will probably help her game in the long run. Azzi will bring something the team doesn’t have right now and that’s a player who should be able to consistently get 3-4 threes a game, and Paige won’t be asked to score more, but can take over the game when she sees fit, that’s why I think Auto Fudd will end up replacing Mühl as a starter at some some point during the season, Kobe called Azzi a bucket for a reason.

Reaction Score

Agreed.............she gone from being a bit of a question mark to showing her ability as an invaluable team first player with Geno's seal of approval...........that counts for a lot at the next level......

Reaction Score
I don’t think Azzi will start. We have a complete starting 5 with existing chemistry returning. Geno tends to only start freshman when there is a direct need (e.g. Maya). If she replaces any starter it would be Nika. But coming off the bench for 25 mpg would be more than appropriate for Azzi. It’s likely most players won’t have to play as many minutes next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom