I think a Geno Show is on at 9:30 | The Boneyard

I think a Geno Show is on at 9:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
SNY... Edit: YUP! ON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
SNY... Edit: YUP! ON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey don't say I didn't warn you guys! I posted the schedule earlier this afternoon. I think there should be a permanent TV coverage sticky thread so people don't miss out or forget to set their DVRs.

psconn

Reaction Score
Will need a recap!
  • Pre- and post- locker room "speech" to team at Houston game talked about the need to play great with energy all the time no matter who the opponent "Its not who you play its how you play"
  • Surprised Jen, Jamelle and Shea became coaches. Loyalty/people skills/high energy: most important attributes in an assistant coach. His whole staff has these attributes.
  • Kiah Q&A
  • Challenging KML to be more than a shooter. She wants to develop into a real leader when Stef and Bria are gone.
  • Told a story about how he left practice in frustration and Jen Riz and Jamelle came back to his locker room and shamed him into coming back out to finish the practice. They kinda went at him the way he goes at them.
  • Kerith: What perceptions of your program are inaccurate? GA: That the coach is an arrogant SOB. Kerith: But that's not inaccurate... GA (smiling): That is kind of accurate... not completely inaccurate.
  • Recruiting against UConn programs frequently tell kids why they shouldn't go to UConn rather than why they should come to their school... GA says never works except with kids he wouldn't want anyway.
Probably more but I'm a little burnt out from work.

psconn

Reaction Score
Not really... Who would you want to take a cross-country car trip with [Kaleena], Who would be the besr coach [Stef(Ithink)]... stuff like that.

Reaction Score
Any more on the Kiah Q & A?
Says she is more confident compared to last year. Thinks Morgan would make the best coach even though she is generally quiet. If Geno wasn't a coach he would be a golfer because he already golfs. Would take Kaleena on a cross country car trip because when she's in a bad mood Kaleena knows to be quiet and vice versa. Apparently Kaleena has a special relationship with Kiah because they played USA basketball together and came in to UConn together. Says her favorite Olympic sport is ping pong and that she has a ping pong table at home and would play her brother and she is the ping pong champion of her house.

Overall a good episode that was 90% Geno this time.

Geno also said the team you see on TV and the team outside of games is different and that people (meaning recruits) that meet UConn players are surprised that they are just like kids in every other program. Recruits are pleasantly surprised when they hang out with the team and it turns out not what they expected and this is also good for the parents of the recruits. Geno said recruits are asked why they would want to go to UConn to get yelled at all the time, or that UConn has too many players at a position, or that you'll just ride the bench, or that there's nothing to do in Storrs. In typical Geno fashion said yeah there's nothing to do in Storrs except win.

I guess I'm a little miffed that there is any negative perception of the kids based on what you see on TV. Those are my words, but Geno made it sound like people think the UConn kids have a similar "arrogant SOB" attitude that they think he has. Maybe I'm misreading that, but I'm not sure how else he could have meant it since it followed his comment that everyone thinks he is an arrogant jerk. UConn gets enough exposure where you'd think there would be no surprises as to the kinds of kids on the team and what they are really like off the court. I'd say we've gotten pretty good glimpses into their personalities given that every game is on TV and a third of their games are on national TV and we've all seen them in countless pre and post game interviews.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

• [ ]Told a story about how he left practice in frustration and Jen Riz and Jamelle came back to his locker room and shamed him into coming back out to finish the practice. They kinda went at him the way he goes at them.
yeah they told him he waas being a big baby. That got him to go back.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I guess I'm a little miffed that there is any negative perception of the kids based on what you see on TV. Those are my words, but Geno made it sound like people think the UConn kids have a similar "arrogant SOB" attitude that they think he has. Maybe I'm misreading that, but I'm not sure how else he could have meant it since it followed his comment that everyone thinks he is an arrogant jerk. UConn gets enough exposure where you'd think there would be no surprises as to the kinds of kids on the team and what they are really like off the court. I'd say we've gotten pretty good glimpses into their personalities given that every game is on TV and a third of their games are on national TV and we've all seen them in countless pre and post game interviews.
I agree with you, especially the part about the random interviews, snippets, or quotes from the players at any given time. They always comport (ugh) themselves with class and often show their senses of humor, or fun. Heck, all you need to do is look up the "Drop it like it's hot" video that Caroline did a few years back to see how much fun these kids have together and how goofy they are. It has over 83,000 views so I'm sure at least a few recruits checked it out...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Or... even better was the "Call me maybe" video that they did. Caroline apparently was the ringleader of those, or at least put the videos together...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Or... even better was the "Call me maybe" video that they did. Caroline apparently was the ringleader of those, or at least put the videos together...

Tiff is so cute. Of course, a WCBB video would not be complete without a protective boot.

Reaction Score
Those were cute. Does anybody have the trick shot video that I think Caroline was also responsible for?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Those were cute. Does anybody have the trick shot video that I think Caroline was also responsible for?
She did several. You can find them on YouTube. Just search Caroline Doty.

Here's her first one....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think re the kids he was saying that people just assume star athletes are going to be a bit full of themselves, especially ones with NCs and they are always surprised to find that they are just regular down to earth kids.

Reaction Score
I think a significant part of UConn's success comes from Geno's ability to pick kids whose character is very solid and who can be part of a cohesive, very well functioning small community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom