I still believe Edsall is the wrong coach for UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I still believe Edsall is the wrong coach for UConn

Reaction Score
I believe this board needs a breathalyzer, such that no one can post after consuming too much, except after games where the armchair QB commentary is priceless. So, please stop censoring stuff after it is posted, but start screening posters before they post!

I don't agree. So many mornings I wake up, check the board and see all these 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 am posts. Your idea could eliminate my early morning entertainment. Then I would be stuck with Golf Channel or CNBC.

Reaction Score
I thought the OP made some valid observations. Most of the responses have been legitimate as well, and I think a lot of the backlash is a reflection of questioning the bride on the eve of the wedding more so than it is his actual argument. If we had hired a different head coach and he had posted that same record, I bet a lot of people would dismiss the idea that we should have hired Edsall instead.

I'm fine with the job Edsall did last year, but I also find the idea that you can't evaluate a coach until year three to be one of the more tiresome cliches in sports. People pedaled that argument with KO even as conflicting evidence continued to club us over the head - the bottom line is that if you can coach, it's going to be self-evident fairly quickly. That doesn't mean 8-4 right away, but it does mean signs of promise - which he showed.

This year will be a tougher test. The bar is higher and he lost some key players. We have to be able to recognize those challenges without allowing our own impatience - which is warranted - to distort our evaluation.

Beyond that, it's hard for me to comment without knowing who else would have been available. My hunch is that if you're in UConn's position, you want to either aim for a coach that can recruit above his weight class or a guy who has proven to outperform his class ranking. Edsall has shown some signs of being the second guy - couple that with his history here, and the incompetence of the last two coaches, and the hiring has been good enough for me so far.

Reaction Score
I thought the OP made some valid observations. Most of the responses have been legitimate as well, and I think a lot of the backlash is a reflection of questioning the bride on the eve of the wedding more so than it is his actual argument. If we had hired a different head coach and he had posted that same record, I bet a lot of people would dismiss the idea that we should have hired Edsall instead.

I'm fine with the job Edsall did last year, but I also find the idea that you can't evaluate a coach until year three to be one of the more tiresome cliches in sports. People pedaled that argument with KO even as conflicting evidence continued to club us over the head - the bottom line is that if you can coach, it's going to be self-evident fairly quickly. That doesn't mean 8-4 right away, but it does mean signs of promise - which he showed.

This year will be a tougher test. The bar is higher and he lost some key players. We have to be able to recognize those challenges without allowing our own impatience - which is warranted - to distort our evaluation.

Beyond that, it's hard for me to comment without knowing who else would have been available. My hunch is that if you're in UConn's position, you want to either aim for a coach that can recruit above his weight class or a guy who has proven to outperform his class ranking. Edsall has shown some signs of being the second guy - couple that with his history here, and the incompetence of the last two coaches, and the hiring has been good enough for me so far.

Don't compare basketball. You can repair a basketball team in two classes even if you were left total crap. You can't repair a football team in 2 years if you were left total crap. If you were left good talent and the coaching was the primary problem, then you can. But Edsall was left way below average AAC talent. It is going to take time. It would take Urban Meyer time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We lost almost three entire years of recruiting with Diaco. The depth chart on Sunday will make that very clear. Many of us scratched our heads as he brought in "prototype" after "prototype" and feared we had kids who didn't run well. There is little doubt in my mind that is exactly what happened.

The counselor is right. This is not a second year fix to a bowl.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Don't compare basketball. You can repair a basketball team in two classes even if you were left total crap. You can't repair a football team in 2 years if you were left total crap. If you were left good talent and the coaching was the primary problem, then you can. But Edsall was left way below average AAC talent. It is going to take time. It would take Urban Meyer time.

That’s why the comparison to UCF’s turnaround isn’t fair. That team had talent, they just quit on O’leary Oh....and they are in Florida...you can get top talent there quickly.

Reaction Score

Not comparing. My point is that there's the objective evaluation and then the subjective one. I think we're all fully aware that he inherited a disaster, which makes more than 3 or 4 wins this season unlikely. But how they play those games is important - under KO, you could tell there were red flags even before they fell off a cliff. In hindsight, the Navy game with Diaco should have been a red flag even though things seemed to point up at that juncture.

It's mostly besides the point since Edsall is going to be here for at least three more years barring a catastrophe, but I think we'll start to get an idea of whether he can bring us back to respectability by the end of this season.

Reaction Score
Not comparing. My point is that there's the objective evaluation and then the subjective one. I think we're all fully aware that he inherited a disaster, which makes more than 3 or 4 wins this season unlikely. But how they play those games is important - under KO, you could tell there were red flags even before they fell off a cliff. In hindsight, the Navy game with Diaco should have been a red flag even though things seemed to point up at that juncture.

It's mostly besides the point since Edsall is going to be here for at least three more years barring a catastrophe, but I think we'll start to get an idea of whether he can bring us back to respectability by the end of this season.

Not sure which Navy game you refer to, but it was obvious to all that he lost the team after the Navy game where he blew it at end and then threw everyone else under the bus. I think up until then he actually had the kids fighting for him - that was there wake up call.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The Navy game still seems like a kick in the nuts. It was a great day up the few minutes of stupidity.

Reaction Score
This lede is from a 2014 Bleacher Report slideshow, but it probably still holds mostly true today....

(19) North Carolina - 2009

...still salty about this loss.

Reaction Score
If Randy Edsall isn't the coach, then who should be? A burnout like Coach Paul Pasqualoni? A largely untried person like Bob Diaco? Often, a school like UConn if it is successful will be the target for more successful teams to hire away the coach. Randy knows the community, culture and what needs to be done to turn the program around. I don't think he would be hired away too quickly given his age.
And the fact that he already had his chance to prove he could build a big time D-1 program at Maryland and laid an egg there. This is Edsall's last, best chance and for the state of Connecticut a bargain. Lets see how much he improves this program from trying to cleanup Diaco's mess last year. If they go bowling this year then give the guy a well deserved pat on the back. If they go 3-9.....

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I don’t post too often anymore (yes I know insert post that says “keep it that way”) and I was not looking forward to making this post because I knew Edsall is still viewed very favorably by most of the Yard. I did so because I thought it was very clear Edsall was not a good choice and yes the 2017 only made my belief stronger.

Your point about UConns choices being limited due to financial considerations at the time is very valid, but I still believe it was a perfect time to hire an up incoming offensive coordinator. Look at the hires made by UCF, UH, and Memphis. Great young hires that turned programs around really quickly. If those schools can find great up in coming offensive coaches then so can UConn.
The fact that you used the phrase "up in coming" says more about you than either post. Thanks for wasting our time for the second time (wondering why your thread was locked?) with your drivel. Seriously. Substance over nonsense. Grammar is not your Grampa's wife.

Reaction Score
Not sure which Navy game you refer to, but it was obvious to all that he lost the team after the Navy game where he blew it at end and then threw everyone else under the bus. I think up until then he actually had the kids fighting for him - that was there wake up call.

2nd & Goal at NAVY 1
(0:17 - 4th) Ron Johnson run for no gain to the Navy 1

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
As a Tennessee football fan I can feel the pain of UCONN fans being in the dumps about their team.

Tennessee has had FIVE head football coaches in ten years. Let that sink in.
While I appreciate your attempt at empathy....there really is no comparison to where Tennessee is versus UConn. Even in your worst case scenario, you still collect SEC checks in the millions. UConn football program is fighting for its existence.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
As a Tennessee football fan I can feel the pain of UCONN fans being in the dumps about their team.

Tennessee has had FIVE head football coaches in ten years. Let that sink in.
and zero H&Hs games played against uconn...we are waiting...

Reaction Score
While I appreciate your attempt at empathy....there really is no comparison to where Tennessee is versus UConn. Even in your worst case scenario, you still collect SEC checks in the millions. UConn football program is fighting for its existence.

UCONN football will be around a hundred years from now if college football is still being played.
and zero H&Hs games played against uconn...we are waiting...

Hey, call Phillip Fulmer. Maybe he will schedule it. He may be afraid, though, that ya'll would beat us. He just renewed the Lady Vols basketball home and home with the Huskies.

Memphis, our arch in state enemy, would have scored 70 points on UT last season too, but we would have only been able to score ten points on them.

Vanderbilt, yes VANDERBILT, has beat UT four of the past six seasons!

Last edited:

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
UCONN football will be around a hundred years from now if college football is still being played.

Hey, call Phillip Fulmer. Maybe he will schedule it. He may be afraid, though, that ya'll would beat us. He just renewed the Lady Vols basketball home and home with the Huskies.

Memphis, our arch in state enemy, would have scored 70 points on UT last season too.

I mean in his defense we were a much more attractive opponent way back when the deal was signed lol. we got crushed by mizzou last year...you probably good lol

Reaction Score
Indeed, Randy has gotten very involved with the defense this year from what I have seen. Thank God - we are backing off that crazy 3-3-5 base. That’s part of a dumpster fire now.
Yes, the speed eye test also popped up on Chief’s radar screen in a few practices I saw in Storrs. Give Randy 1-2 more years and we will have really good team speed.
Now we got to get some more killers up front on defense.

The casual fans believe keeping up with the Jones' is the answer.

Reaction Score
We lost almost three entire years of recruiting with Diaco. The depth chart on Sunday will make that very clear. Many of us scratched our heads as he brought in "prototype" after "prototype" and feared we had kids who didn't run well. There is little doubt in my mind that is exactly what happened.

The counselor is right. This is not a second year fix to a bowl.

I'll never forget Mr. Excitement boasting how he was going to bring in big guys.
He apparently didn't know they also had to have some ability and speed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good question, but why not 4?
Field Hockey has five. We should be at least as good as field hockey.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
Memphis plays AT Missouri this season. Memphis is my enemy, but they are fun to watch.

I hope ya'll can dethrone the defending National Champions on the 30th.

I hope man, it would be awesome to ruin their season and destroy their reputation right off the bat. I wouldn't mind beating boise the week after either lol. You think we would have a shot a getting ranked if we he went 2-0 vs ucf and boise?

Reaction Score
I hope man, it would be awesome to ruin their season and destroy their reputation right off the bat. I wouldn't mind beating boise the week after either lol. You think we would have a shot a getting ranked if we he went 2-0 vs ucf and boise?

That would mean opening the season with consecutive victories as three TD+ underdogs. Not sure that's ever happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom