I saw something in today's game I never saw before. | The Boneyard

I saw something in today's game I never saw before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone will review the Houston game wo either verify or refute what I (think I) saw.

Early second half. Houston guards bringing the ball toward mid-court. UConn in 1-2-2 zone.

Just as the Houston guard dribbled (very casually) across the mid-court line, two of the UConn guards suddenly charged right at her, seemingly with the intent of forcing her to take up her dribble just after crossing mid-court, then trapping her there using that line like the sideline is often used this way.

I was astonished, it happened so quickly. The two UConn guards (Bria and Moriah, IIRC) moved like sprinters out of the blocks in perfect unison.

Was this a new defensive play? Was it my imagination? Thoughts and observations welcome.

Reaction Score
Yup. You saw correctly and it worked too. I looked at it a second time to see if I could pick up a signal, but didn't see one. They both made the dash at exactly the same moment.

L'ville tried it on MoJet last year, but she just zoomed out of the pocket and dribbled into the clear.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Yes you saw correctly. Its a relatively old defense. You look like zone and the very quickly move to a double team trap. and you are correct, the intent to to have the dribbler pick up the dribble.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that they tried that tactic in a recent game (UCF?)
but failed because they didn't get there quickly enough.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good teaching moment for Houston as well... teaches them how to break the press and how "elite D-1" basketball is played.

may not been a hand signal... Geno could have barked out the order, or they could have called it out after a made basket

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone will review the Houston game wo either verify or refute what I (think I) saw.

Early second half. Houston guards bringing the ball toward mid-court. UConn in 1-2-2 zone.

Just as the Houston guard dribbled (very casually) across the mid-court line, two of the UConn guards suddenly charged right at her, seemingly with the intent of forcing her to take up her dribble just after crossing mid-court, then trapping her there using that line like the sideline is often used this way.

I was astonished, it happened so quickly. The two UConn guards (Bria and Moriah, IIRC) moved like sprinters out of the blocks in perfect unison.

Was this a new defensive play? Was it my imagination? Thoughts and observations welcome.
We use that periodically. It is a standard trap. Another variation is running the single guard at the offensive player as they cross forcing the pickup while the off guard and forward lay in wait to attack the bail out pass. We attain numerous breakaways off that variation.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I read an article once about some player of Vivian's at Cheney, that was what they did; I think that type of trapping was a big part of the game as long ago as that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Okay, okay. I concede the point some of you have made -- that this type of trap (using midcourt line like she sideline is often used after an offensive player picks up her dribble). I got that.

What struck me about the application of this strategem in the UConn v. Houston game was the speed and timing (perfect unison) applied by the two UConn guards. They went at the hapless Houston dribbler like they were fired from a cannon and covered 10-12 feet in an instant. Bang!

Hey, in a 51-point blowout, let me find some little gem to discuss, willya?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog