I recant all that I posted yesterday | The Boneyard

I recant all that I posted yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If my thinking is as close to Jeff Jacobs is in his column this morning, I must be very wrong. That and there were some additional quotes that were not in the tweet thread yesterday.

Reaction Score
After I read Jacobs I often ask myself "what the hell is his duck*ing point?"

Drivel........

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If my thinking is as close to Jeff Jacobs is in his column this morning, I must be very wrong. That and there were some additional quotes that were not in the tweet thread yesterday.

I dont think you are allowed to do that...

:)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think the rule is that you can recant comments about coaches but not about QB's. I've only got 590 pts though so I may not have that right. :confused:

Reaction Score
Agreeing with Jacobs is like agreeing with Palatine. Mostly its drivel. Once in a while he nails it. Today was one of those times.

Reaction Score
Agreeing with Jacobs is like agreeing with Palatine. Mostly its drivel. Once in a while he nails it. Today was one of those times.

If you like whining, and you do, you'll like Jacobs and 06029.

Reaction Score
I guess its nice to have the conviction of standing in the front row of any lynch mob or willingly volunteer for any firing squad. If Diaco's process results in a faster than expected turnaround of this program, do the same people stand in back of the cheering section yelling, Hooray!!!

Reaction Score
The guy really should properly cite the boneyard when he writes a piece like that for syndicated paper. Plagiarism is really a pet peeve. All you got to do is put the citation in, and everything's cool.

For the record Duncan, if the process succeeds, and we beat Stony Brook, and work our way out of the hole and finish above .500 as winners this season - I'll be cheering my lily off. I'm just annoyed right now, really, because we're at the level where I'm legitimately concerned about beating Stony Brook. STONY BROOK!! We should never lose to anything Stony Brook unless it's a school of engineering academic competition or something, and even then, we should beat them.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Why aren't you on the BB board complaining about Ollie and just complaining about Diaco?

Reaction Score
One thing I couldn't stand about the Pasqualoni era was that the journalists really never got critical of him until almost after he was fired.

For one, I don't neccesarily agree with the basis of the column. I get what Wacky Bob is doing by playing so many guys. I don't agree with how he is handling the QBs.

That being said, Jeff Jacobs is totally being reasonable here.

-"Preparation" is usually what you do in pre season and practice. People don't buy tickets to see preparation. They want to see the Huskies try to win. You think that I am crazy about forking over 400 bucks on a plane ticket and everything else to go see the Huskies "prepare" nope.

-There is dissonance between Diaco exhorting the fanbase to buy tickets because the wins are coming and what we saw against BYU.

-The QB part is totally reasonable and I applaud Jacobs for being critical here. What he is essentially saying is that preseason is over and it's time to go for it. It is hard to compete at an elite level when we are playing for development and not pursuing development by trying to play tactically for the win.

That's not to say that Wacky Bob isn't trying to win, but this has to be one of the strangest developments I have seen in a rebuild.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I like HCWBD - head coach wacky bob diaco.

It works if he wins of loses. For the apologists or the negative nellies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Please read Matt's Boneyard Blog response to this ridiculous (and dangerous) notion that Diaco isn't trying to win games. And for the love of Jonathan, stop reading (and taking to heart) everything Jacobs writes. There are guys in our media who clearly do not understand football and write just to generate link clicks.

Reaction Score
Please read Matt's Boneyard Blog response to this ridiculous (and dangerous) notion that Diaco isn't trying to win games. And for the love of Jonathan, stop reading (and taking to heart) everything Jacobs writes. There are guys in our media who clearly do not understand football and write just to generate link clicks.

I disagree with Matt's blog entirely. His process is fair game. Playing 50 guys in a game? You're telling me it's obvious beyond a shadow of the doubt that he's trying to win those games?

Dooley

Reaction Score
I disagree with Matt's blog entirely. His process is fair game. Playing 50 guys in a game? You're telling me it's obvious beyond a shadow of the doubt that he's trying to win those games?

Of course he's trying to win the games. Are you saying that Diaco and UCONN took the field on Friday night not wanting to win?? His process, including his in-game management, is fair game. It's one thing to question playing 50 guys in the game or kicking a FG. But the whole questioning of whether or not UCONN is trying to win games is completely silly. It's two separate arguments that have seemingly morphed into one: UCONN doesn't care about winning. OF COURSE THEY DO.

Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
Of course he's trying to win the games. Are you saying that Diaco and UCONN took the field on Friday night not wanting to win?? His process, including his in-game management, is fair game. It's one thing to question playing 50 guys in the game or kicking a FG. But the whole questioning of whether or not UCONN is trying to win games is completely silly. It's two separate arguments that have seemingly morphed into one: UCONN doesn't care about winning. OF COURSE THEY DO.

Does he want to win? I have no doubt that he does. Is doing things during the game that benefit the program in the long term that makes winning the game of paramount importance? No I think that he is.

I'm not a critic of that by the way. But the reality is that his game management during these first 3 games is focused more on the long term than the short term. Don't even think that is debatable.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Does he want to win? I have no doubt that he does. Is doing things during the game that benefit the program in the long term that makes winning the game of paramount importance? No I think that he is.

I'm not a critic of that by the way. But the reality is that his game management during these first 3 games is focused more on the long term than the short term. Don't even think that is debatable.

Okay, fair enough. Let's see how the games (and coaching decisions) play out in the Stony Brook and Boise games before we lump those games in with the BYU game management though. Diaco is already on record of saying that things will change, including my biggest question of the game - QBs will stay in games if they are in the midst of engineering successful drives. The staff felt Whitmer is better suited for red zone area possessions because of his mobility to escape higher percentages of blitzes dialed up when defenses are backed up like that. I don't agree with it but that's what they felt. I think Casey's decision making is what separates him from Chandler, especially in the red zone and when being blitzed. A good QB can exploit a blitz by finding the open guy instead of running frantically around and throwing 50/50 balls up for grabs.

Seems like we're more on the same page than I thought. My apologies.

Reaction Score
Okay, fair enough. Let's see how the games (and coaching decisions) play out in the Stony Brook and Boise games before we lump those games in with the BYU game management though. Diaco is already on record of saying that things will change, including my biggest question of the game - QBs will stay in games if they are in the midst of engineering successful drives. The staff felt Whitmer is better suited for red zone area possessions because of his mobility to escape higher percentages of blitzes dialed up when defenses are backed up like that. I don't agree with it but that's what they felt. I think Casey's decision making is what separates him from Chandler, especially in the red zone and when being blitzed. A good QB can exploit a blitz by finding the open guy instead of running frantically around and throwing 50/50 balls up for grabs.

Seems like we're more on the same page than I thought. My apologies.

Yeah we can see how the next 2 games play out but when asked point blank how long this "preparation phase" is going to last he answered it very specifically.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah we can see how the next 2 games play out but when asked point blank how long this "preparation phase" is going to last he answered it very specifically.

I hear you. But as we all know, in-game adjustments are all part of coaching. Well, not under the old regime. But I hear they're pretty popular these days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom