I might have convinced myself that a move to the ACC would give us a better BB product | The Boneyard

I might have convinced myself that a move to the ACC would give us a better BB product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I realize that many of us over-fantasize the wonder of the Big East. As good as the league was last season, the unbalanced schedule where we no longer play the best teams twice during the regular season IMO has tainted the BE product. Now granted, going deep and winning the BET certainly made up for it last season, but you're not always going to have a deep BET run and can end up during any given season only playing one or two of the top BE teams twice and not even seeing some of them at home whatsoever.

If, and I realize it is a big IF, we get an ACC invitation, the following scenario IMO would be an upgrade to what we currently have. Consider the followoing:

Northern Division: (Home & Home for all 8 teams): UConn, SU, Pitt, BC, MD, VT, UV & RU (or some other 8th team. I would love see Nova added along with us but they put off going D1 in FB far too long.)

Southern Divsion: (Play all 8 once...not sure if that's too many games, so it might be play 4 of the 8 on a rotating basis once) - UNC, Dook, WFU, NCSU, GT, Clemson, FSU, UM

Granted, we'll all miss playing Georgetown. Although SJU was finally relevant last season, they haven't been for some time. I could certainly live without playing long time members PC & SH, especially when a change would continue games against Pitt & SU and more of them, not to mention rekindle the hated battles between us and BCU. Yeah, I'll miss playing tough competitors like UL, Marquette, Cincy & WVU, but replacing them with MD twice a year, a program that is usually very good, plus playing UNC and Dook once a year, maybe twice if we face one or more of them in the ACC tournament, plus a pair of teams that are usually good in WF & GT will more than make up for it.

With SU & Pitt leaving, even if we played the top BE teams twice, it simply is no longer the product that it recently has been. Any FB/BB replacements will not come close. Playing the top BE BB teams twice, which simply won't happen, unless they unbalance the schedule even more, won't cut it. Imagine if they schedule us twice against Nova, Georgetown and UL, does that come close to what we would get with an ACC schedule? Feel free to replace any of those with Cinci, WVU if they're still around, ND if they're still around, etc. Losing Pitt & SU is a huge hit to the BE BB wise.

I had been thinking that a move to the ACC wouldn't be much of a BB upgrade, but the more I think about it, especially due to the ridiculous unbalanced schedule, a move to the ACC would be more of a BB upgrade that we think. If we were playing SU, Pitt and the others 2 times a year during the regular season, it would have been a different story. As good as the league was last year, the BE overall product is not as good as it used to be when we played the marquee programs twice a season and then maybe again in the BET. Our perception is a tad tainted because we ended up playing a second time and beating GU, Pitt, SU & UL in the BET last season during the 5 wins in 5 days on our way to the unprecedented BET 2011 Championship!

I think a run that goes through say, SU, Pitt, Dook and/or UNC would be pretty damn good too!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if the acc etc....there are 3 different ways to do the schedule for that league then imo.

1-round robin +. play each team once with 1 rival game for 16. you rotate h/a per year and the rival game is a h/a every year. you can make it 3 rivals games for 18 instead if you want. this would be good tv $$ wise and be a true conf schedule for the most part.

2-what you put up dog with a bit more info. play a north and south divison with pods.
north division:
pod1-bc/uconn/ruty/cuse
pod2-md/vt/uva/pitt

south division:
pod1-unc/ncst/wake/duke
pod2-clem/gt/mia/fsu

play each division team h/a =14 games. then play 2 of 4 from each pod rotation in the other division. so over a 4 year span you would play each team from a different division once home and away. thats a solid 18 game schedule but its kind of weird not playing everyone atleast once...

3-play a major pod schedule.
pod1-bc/uconn/ruty/cuse
pod2-md/vt/uva/pitt
pod3-unc/ncst/wake/duke
pod4-clem/gt/mia/fsu
you play your pod h/w=6 games and then the rest of the conf once(h/a based on year) which would total 18 games and keep rivalaries all set.

i actually keep thinking how cool the 3rd option would be. everyone gets a crack at everyone for bball, you keep the rivals with h/a in you pod (bc-uconn)(uconn-cuse)(fsu-miami)(tb road roval games) (vt-uva) etcetc. i think this is the best all the away around. it keeps the rivals with h/a games every year, gives the most big time matchups for tv and gives everyone a crack at each other for a "mostly" balanced schedule.

Reaction Score
The only other thing that would need to happen is playing the ACC tourney in the garden. It's really that important, mainly for the fans but its also a big part of our recruiting pitch, I constantly hear recruits say "yadda yadda yadda and they play in the garden."

No Seinfeld reference intended.

Reaction Score
I have an issue with the title of your post but not the content. If would be hard to have a better basketball product then what we have put out there over the last ten years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
BB wise the move, if it happens, would mean going from the best BB conference, the BE, to the new best BB conference, the ACC.

What will stink is UConn won't take it's BE accomplishments with it. Every season announcers will discuss the ACC and how UNC and Duke lead all categories of regular season and tournament championships. The first year or two there will be some mention of what Cuse, Pitt and UConn accomplished in the BE. But that won't last for long. People have short memories. So this could be a recruiting disadvantage for the three former BE schools.

Furthermore the tournaments will most likely be held in the South. UConn fans won't be able to just get in the car and a couple of hours later be in the greatest arena for bb. This will hurt fan support in tournament games.

That realization aside, the alternative is UConn could end up in a non BCS AQ conference. And everything I've read indicates the strong likelihood that this could negatively impact UConn in all sports and not just football. So hopefully UConn can land in the ACC (decent odds but may take a few years*), the B!G (extremely unlikely but you never know) or a reconfigured BE (probably the outcome over the next couple of years) that stays attractive enough to retain its BCS AQ.

*There is an opinion that if Missouri elects to stay in the B12, the SEC may end up going after FSU or Clemson as opposed to WVU. If that happens then the ACC may offer an invite to UConn sooner rather than later. Of course the SEC can offer WVU the 14th spot, the B12 retains Missouri and poaches Ville and Cincy and UConn is in trouble. So there is no way of knowing what will happen next.

Reaction Score
It's not our choice. No point into putting too much thought into it.

Reaction Score
Our Governor, University President, and basketball coach sure are putting a lot of thought into it.

Reaction Score
Our Governor, University President, and basketball coach sure are putting a lot of thought into it.
Or they already have put a lot of thought into it.

Reaction Score
I have an issue with the title of your post but not the content. If would be hard to have a better basketball product then what we have put out there over the last ten years.

The issue isn't whether the basketball in the ACC will be better than the product that the BE has put out there for the past 10 years, it is the product going forward once Syracuse and Pitt leave. Yes Louisville and Villanova will still be around, but the quality will decrease significantly once you take 'Cuse and Pitt away and add in military schools and temple.

Put UConn in the ACC and you have a conference that comparable in every way to the BE as it was constituted over the past 10 years. The only difference will be that the conference is focused in the south as opposed to the northeast.

Reaction Score
This is precisely why Duke and UNC are so gung ho about adding UConn. They see round-robin play against the old ACC teams reconstituted.

Reaction Score
if the acc etc....there are 3 different ways to do the schedule for that league then imo.

1-round robin +. play each team once with 1 rival game for 16. you rotate h/a per year and the rival game is a h/a every year. you can make it 3 rivals games for 18 instead if you want. this would be good tv $$ wise and be a true conf schedule for the most part.

2-what you put up dog with a bit more info. play a north and south divison with pods.
north division:
pod1-bc/uconn/ruty/cuse
pod2-md/vt/uva/pitt

south division:
pod1-unc/ncst/wake/duke
pod2-clem/gt/mia/fsu

play each division team h/a =14 games. then play 2 of 4 from each pod rotation in the other division. so over a 4 year span you would play each team from a different division once home and away. thats a solid 18 game schedule but its kind of weird not playing everyone atleast once...

3-play a major pod schedule.
pod1-bc/uconn/ruty/cuse
pod2-md/vt/uva/pitt
pod3-unc/ncst/wake/duke
pod4-clem/gt/mia/fsu
you play your pod h/w=6 games and then the rest of the conf once(h/a based on year) which would total 18 games and keep rivalaries all set.

i actually keep thinking how cool the 3rd option would be. everyone gets a crack at everyone for bball, you keep the rivals with h/a in you pod (bc-uconn)(uconn-cuse)(fsu-miami)(tb road roval games) (vt-uva) etcetc. i think this is the best all the away around. it keeps the rivals with h/a games every year, gives the most big time matchups for tv and gives everyone a crack at each other for a "mostly" balanced schedule.

Exactly what I have heard around here. No way they split up the old ACC and VA Tech...took them too long to get in and they def don't want to be in the "Northern" group whether it's split in half or quarters. ACC is all about historical, regional rivalries. If ever we go to the ACC, Exit 16 is spot on.
The good money down here in ACC land is we end up in the new ACC. Going to be awhile, ND is the key but the big two, Duke and UNC are pushing. My opinion is based on a combo of feedback from Tech and UVA friends of the program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
in fball ppl keep talking about a north and south division becuase it looks good on a map.
north-bc/uconn/cuse/ruty/pitt/md/uva/vt
south-unc/ncst/duke/wake/clem/gt/fsu/maimi
that imo won't work. like what your talking about richmond. you have 2 new england schools, 4 nc schools, 2 fl schools, 2 va schools. you split up regions and make those regions you rival game so everyone is still happy rival wise. that gives each team in the acc a chance to visit to a region recruiting/alum wise...
bc-uconn/ruty-cuse/pitt-md/vt-uva/miami-fsu/clem-gt/tb road
1: uconn/ruty/pitt/vt/miami/unc/duke/clemson
2:bc/cuse/md/uva/fsu/ncst/wake/gt
or something like that

the other thing i can see happening is a new blood old blood thing. besides the BE teasm to the acc recently, fsu joined in the 90's and gt in the 70's, to balance the south u pick gt out instead of fsu...
nb:miami/gt/bc/vt/cuse/pitt/uconn/ruty
ob:tb road/fsu/clem/uva/md
this is a bit of a ugly split up, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom