I love this team but... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I love this team but...

Reaction Score
Sorry but I grew up on real UConn teams. I loved the Kemba team.... I loved the Bazz team...I loved the Okafor Team.. I loved the Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall Teams.

What the hell is there to love about this team? That even though they lose they do it playing really really hard? Should we just ignore the terrible turn overs, the massive shooting droughts, the stupid fouls and inability to hit a layup because they play really really hard?
Got to put in the hard work, fight and want it as a first step. That’s a lot more than we’ve seen the last few years. They are committed, progressing and that’s worth watching. I still think they can make a run at the AAC tourney with some breaks.

Reaction Score
Bouk looked absolutely spent. His defense is bad enough, but it was worse in OT. No legs on his jumper & no explosion on his drives. Only Vital and Whaley looked like they had anything left.
Go watch the UConn vault replays then . I’ll enjoy a group of kids instilling their will every game to get this program back. They’re college athletes and sometimes we lose sight of that. I’m enjoying the ride.
So win we grin
Lose we cruise?
Cool.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sorry but I grew up on real UConn teams. I loved the Kemba team.... I loved the Bazz team...I loved the Okafor Team.. I loved the Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall Teams.

What the hell is there to love about this team? That even though they lose they do it playing really really hard? Should we just ignore the terrible turn overs, the massive shooting droughts, the stupid fouls and inability to hit a layup because they play really really hard?
If you can't appreciate where this team is today vs November 2019, I feel sorry for you
I grew up watching Coach Shabel led teams in the old Field House with pitchers throwing in the adjacent areas and track and field athletes practicing pole vaulting as well
We all loved those JC teams, I loved the Wes B and Toby K teams, Tony H and Corny teams and loved the teams during the down years
Its called being a loyal fan and that means accepting/understanding the bad and celebrating the good

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wouldnt be tired if you took care of business in regulation.
IF..................................
sometimes you fall on the wrong side of IF

Reaction Score
Another learning moment. Fatigue definitely set in but almost pulled it off if not for that off balance 3.

I faintly remember us playing man when IW got burned for hedging too early for the easy layup. Did we ever play zone during the OT? I'm think we could have conserved some energy if we did.

All I wanted this year is not to turn off the game before the half ended. I haven't had to do that this year.

Reaction Score
Team went all out yesterday so there is no blame I'd want to give in a great effort. My concern is next year at this point because we will lose Gilbert and Vital, get back Polley and Akok, and I think we are still going to have trouble scoring. What BA did yesterday did not instill confidence. . Since there is always injury Hurley really needs to get an experienced grad big man or 4. Otherwise I think we have more of the same different year. It's time to make the tourney next year, not the NIT right?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yes, I'm sure you were perfectly reasonable when Donyell missed those two free throws against Florida.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

You're in the running for Hater of the Year. Get lost. If you want to bash professionals for playing hard and losing, go ahead. These are college KIDS laying it out for us and being part of the rebuild. I'm pulling your UCONN card.

Reaction Score

Temple wanted to give us that game but we refused to take it. I agree with you though. Can you imagine Calhoun saying he was proud of his team for “competing” after that loss. They’d be lucky he allowed them back on the bus.

Reaction Score
no we wont
He might come back next year. Very reasonable he’s back for big East play in January. He’s also 10 -15 years younger than certain hoops guys who have had same injury. Gotta figure that might slightly lower 9-12 month timetable. Just trying to be positive. We don’t get akok back for half the year we’re probably looking at a repeat performance next year because the competition will be stiffer. Don’t depress me. My man will be back

Reaction Score
Then don’t watch the games. Any real fan can see the positives that this team is playing hard, keeping itself in every game when they are incredibly short-handed after being ravaged by injuries, and the freshmen are improving and maturing right before our eyes. Reinforcements are on the way next year and even with the injuries, UConn will be back. If you don’t love this year’s team, then don’t watch. Maybe you’ll be happier next November.
The positive sure isn’t winning games.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Yes, you should love that they play so hard.
Or you can just love the finished product. The years we win the championship are good and so are lottery picks.
The difference between a fan and a front-runner.

Reaction Score
This is a perfect example of a team working harder then working smarter, its why its always better to work smarter then harder.
This is such a white collar take on a blue collar activity. And planning vs. execution.

Reaction Score
Well it’s tough to play 50 minutes but if you think they can do it by all means sit Gilbert.

Yeah because Adams was so good and Gaffney was great for all of his minutes, especially his D in the OT's lol.. What do some of you even watch or know? Funny stuff.

Reaction Score
This year is a process no doubt but by no means is last nights loss acceptable under any circumstances.

It's a process and it's flowing in the right direction no doubt. Anyone not seeing that is blind. The kids are a team, they play hard mostly all the time real hard actually. They're resilient and that's no doubt from Coach Hurley.

But if you don't think he has a little too prove still based on all of these close losses then you're a bit too forgiving and comfy. I mean last night the fact Brendan Adams played 34 minutes with the way he was playing is beyond questionable. No one on that staff said get him out he's playing terrible? That was a major reason for the loss amongst many others, but I throw a lot of it on way too many minutes in this one. Hey the kid has some good games but by no means is he consistent, actually he suddenly feels like he has a green light like Kemba or Bazz. His defense was atrocious and he was on the court way too much.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm totally torn on the Gilbert thing. The kid continues to try to play way over his head on offense, to the point of being a major liability at times. But their defense is noticeably better with him on the court. Hurley's vocal support of him for so long was for solid reasons I'm sure. But I suspect that even DH is losing faith that Al can turn it around, which sucks when they have the depth problem they do at the moment.

As a fan from pretty far back, I've been clinging to the hope that they pull it together just in time to make it to the final game in the AAC tourney with a shot at the Big Dance bid. But I don't see that happening with this lack of depth.

Reaction Score
Yeah because Adams was so good and Gaffney was great for all of his minutes, especially his D in the OT's lol.. What do some of you even watch or know? Funny stuff.
You must be talking to the mirror son.

Reaction Score

I love those teams too but man oh man I think you are missing it. This team is like a microcosm of life. It’s reality for most people. It’s not like thst other Uconn team with 11 championships. That’s the stuff of fantasy. This team is closer to my own reality. Working hard, being dedicated, sacrificing for your family but never feeling like your winning. Because you lose just as much as you win. Sometimes that hard work doesn’t come with a medal, sometimes it just has to be its own reward. You get mad at this team because they miss shots because they are not the talented teams of old? That doesn’t make sense. This has become one my favorite Uconn teams to support.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom