I Love It! | The Boneyard

I Love It!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are a few schools that we owe a beat down. Among them are Kansas for 2016 and UCLA for 1995 (we also owe Pitino a beatdown for,.. well... being Pitino).

In 1999 and then 2004 We exacted vengeance on Duke for 1990 and 1991 respectively. In 1999 we also took our pound of flesh from Ohio St for 1992.

I've always referred to 2014 as the Revenge Tour as that settled scores with St Joe's (1965, albeit before my time as a fan but still), Iowa St for 2012, Michigan St for 2009, Florida for 1994 and, as a bonus we slapped around Calipari and Kentucky for the second time in a final to win a title (but also because doing that is so much fun).

There are a handful of scores that we likely won't have the opportunity to settle but what's ahead of us gives us the opportunity to draw some blood from those who owe us blood.

Reaction Score
You are always impressing me with your trivia knowledge. Florida in 1994 was truly disheartening. We lost it on the foul line if I remember correctly. Otherwise, Donyell was darned good. I hope we leave a trail of destruction and make all their revenge lists.

Reaction Score
Been a longtime since I posted here but this topic is something I was actually discussing with my dad and godfather the other day all 3 of us Uconn alums. I brought up how UConn has slayed just about all the blue blood dragons over the years but the one that still alludes us is Kansas. Slaying that last dragon would definitely be something I would love to see.

I remember that Florida game in 1994 I remember Donyell stepping to the line and thinking the game was over, he was our best player and all he had to do was hit one of two and he ended up missing both. We all know what happened in OT. I was so disheartened because BC had upset UNC earlier and I went in thinking we were going to the F4 because we had beaten BC twice that year.

Reaction Score
I hope this will be the year we get our chance to slay Kansas. Would love that as well. If we get Kansas by beating some very good teams then I like our chances.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
There are a few schools that we owe a beat down. Among them are Kansas for 2016 and UCLA for 1995 (we also owe Pitino a beatdown for,.. well... being Pitino).

In 1999 and then 2004 We exacted vengeance on Duke for 1990 and 1991 respectively. In 1999 we also took our pound of flesh from Ohio St for 1992.

I've always referred to 2014 as the Revenge Tour as that settled scores with St Joe's (1965, albeit before my time as a fan but still), Iowa St for 2012, Michigan St for 2009, Florida for 1994 and, as a bonus we slapped around Calipari and Kentucky for the second time in a final to win a title (but also because doing that is so much fun).

There are a handful of scores that we likely won't have the opportunity to settle but what's ahead of us gives us the opportunity to draw some blood from those who owe us blood.

I love these memories

Reaction Score
I hope this will be the year we get our chance to slay Kansas. Would love that as well. If we get Kansas by beating some very good teams then I like our chances.
not gonna lie, how great were the villanova wins

Reaction Score

As for Kansas, we actually owe them for much longer than that 12 point tournament loss in 2016. We also owe them for that 88-59 beating they gave us way back in 1995, from the team that had Jaques Vaughan, Greg Ostertag, and Raef Lafrenze.

Also, we owe them for the other loss back in 1997 from nearly the same team that had Paul Pierce.

We are winless at 0-3 against Kansas. We are about due to finally get our first win against the Jayhawks in dominant style.

Reaction Score
As for Kansas, we actually owe them for much longer than that 12 point tournament loss in 2016. We also owe them for that 88-59 beating they gave us way back in 1995, from the team that had Jaques Vaughan, Greg Ostertag, and Raef Lafrenze.

Also, we owe them for the other loss back in 1997 from nearly the same team that had Paul Pierce.

We are winless at 0-3 against Kansas. We are about due to finally get our first win against the Jayhawks in dominant style.
That 1995 game in Hartford was so loud. Would love to see those Kansas losses avenged. Scott Pollard was also there in 1995. The 1997 game was a beat down if I recall correctly and ruined my weekend.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the 95 game (94-95 season) was in Kemper, second half of a double header with the women playing KU women in game one). The game in Hartford was in the 96-97 season immediately after the BS suspension Kirk King received from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the 95 game (94-95 season) was in Kemper, second half of a double header with the women playing KU women in game one). The game in Hartford was in the 96-97 season immediately after the BS suspension Kirk King received from the NCAA.
You are correct. I just checked 1995 was beat down in Kemper. 88-59 KU.
http://www.rockchalk.com/games/g199517.

Hartford was 1997. Lost 73-65

Series: Kansas leads, 1-0

* Last meeting: Kansas 88, UConn 59 (Jan. 28, 1995)

* Of note: With starters Kirk King and Ricky Moore ineligible and Ruslan Inyatkin injured, UConn will have nine scholarship players available. . . . UConn has not played since a 69-54 victory at Georgetown Jan. 11. . . . The last time the teams met, UConn was 15-0 and ranked second with a chance to move to No. 1 before losing at Kemper Arena. Jerod Haase had 20 points in that game and Jacque Vaughn 10 assists for Kansas. . . . Kansas has won 21 consecutive January games since 1995, and 31 of its past 32 nonconference regular season games. The Jayhawks haven’t lost a nonconference road game since Dec. 17, 1994, against Indiana. . . . Kansas, ranked No. 1 for the seventh consecutive week, has been in the AP Top 25 for 106 consecutive weeks. . . . Vaughn is the only Kansas starter who isn’t shooting above 50 percent. . . . Scot Pollard is one of seven players in Kansas history with 1,000 points (1,127) and 700 rebounds (762). The others are Danny Manning, Bill Bridges, Wilt Chamberlain, Dave Robisch, Clyde Lovellette and Mark Randall. . . . Kansas practiced at the University of Hartford Saturday, then toured ESPN after dinner. . . . In 99 seasons of basketball, this is the first time Kansas has played a game in Connecticut. . . . Jim Nantz and Billy Packer will call the game for CBS.

* Injuries: Kansas — Scot Pollard (ankle) will play; UConn — Ruslan Inyatkin (dislocated toe) out.

* He said it: “We can’t let up. We’ve got to play 40 hard minutes; I mean really hard. We are still a team.” — UConn guard Dion Carson

Probable starters

KANSAS (17-0)

Pos. Player Ht. Wgt. Year PPG RPG

G Jacque Vaughn 6-1 195 Sr. 10.3 2.4

G Jerod Haase 6-3 191 Sr. 13.5 4.2

C Scot Pollard 6-11 265 Sr. 12.1 8.5

F Paul Pierce 6-7 220 So. 15.1 5.8

F Raef LaFrentz 6-11 235 Jr. 17.4 8.5

UCONN (11-3)

Pos. Player Ht. Wgt. Year PPG RPG

G Monquencio Hardnett 6-3 175 Jr. 5.9 1.6

G Rashamel Jones 6-5 205 So. 15.1 3.9

C Jake Voskuhl 6-11 235 Fr. 2.6 3.2

F Richard Hamilton 6-6 180 Fr. 11.2 4.6

F Kevin Freeman 6-6 224 Fr. 7.6 4.6

Key matchup

* Jake Voskuhl vs. Scot Pollard: Voskuhl won’t be expected to outplay Pollard, but he does need to stay out of foul trouble. With Kirk King out, Voskuhl must give the Huskies more than his usual 11 minutes. If Voskuhl picks up one or two quick fouls, UConn won’t have anyone to match the size of Pollard and Raef LaFrentz inside.

Things to watch for

1 – Emotion: The Huskies have been surrounded by distractions all week. After losing two key starters, it will be interesting to see how the young players respond to a difficult challenge.

2 – Kansas defense: The Jayhawks may play the best on- the-ball man defense in the nation. They make switches, recover extremely well and don’t allow opponents room to drive. Opponents have shot 50 percent or better only six times in the past four seasons.

3 – Depth: Kansas has nine players averaging 10.2 minutes or more, and another, freshman Nick Bradford, averaging 9.9. Coach Roy Williams substitutes often, allowing the Jayhawks to have relentless pressure on defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been hoping for a Kansas matchup in the Big 12/Big East gimmick since we returned for a similar 2016 revenge spot. That was a really non fun late afternoon in that Kansas game and Perry Ellis mid range jumpering us to death

Reaction Score

1965?
1994?
1995?
1999?

This edition of Huskies wasn't yet alive. But hey, if it works...

Reaction Score
UConn has literally never beaten Kansas or UCLA. Granted, they've only played the two schools 4 times combined (0-3 v. Kansas, 0-1 v. UCLA), but still.

Reaction Score

I was at Kemper for that 1995 game. It was a doubleheader with both the mens team and the womens team. Maybe the first ever mens womens doubleheader televised on CBS? Wonen won and we were ranked like #2 in the country. KU won the tap, scored on a dunk and the rout was on. Seriously, UConn never in the game! Payback would be sweet!

Reaction Score
That 1995 game in Hartford was so loud. Would love to see those Kansas losses avenged. Scott Pollard was also there in 1995. The 1997 game was a beat down if I recall correctly and ruined my weekend.
It ruined mine because I think we were prepped to win that 1997 game....until last minute we get screwed by the announcement (last minute) that Kirk King and Ricky Moore got suspended...for airline tickets? The timing to me felt...off somehow. If they felt they both did somethinj wrong the previous year, than why do it right before a huge game for Uconn on national tv?

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree. That Kirk King suspension was waaay over the top. He gets suspended fir thecrest of the entire season for something so small. And I'm sure there must be examples of other players doing worse...than airline tickets...and weren't suspended for the rest of season.

Reaction Score
Been a longtime since I posted here but this topic is something I was actually discussing with my dad and godfather the other day all 3 of us Uconn alums. I brought up how UConn has slayed just about all the blue blood dragons over the years but the one that still alludes us is Kansas. Slaying that last dragon would definitely be something I would love to see.

I remember that Florida game in 1994 I remember Donyell stepping to the line and thinking the game was over, he was our best player and all he had to do was hit one of two and he ended up missing both. We all know what happened in OT. I was so disheartened because BC had upset UNC earlier and I went in thinking we were going to the F4 because we had beaten BC twice that year.
I was at Spring Break in Florida for that. That game ruined my Spring Break. I couldn't believe he missed both. I thought Donyell owed it to the fans to come back for another year after missing those free throws. He was so great all year from the line. I loved Donyell. He had such a complete game.

I always say Ray Allen's team having to play UCLA in 1996 cost us a national championship. UCLA was the one team that could outscore us. Tyus Freakin' Edney.

Reaction Score
I was at Spring Break in Florida for that. That game ruined my Spring Break. I couldn't believe he missed both. I thought Donyell owed it to the fans to come back for another year after missing those free throws. He was so great all year from the line. I loved Donyell. He had such a complete game.

I always say Ray Allen's team having to play UCLA in 1996 cost us a national championship. UCLA was the one team that could outscore us. Tyus Freakin' Edney.
If only Tyus Edney had missed that miracle shot against Missouri in the first found...we then probably could've had our first title back in 1995.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was at Kemper for that 1995 game. It was a doubleheader with both the mens team and the womens team. Maybe the first ever mens womens doubleheader televised on CBS? Wonen won and we were ranked like #2 in the country. KU won the tap, scored on a dunk and the rout was on. Seriously, UConn never in the game! Payback would be sweet!
I was there too, with law school friends (had recently graduated) all in KU attire and I had my UConn stuff on. I talked a good game since we came in #2 (the men), but that beatdown sure put an end to that. Sadly we couldn’t win the next one in Hartford, but that KU team was loaded.

Reaction Score
1965?
1994?
1995?
1999?

This edition of Huskies wasn't yet alive. But hey, if it works...
1965 we got to play top 20 St Joes in Philly in the NCAA . The BY complaining about draws is silly in comparison.
Toby Kimball got 28 rebounds in a tough loss as I beat the heck out of my Pillow . I’m brutal to watch a game with .
2014 was revenge for 1965 I never thought of that . along with Florida 1994 the great Donyell missing 2 FT and MSU 2009 in the FF .
1990 was the biggest heartbreak I still hate Duke for they one and 1999 the sweetest revenge of all.
The comeback in 2004 when the Dukies had it all wrapped . But Emeka was a man playing against boys .
We still owe Pintino for 3 losses and for running up the score and embarrassing us in 2014 at Louisville and trying to do it again in the AAC final . But Bazz & Company grew up as a team in that second half and said not this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom