I love Football and this Board... That being said would we actually save money if they canceled the season? | The Boneyard

I love Football and this Board... That being said would we actually save money if they canceled the season?

Reaction Score
Not trying to pin Basketball fans vs Football Fans, but just curious would we actually save money on not having to lease the Rent, Travel Costs, and other stuff?

Reaction Score
Also just realized I have an old Bobby Fancy pants quote as my quote.... should probably change that.

Reaction Score
In terms of costs of losing a football season UConn would not be as impacted as a Texas or Florida so it’s all relative. Not a crazy idea.

Reaction Score
Maybe in a vacuum? I understand the question and it is something I looked at the other day. Men's and Women's basketball we know may run expenses higher than revenue at the moment, but in the Big East going forward I expect that to change in travel cost savings & increased attendance AND when you account for externalities like increase in applications and it serving as a marketing function it is comes out as a net positive.

Football these days is a big loser on paper for UConn and most G5 institutions and currently does not have those positive externalities for UConn, but when thinking about how much money UConn stands to lose if no football means no kids back on campus by the fall, plus no money from a TV deal if no games are played, plus how that would affect deals they have with Nike, IMG, etc. It is really hard to say.

Reaction Score
If this seems like a good idea to anyone here even a little bit, then it is time to lobby your president and AD to drop the sport altogether. You can't half a** participation at The FBS Level. If your own fans won't miss the team no one else will either.

Reaction Score
Our football program has been building towards this for years. 1k fans or no fans what's the difference. We may be the best equipped to handle it. While others lose millions we get a slap on the wrist. Look at Cincinnati already

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Stay in Norwalk. You love football but not UConn football apparently.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Let's start with Scholarships - you have about 80 out there and you run the risk of paying them if a kid doesn't leave. Then you have a Title 9 issue with imbalance of scholarships - so that will affect the women's sports. Can't look at this in a vacuum - it is much bigger. Plus, with the UConn accounting hoo doo, the expenses get shifted to basketball where they won't be profitable. Big PR issue there.

Reaction Score
Honestly if UConnjust dropped all sports or followed the D 3 model we would save a ton. Wesleyan pays their coaching staffs for all sports less than Dan Hurley makes on the average Thursday.

Reaction Score
The answer is likely no, revenue dries up completely and many of the expenses are still there.

We won't lose nearly as much as the P5 schools but not having any football would still be a financial net negative for UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you will see sports in outdoor arenas before indoor. The basketball season is actually in jeopardy now.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What will be intriguing will be if UConn keeps the games against teams like Fresno St, etc. Will they pay the costs to fly across country for a game with no pay day? I'm not sure....if we see a return to regional games, I'm not going to be shocked to see UConn play the big payday games and then see what they can get closer to home. COVID is going to kill a lot of college sports. To be honest, I think the AAC is going to struggle mightily to stick this out. The conference is so spread out that flying everywhere is more costly than the revenue.

Reaction Score
This is precisely the reason I hate being a Uconn fan. Our fan base is really pathetic. I vacillate between getting angry about it and not caring. I guess I am getting too old for the fight.

Reaction Score
If this seems like a good idea to anyone here even a little bit, then it is time to lobby your president and AD to drop the sport altogether. You can't half a** participation at The FBS Level. If your own fans won't miss the team no one else will either.
If they can be more competitive fans will come back in force.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think you will see sports in outdoor arenas before indoor. The basketball season is actually in jeopardy now.

I get the idea that outdoors is safer than indoors, but what's a bigger risk, 110,000 people at the Big House or 10,000 at a Michigan MBB game?

Reaction Score
The answer is likely no, revenue dries up completely and many of the expenses are still there.

We won't lose nearly as much as the P5 schools but not having any football would still be a financial net negative for UCONN.
Exactly. The Rent is a fixed obligation. You still have to pay the staff, unless the plan is to rebuild from scratch. The team would evaporate unless you kept them on scholarship, and it still might if there were other places to go. The schools who really get killed are the P5 who cash flow from TV revenues, and carry big staff overhead.

Reaction Score
Really that is not far fetched. Some models predict a return of the virus during “cold and flu” season which is late fall through roughly April. Attendance is already being threatened. A significant return will really endanger the indoor sports.

Reaction Score
I get the idea that outdoors is safer than indoors, but what's a bigger risk, 110,000 people at the Big House or 10,000 at a Michigan MBB game?
Statistically, the same. If you have a 4% (made up number) chance of contracting a disease, it doesn't matter if you are in a crowd of 100 or 1,000,000.. you have a 4% chance of contracting the disease.

Reaction Score
im Guessing about the same. People in a confined space are more endangered that in open space but more are obviously a problem. Honestly though even if they do play I doubt 110000 show up at the Big House for a while. Or 10000 at a gym. If this thing is still around do you want to be sitting on top of a guy coughing his brains out? Or worse next to the guy who spikes a fever TOMORROW...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That's not good the right comparison. You won't see 110000 in the big house until 2021. The better comparison is 30,000 in the big house versus 3000. For a basketball game.

You won't see full stadiums this year.

Reaction Score
UConn football should not have a problem with social distancing given 10,000 fans in a 40,000 stadium. Division. If the discussion of canceling college football starts picking up momentum, NCAA should work from the bottom up with a bottom-feeders league for Fall 2020 with UConn, URI Umass New Mexico East Carolina etc. so at least we have some football to watch.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been to the Big House. They jam you in there so tightly I reckon a virus would spread to all 110,000 before halftime. Like an invisible version of "The Wave".

Reaction Score
If they can be more competitive fans will come back in force.

That's not really what is in question here. I agree a winning team could increase attendance, however my concern is that if the sport goes away for an entire season the fans will go away with it. With The NCAA mulling a one time transfer rule allowing movement without penalty, the prospect of returning a competitive team in 2021 would be bleak should opportunities to play elsewhere exist in 2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom