I left at the half and I'm not ashamed of it. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I left at the half and I'm not ashamed of it.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear a reason from the coaching staff as to how a 4 year corner does not know how to turn and look for the ball especially when he is in coverage in the endzone. Why is this accepted as good enough to start and play all game? Why don't we try and start coverage closer to the line of scrimmage.

Part of the issue is there are 3 DBs out injured (McAllister/Swenson/Herring-Wilson) and another now suspended (Robinson).

It doesn’t matter where they start coverage/or what the coverage call is @ times - they still get burnt and continue to show poor fundamentals.

WATCH: Missouri's WR Moore catches 2nd TD of night

3 examples in this link.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They are all set back at ten yards. It's a gimme play all game long. The worst part is there is no way to close on the throw and then they are out of position one on one. It's asinine. I'd rather have them up on the line in bump cover. They will get burnt long on occasion but they are dying by gimme chunks. This has to be on Crocker, because it's consistent and unchanging. The DBs show no cover skills or basic football tackling skills. These DBs have not improved. I'm telling you this guy SUCKS and the numbers show it.

Crocker should be outta here on Monday a.m. Somebody has to put a stop to this snowshow on defense. Good heavens.

Reaction Score
The D is beyond help at this point in the season. It's a rebuild and they ought to scrap the whole D coaching staff. To even allow those cushions all game is beyond incompetence. To have players not turning their heads this late in the season is inexcusable. To have players not being able to wrap up on tackles is just schit poor.

PS - we left with 2 minutes remaining. I felt badly but it was just too disgusting watching a junior scrimmage any longer.

You felt badly leaving with two minutes to go down 40? Wow you really like uconn.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear a reason from the coaching staff as to how a 4 year corner does not know how to turn and look for the ball especially when he is in coverage in the endzone. Why is this accepted as good enough to start and play all game?
And 1.5 steps from going out of bounds. Time to turn and go up in the air.

Yes, there is an issue of which way to turn and the coaching staff should be able to help with cues for that decision. But how about for starters just take a guess? You almost can't go wrong in that situation!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I left at halftime too, and don't feel guilty about it at all. Football is supposed to be entertaining. I had a couple of non-football fans in my group, and this game was torture for them.

You can't leave a train wreck like Diaco in charge for 3 years, and expect to flip the switch overnight. Missouri is a bad P5 team, but they are still a P5 team. That means our guys need to know how to play at a P5 level to be competitive with a team like Missouri. Our guys have had 3 years of Diaco coaching, so no, they do not know how to play at a P5 level. Simple coaching competence can catch UConn up to bottom half AAC teams like Tulsa, but UConn has a long way to go before it can compete with teams like Missouri.

Reaction Score
I showed up +8, looking forward to this game after the 9-6 loss two years ago. Sat in my seat before the game started and noticed the student section half empty from the start. And as I watched the total disaster play out and left in the middle of the third quarter it occurred to me. If the students could give a about UConn football, then why should I. The product on the field is unwatchable. I HATE our student support of our team, but at least I understand. As for Summers, I’ve never seen a player in my entire life degrade like this. He was absolutely lock down his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
I'm not knocking you hill but the score was 21-2 at the end of the first quarter and we left 10 points on the field with the missed kick and wide open TD debacle. In the end you were smarter than me for hitting the road early but still a bit premature in my book.
And of course you are quite right. My mistake. I think that the fact that UConn was playing so poorly had more to do with it although 21-2 is an awful score after about 12.5 minutes of play. UConn was totally intimidated. Even Bryant lacked poise and was so jacked up he was making bad passes. Which was strange because he played in that game two years ago.

I remember the Michigan game. Both our OL and DL outsized Michigan's lines and there was a huge amount of trash talking going on as the teams came up to the line of scrimmage. I was sitting further away last night, but I didn't sense that there was much trash talking going on. UConn was simply intimidated.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I showed up +8, looking forward to this game after the 9-6 loss two years ago. Sat in my seat before the game started and noticed the student section half empty from the start. And as I watched the total disaster play out and left in the middle of the third quarter it occurred to me. If the students could give a about UConn football, then why should I. The product on the field is unwatchable. I HATE our student support of our team, but at least I understand. As for Summers, I’ve never seen a player in my entire life degrade like this. He was absolutely lock down his sophomore year.
Honestly though, I don’t think the student issue is a UConn specific one. At BC last year I vividly recall seeing a decent sized student section filled in that by after halftime, in a game they were winning, was almost empty. Having a stadium on campus won’t solve the issue and I really think folks are not seeing a need to go to games anymore, no matter the program or sport. With the advances in watching games on Tv, or on a mobile device, plus the ease of just even checking a score makes not going to a game easy. I know some places will always have amazing student support but even schools like Texas AM are having attendance issues.

Live sports in general are facing a problem. People have many different ways to watch events now. Going to a game is just an additional expense for some that they don’t deem necessary. Honestly, at this point, I look forward to the tailgating more then the game.

Reaction Score
I left after the first two drives in the 3rd. Came out flat. And had to drive my son back up to Boston. Generally would have stayed but we all have our limits.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I left after the first two drives in the 3rd. Came out flat. And had to drive my son back up to Boston. Generally would have stayed but we all have our limits.

The gameday experience- tailgating, being part of crowd, etc is the only reason to shell out those kind of bucks. At any stadium for any sport the actual on field results are a giant variable.

Reaction Score
Well, my wife and I and our guests stayed till the final gun. I don’t say that with any hubris. I say it because had you stayed you would have seen Pindell play QB in the last quarter and realize he’s not the answer for next season. And here’s the most obvious point. Had BS hit any number of our open receivers, we could have won this game. That’s right. Those dropped passes and over/under thrown passes would have kept drives alive and our D off the field. Don’t despair. We’ll win a few more this season.

Reaction Score
The gameday experience- tailgating, being part of crowd, etc is the only reason to shell out those kind of bucks. At any stadium for any sport the actual on field results are a giant variable.

And to add insult to injury I didn’t even get there till 6. My son was running outside of Providence at 2. So I twisted myself into a pretzel to get both of us to the game and that’s what I got in return. And the ice luge was melted by the time I got to blue lot. :/

Reaction Score
Well, my wife and I and our guests stayed till the final gun. I don’t say that with any hubris. I say it because had you stayed you would have seen Pindell play QB in the last quarter and realize he’s not the answer for next season. And here’s the most obvious point. Had BS hit any number of our open receivers, we could have won this game. That’s right. Those dropped passes and over/under thrown passes would have kept drives alive and our D off the field. Don’t despair. We’ll win a few more this season.
We may have been the only one's left in our section Nos...

Reaction Score
One of our sons had his A-Team football game moved from it's normal Sunday 1PM start to yesterday at 8PM - due to today's impending weather. So, we had no choice but to leave shortly before half to meet him at his game. Our other son, whose work schedule limits the number of games he can attend, was looking forward to the UConn game last night. We normally stay to the end, so leaving early felt "weird" to me. As we were leaving, I said... I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of people right behind us once half time hits. I have not yet watched the DVR-ed 2nd half, but from all of the ESPN updates I was seeing on my phone and everything I've read so far on the BY, unfortunately, it sounds like we saw everything we needed to before we left.

The good news - My son's team won 34-0 and is on to the playoffs. Oh, and one more thing... their CBs consistently turned their heads when the ball was headed their way... just sayin'.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Thank you for the laugh.

Reaction Score
Man, we had a great tailgate and got in early full of pi$$ and vinegar. A quick safety and we were jacked! And then it happened...

Once the “experts” kicked in with their narrative I really became aggravated. When the guy that I teed up in the HC game called Joseph a “stupid idiot” for Missing a tackle, I turned and said “Are we really going here again?” but my father-in-law told me to let it go, and I did. The “experts” left at the half and we stayed through the 3rd. The two drops on the same drive left me completely deflated. I was more mad at myself for letting these guys get to me than I was about the game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And here’s the most obvious point. Had BS hit any number of our open receivers, we could have won this game. That’s right. Those dropped passes and over/under thrown passes would have kept drives alive and our D off the field.

The peyote is strong with this one. :rolleyes:

Even if BS played perfectly, and even if the wide receivers didn't drop the 10+ balls... do any of them know how to play defense?

Mizzou took their foot off the gas pedal in the third freaking quarter. Literally, with personnel changes. Third quarter.

It was going to take close to 60 points to win last night. I admire how you think just a few small changes would have achieved the 60 points necessary to win.

Bottom line is (and this is coming from one of the biggest Boneyard optimists out there): until we learn how to stop a forward pass on defense, the outcome will not change...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The peyote is strong with this one. :rolleyes:

Even if BS played perfectly, and even if the wide receivers didn't drop the 10+ balls... do any of them know how to play defense?

Mizzou took their foot off the gas pedal in the third freaking quarter. Literally, with personnel changes. Third quarter.

It was going to take close to 60 points to win last night. I admire how you think just a few small changes would have achieved the 60 points necessary to win.

Bottom line is (and this is coming from one of the biggest Boneyard optimists out there): until we learn how to stop a forward pass on defense, the outcome will not change...

Missouri ran the ball at will too.

They could have lined it up and jammed it down UConn’s throats the entire game if they took that route.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the laugh.
Glad to oblige. Of course, there’s truth in many old adages such as don’t let the inmates run the asylum, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water, and he who laughs last, laughs best.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Glad to oblige. Of course, there’s truth in many old adages such as don’t let the inmates run the asylum, don’t throw the baby out with the bath water, and he who laughs last, laughs best.

#toosoon

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Missouri ran the ball at will too.

They could have lined it up and jammed it down UConn’s throats the entire game if they took that route.

At least that way, it's harder for them to score 50 points though because the clock keeps running... :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom